Nutrition Community
B6 Toxicity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Viewing 1001-1080 comments:
Thanks for your post!  It is now in my 9th week of being off my supplements.  I had my level retested 2 weeks ago and it is now normal.  It seems that since then my symptoms have gotten a little worse.  Not sure if it is the heavy exercise I'm doing and it is drawing the vitamin B6 out of the muscles????  the muscle twitching is the most annoying.  The tingling is tolerable, and the burning hands and feet are occasional.  How long does the annoying twitching last?  Does your twitching sometimes cause your arms or legs to jump? I feel like I may be starting a cycle of better days, but we shall see......  It is hard to see if I'm progressing as I go from good to bad, which makes me forget about the good days and focus on  the bad days...... is that how you felt???  Am I asking too much since it has only been 9 weeks????  Thanks for your insight!!!!
It has been 8 weeks for me. The tingling is subsiding. I know it's going to be a while, but I think things are turning around. Still have walking issues but am seeing a surgeon tomorrow to confirm that it is spinal stenosis causing it - not necessarily going to get surgery, but do want his opinion.
thank you for your response!  Can I ask how long you were on the B6 supplements, and how high your level was???  Did you symptoms come on suddenly or slowly??? thanks again!
Hi everyone just wondering is fatuige a main issue for everyone and brain fog? I never had any problems with my energy levels untill the b complex overdose.Its been 2 years from i stoped my vitimin and still have systoms i only took b6 for one month it really does cause lot neurologal damage just hope it is all reversible
I finally found this thread again (will have to remember to book mark it). No way I can read the whole thing. But, like many of the posters on the first page of messages - I was on a low dose b6 under doctor recommendation (taking folic acid, b12, b6 for high homocysteine levels) and within three months started to have issues with nueropathy, blurred vision, dizzy spells, within a year I wasn't able to walk for a whole three months due to severe dizziness; severe fatigue, brain fog, you name it - I had it. You could go down the entire list of symptoms and I could check them off one at a time without missing a beat.

I saw dozens of specialists including being tested at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clincs and Mayo Clinic in Rochester and no one found anything. Multiple suggestions I needed psychiatric care. About 18 months in my mother got tested and found out she had b6 toxicity and suggested I should get tested as well. It took three years of badgering, then finally insulting the doctors before they would agree to test me (after all, low dose b6 shouldn't cause an issue). I don't have a copy of my test any longer, but I'm thinking it was 91 on a scale that said 23 was normal and 40's was toxic.

When the doctors told me that I tested positive for it, I asked them what was next and got a ton of shrugs. I later found out I have several MTHFR genetic defects and had recurrently had issues with low b12... and that I could tolerate the normal over-the-counter dose of folic acid either.  My serum levels dropped pretty quickly once I stopped taking it, but the symptoms remained.  I didn't get told 3 years would give any indication, I was basically left on my own.  I started following a treatment plan that started with Ben Lynch's site - mthfr.net; to treat my continued fatigue and health issues and one of the treatments besides taking methylcobalamin (b12) and methylfolate, p5p AND epsom salt baths seemed to really turn around the nueropathy. I'm still ill, mind you... but have had periods of remission that seem to reflect that I'm on a good start - and that following methylation and detox might be part of what I need.

What I don't know now and don't know how to figure out - is with the symptoms that remain that seem to be part of the list from b6 toxicity and NEW symptoms that seem unrelated to b6 toxicity - is what I have now something new? A mixture of the two? I've been off of b6 supplements for five years now (well, besides the occasional p5p which I seem to tolerate)... and the nueropathy is gone. But the dizziness (low blood pressure being treated with salt intake increase) heart palpitations (taking potassium), chronic pain (epsom salt baths, muscle relaxants), fatigue (taking methylation related supplements), history of blood clots (clotting disorder); and muscle weakness, weird lumps under my skin, frequent spontaneous rib dislocations... I'm at a loss as to what else is going on as it doesn't feel like it's still 'just' b6 toxicity.
This B6 thing seems to throw the body out of whack and could unmask any existing problems, exacerbating existing diseases that might have been previously symptomless.

A lot here say symptoms are worse when ill. I can tell when I am coming down with a cold etc because the twitching picks up a day before the runny nose starts. This might suggest an auto-immune thing that follows B6 toxicity.

Just guessing.

Most of my symptoms have eased after a year+ off the pills, yet the twitching seems to be spreading around, but there are times it almost goes away and I feel "cured".

A lot of body aches have gone but my fingers/hands still ache when I pick up heavy things - anyone else get sore fingers and thumbs?

Hi everyone how does exersise effect you before b6 toxicty i felt great after but now i feel drained it makes my systoms worse more fatuige brain fog.How did ur energy improve? I find im fine with foods high in b6 im veg juicing and take omega fish oils help any advise would be great. thanks

Hi Penny,

could you please describe your dizziness to me? Is it the feeling that you get when you get up too quickly from sitting, let's say, or is it more like the ground is moving or the surroundings are spinning?

I hope you get better fast, btw.

Thanks.
My dizziness was the entire world was spinning and heaving like a tiny raft at sea that was spinning while riding waves... along with a sense of falling. My eyes and balance were lying to me and I'd feel like the only way to stay upright was to counter balance (which would land me on the floor).

Only my sense of touch would help. I'd experience the sensation unless I was flat on my back. I'd still be experiencing it if I was upright - but if I could touch a wheelchair, or hand on a wall, or a person's shoulder I could 'feel' the disconnect and the falling sensation would back off.

I was never so relieved to have the worse of that pass. It came on gradually, a few dizzy spells a day to a few an hour - until it was 24 hours a day for a period of 3 months during which I was bedridden. Suddenly, with no real explanation - it dropped back to being dizzy sells a few an hour again, and to this day I still have a few dizzy spells a day here and there, although now they think it's from low blood pressure.
Hi Penny,

I am really so sorry you went through that. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

I had never had dizziness issues until this B6 toxicity messed me up in so many ways. I have the sensation of either the floor rocking/bouncing or me being on a boat. They dx'ed me with "migraine associated vertigo" - a migraine variant (don't need to have a headache with it ) and put me on preventive meds for it. I know B6 did it to me but I wonder if the mechanism is thru migraine (which is what I and the drs think) or through something else since yours sound different. Did you have head fullness, brain fog, sensitivity to light (especially computers and fluorescent) with it?

I hope you do get better and better.

Asli.
I did (to some degree) - sadly some of those other nuerological symptoms remain even though the dizziness is mostly gone. I, too, had one nuerologist claim it was migraine aura. I've had less than a handful of migraines in my life, never with an aura and I was having these spells that became 24x7 and yet, still no migraine pain ever. The explanation I got was that you don't have to have pain. But the other ten nuerologists I saw after that explained that eventually I would get a headache... but I never did. But they didn't agree with the diagnosis.

They didn't have a replacement diagnosis, but all of this was before they discovered my b6 toxicity.
Thanks, Penny.

I do have headaches with them (though not what I would have though were migraine-type, but definitely daily headaches).

Going back to your question in your original post in your last paragraph: re: new sx such as ribs dislocating, clotting disorders, etc.. I didn't get any of those, nor do I remember others mentioning them in the posts I read here (and I read every single post 4 - 5 times if not more over and over again). I didn't come across them in my months of research on the topic either. So I would think you have other issues going on (whether caused by B6 or not) that might have a name of their own as a condition(s), so to say.

Also, be careful with the other supplements you are taking. I had read cautions against supplementing with Potassium, for example. But your doctor would know better. I hope you get better.
Hello i have been recovery from b6 toxity for 2 years had lot brain fog fatuge issues some days ate better than others worse with caffiene etc.I noticed u said about potassium ive had terrible reaction to anything with potassium in it even small amounts cause tingling burning not sure why im ok with food tho.
I have terrible issues with magnesium; potassium is going ok but it is with doctor overview and my potassium has been testing low. I've suffered chronic diahrrea with the intestinal issues and it has thrown off my electrolytes. Salt and potassium has helped - magnesium I don't tolerate - but maybe I'm getting enough of them through my epsom salt baths? I've finally (I think) gotten a handle on all my new food intollerances so I am hoping that if I can get the gastric issues under control that I could possibly drop the salt and potassium.
How long were you takin  b6 for when you become toxic? Did you have fatuige or ringing in ears? I was only taking b complex for a month takes a long time recover from :-(
I'm not completely sure. I was taking it because I had high homocysteine levels which weren't tested until I was diagnosed with bilateral massive pulmonary embolism. I felt like I was recovering well from that for the first three months, but right around the three month mark is when I started to get worse. Within 9 months I was bed ridden from the dizziness. I was flat on my back for about three months and started to recover from that. It was about three years later that I finally got tested for the b6 toxicity and found positive for it. It was another six years of pretty severe symptoms after stopping taking b6 before I found out about epsom salt baths and methylfolate and other ways to boost the methylation process and started to get some relief. Not all my symptoms are gone - and as I've mentioned, a few seem related to possibly something else altogether (so I have a lot more to figure out). But the dizziness/vertigo is down to rare and occasional; the pins/needles/temperature issues are gone and my balance is improved by a great deal.

I did have the worst fatigue - just crushing (sadly, I still have the fatigue to some degree now - but my supplements have helped a great deal).

I don't really remember ringing in the ears, though I have noticed some slight hearing loss (no idea if it's tied to anything other than getting older/listening to loud rock music when I was a teen or something else altogether). It seems to be certain tones or in certain situations.
Thanks for ur reply penny im not sure if the b6 toxity has triggered some sort of chronic fatuge issues as i had plenty of energy before i started b complex i had to give up up iz i just diddnt have energy for it What supplements do you take for energy?I take omega fish oils do veg juicing but it only helps so much still so tired its like b6 overdose has messed my nervous systom i just hope its all reversible i mite try siberain ginseng ilive heard its good boost energy etc very nervous about trying herbs vitimins after the b6 issue :-( thought u would have recovered i stopped vitimin 2 years ago.Even small amount b6 would flare burning up again.
Can anyone recomend any supplments help ur energy fatuge etc while healing from b6?
I have a TON of supplements, but really - I started at MTHFRsupport.net for the treatment protocols for Methylation treatment. Had a doctor tweak it and as I'm learning more I'm now on pheonixrising.me - that site is about ME/CFS - but a LOT of people on there are exceptionally knowledgeable about supplements to help with fatigue for methylation process.

I found out about the methylation process as a result of learning that I had a genetic condition - MTHFR (which is actually VERY common) - and it can lead to the high homocysteine levels that started the whole mess. While having toxic b6 levels doesn't automatically mean that you might have MTHFR, the truth is that I do think there is a link as there are a few of us that have these genes as well as issues with B6 and in fact - the breakdown of b6 into a format that the body can use and eliminate efficiently? is all tied to the methylation process which doesn't work as efficiently when you have an MTHFR genetic issue.

Since the methylation process is what helps break down and process b6 (as well as some of the other b vitamins and other toxins) improving it (even if you don't have MTHFR defects) may help while trying to recover from b6 toxicity.

It's worth taking at least a look into it. My regular doctor reads uptodate.com which basically says that MTHFR genes are a minor inconvenience and while they raise the risk of lots of conditions, there's no known treatment - or any recommendations for patients. My Integrative MD doctor is following all the latest studies and says that while there is still a lot of unknowns about the genes, that they know what they break and through experimentation there are a lot of supplements that can improve quality of living when you are fatigued... and he's not just blowing smoke - the methylation treatment process has helped me tremendously.
Hi all does anyone thing b6 toxity can trigger cfs/chronic fatuge sydrome? I think this is what happened to me never had any health problems prior to b6 overdose now have fatuge pain in my ears after exersise which is man systoms of cfs feeling flu like after to much activity :-( to think i have caused this by taking to much of vitimin for one month. Any advise would be great thanks
I am pretty sure I have CFS... as I have all the hallmark symptoms - sadly, a few extra. Between the extra odd things and the history of b6 toxicity it throws enough of a question into the mix that I don't really have a diagnosis right now.  

I feel your pain, to go through this just form taking 'harmless' supplements. In my case, it wasn't even that I was taking a high dosage, I was taking a small dose under doctor's orders for a few years - even though I started to get ill within 3 months of taking it, the doctors didn't realize that some patients don't tolerate even low doses and never connected the new symptoms to the B6 even though my initial illness was textbook b6 toxicity.  Makes me wonder why the doctors deserve the high fees they charge.
How long does it take the muscle twitching to go away???  Does it go away before the tingling hands and feet or after??  Thanks!!!!!
One person on here said they still had twitches after three years. I am more than a year off B6 and the twitching is less "powerful" but just as prevalent. I don't think there is a straight answer to your question as all bodies react differently. I am recovering so slowly I wonder if I am recovering at all.  
I'm new here. I was browsing the web for b6 toxicity. I saw lots here and you seemed informed. More than I am. I don't think I should start at the beginning but a precursor .....I have been treated for Lyme disease. Then a naturopath took over and gave me b complex ( with other sups). I stopped most but continued with b6,d ,c and magnesium. Blood test. B6. Range was 30-90. I was 431. Wow. Stopped b6. But I'm not sure 3 months would put me that high on such a low dose. I have lyme symptoms which might be b6 toxicity symptoms. I'm not getting rid of it. Any ideas why.
My diet is clean. I even stopped eating many bananas.
Tough situation, it would be hard to know what symptoms are B6 and what are lyme. But 431 is definitely toxic and enough to do damage. Recovery is slow, but it happens. I don't know much about lyme.
Hi all just a question this is ash123 i had to set new profile up. has anyone exspearance random body pains/cramps? Im 2 years into healing at start i got body pain then it stops with some tingling just but now the body pains have come back arms  legs not taking anything different? Could this still be my nerves healing? Any advise  would very great..
I am about two years into heeling and I am getting all sorts of odd muscle pains, and sometimes my hands go a bit stuff. My fingers ache a lot. I get tingling and itches. I did some manual work and my hand went numb for two days. My tongue gets sore and clumsy and sometimes I bite it, makes me think I am getting ALS, then it gets better! Has happened two or three times. If I am indeed healing it is a very slow and strange process.  

Thanks for ur reply yes it seems systoms change all the time that pains can come back after long time im doin nothing different.Hopefully its just sign  ogre healing :-) How's you fatuge? Mine  is starting to lift now thankfully
Also i have noticed muscle twitching past week havnt had this in years.I never thought that nerve took so long to heal.
I have plenty of muscle twitching. It moves around. Fatigue is not too bad, but I have an office job. If I had a laboring job I'd be cactus by midday.
Hi, been following this blog and wondered if anyone could give me there considered opinion.  I had no idea about B6 toxicity. Myself and my wife had been unsuccessfully trying for children for several years and started taking some vitamins that were prescribed by a homeopathic professional in late September 2014! In an attempt to clean up our bodies etc.  My regimen was mainly made up of natural source E and Bio-immunozyme forte. Amongst it's constituents it included 60mg per day of vitamin b6 but it was p5p form.

After 2 months I started to have some fairly intense peripheral neuropathy start in my feet. I can't tell you how scared I was and at the time I didn't link it to the possibility that it may be due to b6. Infact I went the other way and since I had recently ran out of my p5p, I started taking my wife's vitmamin B with cofactors which was made up of b6 pyridoxine hydrochloride and I was consuming about 100g per day sometime 150g for another 3 weeks and I also took decent doses of magnesium at this time - I had read at this time that vitamin b12 can help and this was a cofactor.  I suffered vibrating, buzzing  and burning feet and very mild sensations in my hands and elsewhere. I went to the DR and we were concerned it could be stress. Blood tests revealed no abnormalities. We didn't test for b6 but we discussed the vitamins and she said I should just stop them. I haven't taken any supplements since.

5 months later I still get PN every day in both feet, sometime intense, sometimes it's more manageable. The type of sensations are more predictable, they generally buzz and they are sensitive too the cold much of the time and therefore it can feel like a freeze burn. It's rarely painful but very uncomfortable indeed.

I am a 37 year old healthy male. I know I need to go back to the drs but I find the whole thing quite scary. I wanted to see if I could gain any insight from others in a similar situation.

Does any feel it is possible to experience this initially from p5p before making it worse with the pyridoxine?
Haven't seen any papers associating p5p with nerve damage, that's not to say it doesn't cause problems.

Your symptoms sound very much like B6 damage.

Healing is slow but it happens, unless you have an underlying hereditary neuropathy, whereupon the outcome is more uncertain.
Haven't posted in quite a while but thought I should to inject a little optimism.  I first posted on October 29, 2014 and gave a full history at that time.  Had significant classic stocking-glove peripheral neuropathy symptoms that were progressing at a frightening pace until I discovered I was B6 toxic.  Stopped all B6 intake through pills, foods, etc. on September 4th and after a rough many months, I am now nearly symptom free.  Back to work full time, I'm exercising and working out regularly, and feel I'm about 90% back to normal and still improving.

I had many other symptoms that typically don't relate to B6 issues, including joint pains, cracking joints, stiffness,legs that felt like they were filled with concrete, that have also nearly disappeared.  My neuropathy symptoms stopped progressing and began to wane but these didn't start to abate until I changed my relationship with food.   I'm convinced that my abnormally high absorption of B6 and my non B6 symptoms had much to do with intestinal permeability (aka - leaky gut).   I seemed to be absorbing a high amount of cholesterol from food as well - total cholesterol was 300 but when I removed eggs from my diet (2 per day), it dropped to 175, a feat my doc thought was impossible.  High serum B6 and cholesterol confirmed my suspicions about my gut permeability issues, which I've been addressing with probiotics, supplements, and diet.. Removing B6 was necessary but not sufficient for me.  

This is my story.  What has worked for my unique physiology may not apply to most of you but it is probable that a subset of those with B6 toxicity have gut issues.  If you have been suffering for a long time after quitting B6 and have additional symptoms other than those typically attributed to it (e.g., joint pains), keep an open mind to other possibilities.  Good luck to you.
So glad to find this group.
My B6 level is 92. Is this high enough to be toxic & be the cause of my symptoms?
My sx of numbness began in 2000 with just two toes involved. Now it's both legs from just below the knees as in glove-stocking but no sx in hands.
I have severe painful muscle spasms that can be in my feet, lower legs anterior or posterior, thighs, forearms back abdomen. Thank God never all at one time.
Could the spasms be from B6? A neurologist says the sx are related but only gave a Dx of peripherial neuropothy. The high B6 is new. We haven't talked about this yet.
Just a punt, but you may have CMT, brought on by the high B6. Any family history of odd feet or toes and skinny or oversize calves? Might pay to Google CMT. I suspect I have CMT that was almost symptomless until Lipitor and then high B6 brought it roaring to life. Quite a few CMT people report spasms, and B6 is a known CMT "irritant".

I have had mild spasms, more like cramps, as well as muscle aches, and mild atrophy. Hurts my fingers when I grab things hard.

I'm not a doctor.

Bdeviled - it is great that you have worked yours out :)

Ain't the internet grand!
Hi there,

I had ALL your symptoms with B6 toxicity and many more. I tested negative for all types of other diseases (MS etc...) that the neuro put me through, so it was confirmed to be due to B6 toxicity.
So I would say it probably is the B6, so you might want to wait it out or get checked for other awful diseases for your peace of mind.

Best wishes!
Thanks for taking the time to update us!

Really great to hear you are doing so much better! Happy for you and I hope you improve even further!
Just wondering does  anyone exspearance increase in systoms after drinking alcohol?
Early on when I drank it affected me, a pint of beer and my big toes would get stuck in the up position an hour later!

Now it does not seem to hurt, although I might get extra twitching the next day after a few beers :)

Maybe beer has B6 in it?
Glad to have found this site. I have had weird symptoms now for about 4 years.
Dizziness
Vertigo
Muscle burning and aching
Left hand feels like I am being electrocuted
Blurred vision
Abdominal pain and cramps
Extreme thirst
Ear fullness and itching
Left facial numbness
Fog brain, debilitating fatigue,
Left side numbness and bone pain
Chest pain, breast pain, palpitations, itching, vibrating muscles, twitching muscles , heartburn and many more. I stopped the B6 three days ago,

I started taking Vitamin B about 5r years ago on and off. I thought the problem was low magnesium so I was taking more and more B6 and getting worse and worse. Over the past 3 years i have had over 200,000 in tests and hospital visits. I finally had my level tested and it was 70.
Thanks fussyfussy,

I'll continue to monitor and chime in when I think it will be helpful,
Dizziness
Vertigo
Muscle burning and aching  
Blurred vision
Abdominal pain and cramps
Extreme thirst
Ear fullness and itching  
Fog brain, debilitating fatigue,  
Chest pain, breast pain, palpitations, itching, vibrating muscles, twitching muscles , heartburn and many more.

WOW!!! I have all of these and MORE!!! I feel like you were describing me.  I have had every test out there and things looked OK.  Just got my vitamin B6 checked and I was 99.3

I am only taking a prenatal vitamin and getting B12 injections.

How are you doing now?
I have been having blurred vision for the past 3 years and dizziness and muscle weakness in hands and one leg. I get muscle aches and burning, Acid Reflux, Lump in throat, vibrating throughout my body.  I have had every test you can possibly imagine and all was CLEAR  and then found out my Vitamin B6 levels were 99.3.  IS this considered Toxicity?

I am only taking a Prenatal Vitamin that I have been taking for the past 4 years and I started B12 Injections about 14 months ago.

I am also Hypothyroid and have Hashimoto's.  
Hi everyone im  years  into healing and i get flu like systems does anyon else here appearance this?sore ears tired etc
I have only been off fir 3 days. The sad part is that I kind of suspected the B complex years ago. I would stop it and feel better and then my symptoms would get 10x worse and I would take another b complex. Now I know that I was going through detox.  
Tonight I am having horrible muscle twitches. Normally I would take more B complex but nit I know I am detoxing!
I suffer from IBS like symptoms now and then ,after a few days i get symptoms of vitaminshortage .I figured out that with a good low dosed multi these symptoms disappeared and it helps to stop the IBS /diarrhea .As long as i had these IBS  it works well.The moment everything went normal ,just a few days after it ,i get a sort of burning(arms) skin and a foggy brain.Somehow resorption is repared now (after diarrhea has stopped)and i directly get overdose symptomes.I red al lot on this site and i am convinced it's caused bij overdose.The last time muscletwitching(small fingermovements,like you're very nervous) and some visionblurring could be added,so thanks to your site i know it's the B6 .
I normally stop using the vitamines after these side-effects occur and restart when IBS return .So i don't use chronically.So i could use myself as a real testobject though.
This time i didn't stop using it but changed it for a different form of the same brand with zero B6 ,and other vitamins in comparable dose as the one i earlier used .
Within 24 hours twitching and skinburncomplaints halved ,and after 48 hours completely disappeared.
Mind you,that the multi i used only had 5 mg of B6 in it,even taking a half tablet (2,5 mg) dit reduce twitching.
I am from Europe and i am stunned by the huge doses people use in the US ,although these highdosed pills are sold here too,they are not so very promoted here.
Thanks for the great site.
Wanted to post an update to my struggle:
All the symptoms I described in my previous post (muscle twitches, numbness, aches) started shortly after I started taking vitamin supplements (among them B6 100mg).  When my B6 level was tested it came back over 400 nmol/L B6.  I stopped taking all vitamins right after the B6 test.  That was about 6 months ago.

Nowdays I still get a lot of muscle twitches (they vary day by day, mostly muscle will twitch just a few seconds, although couple of times I had muscle on my arm in one case and leg in another case twitch for a few hours).  Occasionally I get numbing feeling in my limbs.  I also have Myoclonic jerks before falling asleep (I do not remember them before B6 troubles started).

I went to the Mayo Clinic hoping they can put some diagnosis on my symptoms.  In Mayo the Neurologist did the usual neuro tests (muscle reflexes, walking etc) and sent me to do some blood work (including Lime disease which came negative) and EMG.
The diagnosis they came back with was Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS).  I do believe that my symptoms and symptoms of many people on this board match those of BFS.

Right now I'm on glutten free diet (I have Hashimoto's/thyroid issues) and in general try to eat mostly unprocessed foods.  Don't know what else I can do - the doctor had basically no suggestions...  I'm very hesitant to do any vitamins again.  Considering going for more organic foods (I've read some fertilizers (phosphates) can cause nerve damage as well, but not convinced on that since it is just another guess and it would have a significant burden on the wallet.  Probably will just continue the wait and see what happens game.
Yes, among the many people with BFS, a percentage would be B6 toxic.

Do you get muscle pains?
I took my last b6 about 8 days ago and I an mow very sick again.  Pain. Pain.
I don't really get muscle pain.  I get Muscle twitches, which currently have have quite a bit more often and more pronounced then 6 months ago when I stopped taking B6.  And arm/finger numbing at night.
Exercise definitely makes the symptoms worse. Maybe it will eventually help.
Does anyone here get bad flu like sysyoms? Past 3 days id felt so sick and fluish just exsaused just comes out nower any advise would be great.
Yes I always get flu like symptoms. It also comes out of nowhere. One minute I can be fine and the next minute literally so sick. Right now I am short of breath with joint pain. I also exercised this morning too.
Hi thanks for ur reply yes i get pains aswell my eyes are sore because important so tired ears are sore to not good just comes gos.
Yikes, my B6 hit 900 nmol/L.

Been taking 50mg (sometimes 100) for last 3 years.  Had various strange symptoms, and recently peripheral neuropathy.  Finally figured out the B6 - I guess it was building up in my system over these years.

Problem is, that was 3 months ago, and the people I spoke to were so cavaliar about me taking 50mg/d that I dropped it from 50mg to 10mg without tapering.  Quickly got lots of problems including dizziness and anxiety, extreme muscle wasting (my muscles just dissapeared), eye and liver problems, ie. symptoms of B6 defficiency.

But if I try to increase my dose a little (eg. from 10 up to 15mg) this strange anxiety becomes much worse.  I seem to have become super sensitive to it.

I need some way to give my body what it needs without increasing my B6 - perhaps a different form of B6?

Thought about trying P-5-P to address this, but I would need tiny doses, and as usual the industry only seems to provide huge doses.

Anyone know a form of P-5-P that I could take tiny doses, or have another suggestion?  Thank you!
So the short version of all this mess: I had numerous neurological symptoms, had all the tests to rule out everything and was found to have a B6 level of 189. It has been over 4 months since I've been off supplements, and symptoms change from week to week. I decided to go see a Naturapath Physician, who did numerous blood and urine tests which showed that my cellular  B6 was deficient.  The reason the B6 in my blood was so high was because it was unable to get into my cells due a  methylation problem in my body.  So I was wondering if all these people who have high B6 in their blood, actually are B6 deficient in their cells.  Both deficiency and toxicity can cause neuropathic symptoms. So now I'm on B6 supplements (P5P) to increase my cellular levels.
I was taking the 5p5 version of B6 so I don't think this is accurate. I would stay as far away from B6 as I could.
did any of you have emg changes due to the pyridoxine.
I did  not have an EMG but I had elevated CPK levels.

Phyllis
My emg results came back normal
LOLAroxy,

You mentioned being treated for lyme disease. did you have confirmed test diagnoses, or was it clinical? Im in the same boat, wondering if what I think is lyme is actually very high b6 (my level is 335!).

Did you have high b6 always, or only found out after being treated by naturalpath?>
I've been taking this ZMA supplement and it's been great for my health and wellness if anybody wants to check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Cellucor-ZMA-Capsules-120-Count/dp/B00ARJQQTS
hy everyone,i am new here,i am from Europe(Romania),sory for my poor english;i taked for 4 weeks B complex 100(of course  and B6 100 mg per day) because i felt fatigue,i recover my energy but after 4 weeks i feel numbness in my arm and legs...i stoped to take it until 2 days ago and still have numbness in my arms and legs;this is my symptoms....it will get worse even if i stopped take B comlex?it will be other symptoms even if i stoped to take B comlex?how can i lower B6 from my body?eat a lot of watermelon will help me?or drink a lot of water ?please give me advice because i am scared and thx to all
and a question....how long it will take to recover if i take 4 weeks B complex?

my father was farmer(working on tractor) and working with pesticides,fungicides and insecticides and my mother  give him charcoal for toxin usually....and i read from another site we can treat ovedose with B complex with charcoal;it is good?
Hi does anyone here find exercise help them? Or feel worse I stopped taking my b complex  2 years ago still have some systoms.
Hi,  I'm 9 mo post partum.  My B6 level was 163.  I've been off supplements for 10 wks.  2 wks after stopping I've felt more paresthesias.  Is it true that things get worse before they get better & HOW LONG?  I'm wondering if there is something else going on.  Does anyone know of any good doctors in the Los Angeles/Orange County Or California area who  know about B6 toxicity & or MTHFR.
Thank you in advance
did anyone suffer from acute symptoms in weeks on only a low dose and with a PROXIMAL instead of DISTAL

feature, where pain began not at toes or soles of feet but at the knee or buttocks, and that has been more than 6 months - 1 year, with no change?

only superdoses are supposed to cause dorsal root sensory neuron loss not 50mg a day, but 500mg or in grams a day, a distal far away neuropathy can recover easily in a couple years but a proximal dorsal column will never recover.

neuritis vs ganglionitis
Like the rest of you, I think I have had B6 toxicity.  

Over a decade ago, I started having tingling, paresthesias, nerve shocks, weird tiredness, brain fog, and post-exertional fatigue.  Blood tests and MRIs were mostly normal, except for a high B6 level.  Over the years I've researched the heck out of B6 toxicity, and haven't really found anything useful.  Everyone just says to stop the B6 and wait for the body to clear it from the tissues, which can take years.

However-- I have stumbled on two things that have helped me.   Maybe these will work for others, too?  Worth a try.

When I take large doses of allithiamine, an oil-based version of vitamin B1 (thiamine), it fixes my fatigue and brain fog very quickly.  I'm back to normal in about 20 minutes.   It does not eradicate my tingling, but the tingling recedes to the background, and I think it's gradually improving over time. The brand I take is Ecological Formulas Allithiamine 50mg; a bottle of 250 costs about $35 on Amazon.    In the beginning, I took two or three capsules several times a day (6 to 9 per day).  Now I only need one or two each morning to keep my energy up.  I've had my thiamine levels tested, and I don't have a thiamine deficiency; yet, I feel better when I take allithiamine.  Perhaps it counteracts the B6 in some way.

The second thing that helps is taking 1/4 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon.  I mix it into something before swallowing, as it is very dusty.  Ceylon cinnamon is sold at Amazon and Whole Foods; I use the Frontier brand.  Do not use non-Ceylon cinnamon as other types have too much natural coumadin (coumarin) in them.   Ceylon cinnamon is reputed to lower blood ammonia levels.. I don't know why it works, but it works.  I take it when I am feeling very fatigued and it works quickly; a couple of times a day in the beginning, now once or twice a week.  

I also take a long list of other vitamins and minerals, which I can talk more about if anyone is interested.  These other supplements are from other things I've found and fixed along the way.  These other things may or may not be related to B6 toxicity (such as C677T +/+, low vit B12, high unbound copper).  

***** If anyone else tries taking allithiamine or Ceylon cinnamon, please report back with your results, whether positive or negative.  We need to share our experiences and find a cure for this problem!  *****
How there is a FB group called B6 Toxicity. You can join.
thanks!
Hi, there. In short. A week ago I had a twitching eyelid and went to the doctor on friday. He gave me, without performing a bloodtest, a high dose of Befact forte (Europe). Instead of one pill a day (recommended) I had to take two of them. The first day I felt a little twitching in my cheek and lip. On day two and three I felt twitching in my arms and calves. On day four and five I felt twitching, cramping and jidderness all over my body. It is driving me insane. So I took my last dose yesterday and I drank a lot of water today in the hope that it will flush out of my system. Ironically, my eye is much better. I only had twitches when moving or touching that muscle (yawning, sneezing, laughing). So, in my opinion: I didn't need that high dose of B-complex (B1, B3, B6, B9, B12). The eyetwitch was just an oversensitive muscle. Of course I am hypochondriac and I begin to worry that I have some neurological disease. I have bloodtests every three months because of other healthissues. I hope it will subside. But the most poignant question I have right now is: is it possible to have a reaction of the vitamin complex after just a few days? I am glad I quit though. Thanks for your input!
Viewing 1001-1080 comments: