Nutrition Expert Forum
Aspartame withdrawal symptoms?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Aspartame withdrawal symptoms?

Hi all.  I decided to stop drinking diet soda about 5 days ago.  I'd been drinking 6 to 12 12-ounce diet sodas just about every day for the last two years or so.  Before then I'd generally drink what amounted to half a gallon or so per day.

I've known it's not good, so I finally decided to stop.  I just stopped buying it, and never thought anything of it.  I never would have imagined that a person might go withdrawal symptoms before I got online tonight and starting googling.  

I've beat a nicotine habit before, and this doesn't feel anything like that.  I don't have a craving for diet soda like I did for nicotine.  I actually feel really good, with a few exceptions.  One is that I'm grouchy as hell towards other people.  I mean, I'm an absolute bear.  I just want to be left alone; I can't even stand the sound of people talking on the televison.

And the other, without giving you too much information, is diarrhea.  I have no other flu-like symptoms at all.  My stomach doesn't hurt... I have an appetite, no fatigue, etc.  But it's like water just goes right through me.  

I was giving my girlfriend the details, and she thought it might be my body getting rid of the buildup of chemicals in my body.  She's not a doctor, though, and neither am I, which is why I thought I'd post the question here.

These are really strange symptoms, and for the most part I feel really good.  I had been struggling with severe anxiety.  But then, I was in a really stressful situation involving financial problems and the IRS.  A few days ago I got a break and found out that I'm basically out of the woods as far as all that goes, which was a HUGE weight off of me.  I decided to start living more healthy the day I got the news... I stopped drinking diet soda, and started excercising.

So I can't narrow it down to one thing for sure since a few things have changed, but I feel better than I've felt in a long time now.  Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!    
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5/10"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
: