Nutrition Expert Forum
Aggravated and Confused over iron deficiency anemia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Aggravated and Confused over iron deficiency anemia

Also posted in blood disorders....

Over the past couple years I have had low iron saturation levels.  I am now considered to have iron deficiency anemia. I take 325 mg iron/day.  At first my iron saturation did not cause any issue with red blood cells it was just low.  I just had my blood work done again earlier this week.  My iron saturation is now down to 5 (15-55), my iron serum is down to 19 (normal 35-155), also I have a low creatinine serum, low MVP, MCV, MCHC, MCH and high RDW.  I take my iron and it does not improve the numbers.  They just get worse.  I asked my doctor what to do now since the oral iron is doing no good.  He said NOTHING.  I don't understand why my values are not improving, nor do I understand why my doctor suggests doing nothing about it.  Can anyone give me any input?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
267079_tn?1195146570
Did your doctor test for vitamin B12 and folate levels? You may not have iron deficiency anemia. Iron, vitamin B12 and folate are all closely related and effect each other. Suggest going to another doctor or a Hematologist to get a complete iron profile with vitamin B12 and folate to determine what is causing the issues and receive proper treatment. Hoped this helped you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank