Nutrition Expert Forum
Aspartame withdrawal symptoms?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Aspartame withdrawal symptoms?

Hi all.  I decided to stop drinking diet soda about 5 days ago.  I'd been drinking 6 to 12 12-ounce diet sodas just about every day for the last two years or so.  Before then I'd generally drink what amounted to half a gallon or so per day.

I've known it's not good, so I finally decided to stop.  I just stopped buying it, and never thought anything of it.  I never would have imagined that a person might go withdrawal symptoms before I got online tonight and starting googling.  

I've beat a nicotine habit before, and this doesn't feel anything like that.  I don't have a craving for diet soda like I did for nicotine.  I actually feel really good, with a few exceptions.  One is that I'm grouchy as hell towards other people.  I mean, I'm an absolute bear.  I just want to be left alone; I can't even stand the sound of people talking on the televison.

And the other, without giving you too much information, is diarrhea.  I have no other flu-like symptoms at all.  My stomach doesn't hurt... I have an appetite, no fatigue, etc.  But it's like water just goes right through me.  

I was giving my girlfriend the details, and she thought it might be my body getting rid of the buildup of chemicals in my body.  She's not a doctor, though, and neither am I, which is why I thought I'd post the question here.

These are really strange symptoms, and for the most part I feel really good.  I had been struggling with severe anxiety.  But then, I was in a really stressful situation involving financial problems and the IRS.  A few days ago I got a break and found out that I'm basically out of the woods as far as all that goes, which was a HUGE weight off of me.  I decided to start living more healthy the day I got the news... I stopped drinking diet soda, and started excercising.

So I can't narrow it down to one thing for sure since a few things have changed, but I feel better than I've felt in a long time now.  Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!    
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5/10"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
215
It sounds like you have had a lot of things going on at once in your life and it is good you stopped drinking diet soda. There is research that some people are allergic to aspartame. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Suggest drinking water which is better for our bodies. A Heart Healthy diet would be the best type of diet to help decrease any complications of the disease, and to stay healthy overall. A Heart Healthy diet means a moderate fat diet to lower the fat content of your foods and increase ‘good’ fats to benefit your body. Moderate fat diet means = use polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), substitute dairy products (low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). This is a healthy way of eating for you to be continuing to be healthy. Walking is also the best form of exercise and you can simply do that by increase walking to 1/2 hour a day. That 1/2-hour can be broken up through the day, 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there. Hope this helped to give you some ideas.