B6 Toxicity
This is more of a comment than a question, but I would welcome info from anyone who has any experience with this situation. I took a prescription called Folcaps (which had 25 mgs of pyridoxine in it) for a year. In February of 06 I began experiencing symptoms which have now been diagnosed as Pyridoxine (b6) Toxicity Induced Neuropathy. I did not get this diagnosis until August 15, after four MRIs, several specialists and balance testing. My b6 blood level was 81 - the maximum safe level in this test was 32. When reading about b6 toxicity one reads about tingling hands and feet and being "wobbly on your feet" and things of that nature. It can be much more than that. Be careful with Vitamin b6. It's not known if the neurological damage is reversible. Some studies show it is, some show it is not. The damage I have suffered extends to my thyroid, my blood pressure has been lowered (to an unsafe level - it was healthy before), my balance has been damaged - I don't know where my right foot is in space, I've had insomnia, my symptoms are too lengthy to list here. The fatigue that I have been experiencing for the past several months has started to lift now that I've stopped taking the medication, but it is still profound...another hallmark symptom of b6 poisoning. This is a serious toxic situation and one that is not understood by the medical community. I am waiting to find out how much of my life I will get back. I am rebuilding my stamina & neuropathways with an optimistic outlook. And getting the word out. MD's don't know about vitamins. Work with nutritionists. Don't go it solo
I am very serious that I think we should write a book in a few years, when we, the guinea pigs, know more about this awful B6 toxicity! Even the little bit that we know would be more than the absolutely zero books out there about this!
And then we market the book to all the doctors via toxicity syndrome conferences for Neurologists.

M
Great ideas!

Vardic: I order my methyl B12 from Jarrow's Formulas. You can google it on the internet and you will find it there. Hope you are having better days :-)
I'm trying to tell my situation doctors and profesors who work for university hospital neurology department. They are still claim B6 vitamin doesn't casue this situation. Wednesday, a doctor will see me and after her a professor will see me. I don't hope will help me. Nothing will change, i know...

I saw Jarrow's formula on the internet, but there is no selling in Turkey. It is very expensive at ebay.com.

Thank you for your attention Susan. I'm living your motivation. Thank you...

Volkan
Hello, fellow B6-sufferers,

Yesterday, within 5 minutes, the skin on the upside of my left thumb went numb.
Is anyone familiar with sudden numbness on the road to healing?
Please respond, because it scares me!!

greetings from Holland,

Heimen
I hope everyone is feeling better. I have just got a LEAP diet plan today. It is too restrictive for me and i can count the food items on my fingers which i can eat for first week. But I am going to try it for sure. Hopefully, it would work.

Do anyone feel burning skin sensations? I used to feel like some body have injected a very cold fluid into my viens mostly in arms couple of weeks ago and now i feel like i got burns on various places all over my skin. they justs come and go.

How do doctors rule out Multiple Sclerosis? do they do any blood test, MRI or CT scan? or just by looking at symptoms? My rheumatologist haven't told me about MS and whether he has ruled it out or not. Please help.

Regards,

Ghaznawi
Heimen,
I would have sudden changes on my body too.
In the later of healing, I would have prickling (like foot asleep) here and there, fingers included.
Came and went!
In a way that is good, because that happened later in my healing.

Ghaznawi,
There is loads of stuff on MS on the internet.
My doctor did a brain MRI too make sure their were no lesions or other issues, and then said I do not have MS.

Someone wrote of IBS.  I am struggling with issues now.  But that could be stress, or b6 and stress.  Anyway, as Î told Heimen, I had used IBEROGAST in the past.  Worked beautifully.  Homeopathic German product.  Check with someone you trust about it.  Info definitely on-line, and can be purchased on-line.

Megan,
I think I told you but incontinence (this was you???) IN MY MIND could definitely be a b6 issue!  This is PNS symptom.  Mine flucuates between annoying and slightly annoyable.  But sneezing or hard cough, forget it!
Vardic do not know how i found this, accident.
Researchers in turkey that wrote about b6 toxicity in RATS.
Specifically to the area I think that you think has been damaged.
Maybe they can direct you to someone.
When you call/email, be prepared to explain simply and clearly.
So they do not ignore you.
Doctors like things presented in order...clarity essential, most essential facts only.
After all they do METHODICAL research.
GOOD LUCK!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16201314

Effects of excess vitamin B6 intake on cerebral cortex neurons in rat: an ultrastructural study.
Demir R, Acar G, Tanriover G, Seval Y, Kayisli UA, Agar A.
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey. ***@****
The aim of this study was to investigate whether excess of vitamin B6 leads to ultrastructural changes in cerebral cortex of forty-eight healthy albino rats which were included in the study. Saline solution was injected to to the control groups (CG-10, n = 12 for 10 days; CG-15, n = 12 for 15 days; CG-20, n=12 for 20 days). The three experimental groups (EG-10, n = 12; EG-15, n = 12; EG-20, n = 12) were treated with 5 mg/kg vitamin B6 daily for 10 days (EG-10), 15 days (EG-15) and 20 days (EG-20). Brain tissues were prepared by glutaraldehyde-osmium tetroxide double fixation for ultrastructural analysis. No significant changes were observed in the control groups. The ultrastructural analysis revealed that the numbers of damaged mitochondria, lipofuscin granules and vacuoles were significantly higher in all the experimental groups than in the control groups (p < 0.05). However, synaptic density was significantly decreased in the experimental groups as compared to the control groups (p < 0.05). The results suggest that the excess of vitamin B6 intake causes damage to the cerebral cortex due to cellular intoxication and decreased synaptic density. Thus, careful attention should be paid to the time and dose of vitamin B6 recommended for patients who are supplemented with this vitamin.
Thank you Tzennifer, I found Demir R's telephone number, i'll call him. Beside these, when i find new research, i begin to afraid of this situation. Something was happen, it was soo important. My family still didn't understand me. What i 'll do, i don't know.

Thank you again for your help Tzennifer.
Volkan
Good advise from Tzen.
Call them!!!

all the good wishes for you!!

gr

Heimen.
Heimen,

A few weeks ago, the palms on both of my hands went numb and felt almost as they were vibrating. Very weird!  It last a a day or so, I think, not too long and eventually went away.
I thought it was very strange, and I thought, "Oh great, another new symptom to contend with." Enough already.
So maybe,  it is another unusual sign that healing is taking place.

IF THERE IS A DOCTOR OUT THERE WHO READS THIS FORUM, AND WHO KNOWS A GOOD DEAL MORE ABOUT THIS CONDITION, PLEASE HELP US, WE NEED SOME EXPERTS WHO CAN HELP US BETTER UNDERSTAND WHAT IS HAPPENING TO US.
Thank you.
In utrecht, one of the profs told me that it is quit normal for symtomps to became bad before better days come.

Heimen
I called Proffessor( Demir R). He said me "This experiment made for rats not human. It is possible some effects but I  can't help you, go a university hospital."
This conversation didn't help me. I feel dissappoinment one more time...

Thank you for your research Tzennifer.

Volkan
Ghaz - Hang in there with the LEAP diet.  I felt immensely better within about 4 days.  The first week was AWFUL!!  I got so tired of beef and pinto beans!!  I'm at day 78 today.  This weekend I made wheat-free pumpkin pancakes with pecans.  I also made coconut flour brownies.  Both were fabulous and legal for me.  Ask your dietician for recipes and how to survive the first couple of weeks.  You can do it and you'll be so glad!!  If you need help, let me know!!

MS - Brain MRI determines if there are lesions, but not everyone with MS has brain lesions.  Spinal tap can also show if it's present (I didn't do that one, fortunately).  I believe there's some extensive and expensive blood tests that can be done as well.  Both MS and fibromyalgia seem to be two disorders that docs throw you into when they don't know what is wrong with you.

Tzen - IBS is typically the foods that you're eating.  This and fibromyalgia are the main disorders that the LEAP program address and correct.  www.nowleap.com

Fruitcake

Hope all are doing fine.
I have just got my B6 result. It is 11.1 ng/mL now (which is normal). Two months ago it was at 187, one month ago it was at 24.

I have started feeling shooting pains in arms, legs and sometimes in fingers. I don't know if it is expected.
I am trying LEAP diet and into my 5 day now. the first two days were OK but since day before yesterday, i am feeling more pain now. Dietician said it can happen in first 10 days before it gets better.
Fruitcake, was that the case for you too? did you feel worse before you feel better when you started LEAP?

Regards,

Ghaznawi
Great report on your B6 levels!!

I felt better the first week, but my main complaint was headaches, migraines, and sinus issues.  I'm almost three months on the diet - I would say my tingling is about 50% improved.  I no longer have numbness and shooting pains in my fingertips.  The tingling has come back down my arms and I'm only affected from about the elbow down (it was up to my shoulders and chest).  Symptoms seem only about 10-20% improved in my legs.  My sense of touch is greatly improved (I didn't realize that had been compromised until it came back).

I don't know that the diet specifically addresses the B6 symptoms.  Our immune system and central nervous system are so complex, I don't think the docs really know how it all works.  I figure I need to get myself as close to "normal" as possible, and the diet does that.  Lots of bad stuff out there that we dump into our bodies.  If you can afford to, go organic.

What are your main reactors?  Mine are corn, wheat, soy, dairy, pineapple, maple, and hazelnuts.
Tzennifer, thanks! I have been seeing a Dr about the urge incontinence and he wants to perform surgery. I'm not scared of surgery, but I'm scared of having it and STILL having the constant feeling of needing to urinate, even after surgery. I mentioned B6 toxicity to him and he said he didn't know much about it, to know whether or not it was the cause of my bladder pain

I just found this on the web:
http://www.wmfurology.com/urge.htm

I have "orthostatic instability," according to that link. And that web page says that it is a neurological issue!!!
Surgery?
What about this:
http://www.acnr.co.uk/pdfs/volume5issue1/v5i1rehab.pdf

Anyone ever deal with this issue of urinary issues from b6 TOXICITY?
Welcome, even encourage answers please!
Jen
I did suffer from urinary retention at the onset my B6 toxicity symptoms. I did have frequent urinary tract infections BEFORE I started having symptoms but fortunately, have not had a single problem with the kidneys or bladder since. I don't know it there is a correlation there or not, but they thought I had MS. I was tested and it came back negative.
Who knows for sure? There is not enough known about this conditon, so it could be....
And if it's a neurological condition, then it might be related to B6 since we know B6 affects the nervous system.
My main reactors are: Banana, Cantaloupe, Dairy, Cabbage, Sweet Potatoes, Mustard, cola nut, corn.

There are many other things which have shown high reaction levels; such as, honey, coca, coconut, garlic, orange, plum, eggplant, onions, buckwheat, eggs, yeast and lentil etc.

However, I can only have very limited food items as part of my initial diet plan. I can't even pain medicines as most of them contains either corn starch or other chemicals my immune system is reactive to (e.g. FD&C yellow 6). it *****!

Though, I hope it will bring my pain down so that I can resume my work.

thanks for you help. Wish you all a speedy recovery.
Ghaznawi
I was very fortunate.  I am not reactive to all of the chemicals and can have an ibuprofen or acetaminophin from time to time.  Corn is a big deal - it's in EVERYTHING.  You are fortunate that you can have wheat, but the no yeast makes it harder.  I'd kill right now for a soft flour tortilla!!

I hope it gets easier for you.
EVERYBODY PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE!
There is an idea always in my mind. When I used B6 vitamine high dosage, nothing changed. Loss of perception only occured when I used anti-thyroid drug. There is a certain knowledge, hypothyroidism causing nerve entrapment and this is the reason of neuropathy (with painful). My claim is that B6 vitamine only can damage nerves existing Hypothyroidism.
I WANT FROM YOU ONLY ONE BLOOD TEST, CONTROL YOUR THYROID HORMONES. I'M SURE THERE IS A RELEATIONSHIP BETWEEN B6 AND HYPOTHYROIDISM. I SUPPOSE MEGANAMY WAS SAID SHE HAS HYPOTHYROIDISM. PLEASE, I KNOW YOU DID LOTS OF UNNECESSARY TEST, BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I'm the second person who has B6 toxicity and hypothyroidism(due to drug) illness at the same time. Please write your opinion here.

Volkan

Vardic an article I posted here back April 13, 2010.
Mentions hypo thyroid and what happens when there is b6 toxicity.
I am hypothyroid.  Diagnosed though way back in 1999!
I did have a bit of a control issue because of this b6.
Way over due for blood test, check up.
But I think it is okay now.
http://www.acu-cell.com/bx.html
You need a doctor to sort this out.
Any success yet?
By the way.
I read a few times, many hypo thyroid patients have difficulty metab. many b6 vitamins.
Vardic there are other people who actually say they think b6 toxicity is what caused their thyroid damage, thus becoming hypo.  If you think this info or insight would help you, you must scroll all the back to 2006!
Jennifer
I just found this forum and am very grateful.  I went to my Dr because I have MS like symptoms, she recommended a Neurologist (I have a first appt next week) and ran some blood tests and it is determined I have B6 Toxicity.  I don't know the number assigned yet but was told double the normal amount.  Thing is I have been taking a multivitamin with only 25mg of B6.. however I am wondering about the cause.  I gather it might be a liver problem right?  I quit drinking alcohol about 4 months ago (was a rather heavy drinker before) and have been on and off antidepressants for years (now off).  My symptoms of got worse since I quit drinking... wondering if the alcohol had sort of sopped up the excess B6 in the past  Any ideas about that? This all very new.  
I would suspect that we all have different causes.  Medications, alcohol, other vitamins and hormones and stresses probably effect us all and can cause us all to have problems with B vitamin metabolism.

I have seen people here discuss thyroid troubles, menopause, medications and super mega vitamins.

I was on only 37mg as well and have been having horrible symptoms.  

I think you are fortunate your doctor hit a home run and found the high levels early.  Most of us have been at this for years and have been to numerous doctors and have had 100's of blood tests.  I have had over 100 vials of blood taken in the last 18 months and not until I figured it out did my doctor test for this.  So we are glad you found out and hopefully you will heal quickly.

M

Yes, I am lucky my doctor found the cause of my symptoms.  She is an internist and told me that too much B6 causes the pins and needles I have been experiencing.  Thankfully there are Drs out there that know about this. Other symptoms are brain fog, numbness, occasional lack of coordination, dizziness.  There is a lot of information on this forum.  I'm worried that permanent damage has been done to my system as a result of this toxicity.  We'll see.  I've had pins and needles off and on for many years but attributed it to antidepressant use.  (So did the Drs).  Now that I have been off of them for a long time I had my blood checked and see that it is elevated B6.  

Question to you all, does anyone know if B6 toxicity can cause MS? Myelin sheaths are eaten away by it right and isn't that MS?  I'll see what my neurologist says.

Best wishes to you and to everyone that is experiencing this problem.  

Your multivitamin might not have been the only source of your B6 intake. B6 seems to be hidden in many things. So you might have been ingesting more than you think. Alcohol, itself, is supposed to inhibit your body from absorbing B6, so in that case, it shouldn't have harmed you, as far as B6 goes. However, beer, for example, does contain a lot of B6. However, many antidepressants seem to have tons of B6 in them!

To my knowledge, MS and B6 toxicity have similar symptoms. I'm not sure if the damage to the nerves is identical, though. MS is caused by lesions in the brain and/or spinal cord. None of us here, to my understanding, nor any of our doctors have any idea of exactly what damage is causing our pain. We don't know if the B6 is stored in fat cells (as I've read, according to the Mayo clinic) or if the B6 causes damage and then leaves because it is water soluble (allegedly), or what happens that is causing all this pain.
I am just wondering why the symptoms in B6 Toxicity has flare ups?

Recently, I started having jerking / tremors slightly in many parts of the body, specially legs. Moreover, I got some itchu blisters in between figures of right feet which are not due to shoes. I have them earlier as well when I started having symptoms. I don't know if this is related to B6 or not. Can anyone please help me understand that?

How can we make sure that  our doctors have ruled out everything else before blaming B6? I mean, like MS and Fibromyalgia etc are hard to diagnose and have many overlapping symtoms with B6 toxicity but they can't be diagnosed easily in early stages.

my main symptons are joint pain and popping, muscle twitching, pain and weakness; and recently these tremors and blisters. Are these typical symptoms of B6 toxicity?

Please help. It is frustrating.
Regards,
Ghaznawi

Hi! That is a good question. I too, have symptoms that I wonder are related to B6 or just another medical condition. Your joint popping, cracking and snapping could be the ligaments your hearing. You stated that you have pain with this,  is that correct? I don't have pain with mine. That is different. Could it be arthritis?

If I were you, I would go ahead and get tested for MS and fibromyalgia and other possible explanations. I don't know why we have these flare ups either. If anyone on the forum can explain this, please reply.

What are you taking to help with the healing process? How long were you having symptoms before you got a diagnosis. My initial symptoms were just confined to my mouth and head for about 2 years until it moved to my hands and feet. Then eventually up my arms, legs, then to my upper back and then the popping, cracking and snapping of joints began. Now, into my 5th yr, I have the sensation of burning through my veins, and sensation of someone pinching me all over. Is that weird or what!

I hope this helps you. Hang in there!
My joint popping is painless. Though I have constant joing Pain in elbows and intermittent pain in other joints.

I have had B-Complex supplement only for 1 and 1/2 month. And I was having joint pain before I started taking B-Complex. All of a sudden, my joint pain went severe and I started having joint popping and muscle twitching all over my body. then around end of august, I was told that I have Vit B6 toxicity (187 ng/mL). So, i stopped taking B complex. After one month, it was 24, after two months, it was at 11.1 (normal).
Tingling, numbness (occasional) and burning veins started after i stopped taking B-Complex.

My Dr. checked for Lupus, Lymse, arthritis, chrones, celiac, myositis etc and all reports came back negative. I have seen neurologists as well. They says, there is no sign of neurological damage. I don't know if that includes MS or not. But they did MRI of my arms and legs (these are the most effected areas) and found no sign of inflamation.
For healing, i am taking B12 (SL) and on a LEAP diet. My symptoms are kind of changing on monthly bases with weekly flareups. I started with Shinbone pain, then comes joint pain, joint popping, muscle twitching, fever for three days, IBS;  then after stopping B complex comes tingling, severe muscle weakness and pain which literally made me disabled. :(  Now, it is kind of flare ups pattern and when it happens, i feel pain in my spine as well (few upper discs).
Neurologist and Rehumatologist suspect Fibromyalgia that means nothing but connecting tissues and muscle pain. However, I am going to see a Fibro specialist next month and going to consult with naturopath tomorrow as well.

If anyone can help me understant this. Does it look like B6 toxicity problem ? or there could be something else?

Thanks and wihing a speedy recovery to all.
Ghaznawi
I just found out that the butter I use (Smart Balance) has B6-35% in fact. Should I be worried? That is alot!!! Could that be the reason I am still having so many problems?
What kind of butter should I buy instead?
Please help........don't know what to do!

Thanks guys :-)
what do you use butter on?
the best thing is to cut down.
try olive oil.
for breads and cooking.
jen
Most Veggies have some B6 in them too.  Meats are all about 50% DV per serving of 4 oz. (chicken, turkey, beef)  dark meat is better than chicken breast (lower B6).

So its almost unavoidable in food as you know.  It wouldn't hurt to avoid supplemental foods like Jen said, olive oil has healthy poly and mono fats and no B6.    Make sure its extra virgin and keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go rancid.  Keep your fish oil in the fridge too.

Cook with olive oil on low heat only so it doesn't break down the healthy fats into other non healthy components.

M
Hi!
I use butter on my sweet potatoes and to cook my tilapia in. To season green beans, rice and in casseroles that call for butter. I didn't realize until today how much b6 there is in Smart Balance......I thought I made a smart choice. Guess not.
I just went to the store and bought butter spread with olive oil. Saw no listing for B6.

Hope you are all doing well.
Haven't heard much from you Jen. How are you doing since you are 1 year free of B6,
I hope you have good news for us. :-)

Take care everyone. And let us know how you are doing?
I use butter on my sweet potatoes and to cook my tilapia in. To season green beans, rice and in casseroles that call for butter....

I see.  Try tilapia with olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper, lemon and a dash of the herb you like the best.  I am used to oregano.  You can also chop of tomatoes, onion and saute. Throw in some basil at the end.  Then put over tilapia, bake in oven with a little parm on top, not a lot.  When it comes to seasoning your greens like green beans, broch, actually any veggie i think, olive oil (not heated) with lemon!  You can add salt and pepper, but you have to watch the salt too!  Awesome.  When it comes to casseroles, it depends...but always use less then the ask.  Rice try yogurt, lower fat, plain, in US they have greek lowfat yogurt.  Excellent, tastes like sour cream.  Can cook rice in low salt broth, with veggies stewed in it!  Lots of options....

Year after, better, definitely,  most definitely, the last relapse pasted, now entering another.  It definitely is related to my monthly cycle.  However I did notice, I really do not do well after extensive periods in the cold.  Am in a cold climate, already snowing, and was below zero yesterday.  My nerves got upset, all over the body.  It did not last long, but I did not like it.

But I am better.  I know, where all looking for that light in the dark tunnel!
Smiles, Jen
Vitamin B's and D are water soluble vitamins, and though toxicity is rare it can occur, but usually the symptoms go away quickly because the body excretes any excess.  Taken in safe doseages, such as 100-200 mgs daily is a safe recommended dosage for b6.  though all the vitamins work hand in hand to support the body.  I know, I've learned through trial and error, and was tired of being diagnosed with "anxiety".  I had to research and find my own cure for my symptoms of breathlessness, mental fog, chronic fatigue, numbness/tingling/ burning in hands/feet, as well as muscle aches and pains.  I was diagnosed in 06 with carpel tunnel, nerve damage in back, and fibro.  It wasn't until June2010 that these problems became debilitating and I aquired some new problems as well, such as balance problems, sores in corners of mouth, sore tongue, etc.  Yes a long lists,  but after much research and persitance, my doc aggreed to give me b12 injections.  My symptoms subsided after 3rd consecutive injection. And now other than fatigue, my other symptoms are gone.    Wish you much luck and continued recovery.  xo,mel
Um, I beg to differ. 200 mg daily is NOT a safe dosage for many folks, and there have been reputable reports of nerve damage at that dose. It's also not a recommended dose. The RDA is something like 2mg, so 200 mg is an enormous dose. The widespread belief that water soluble means excess just gets washed out is incorrect. And the statement that symptoms go away quickly is also wrong. This is based on personal experience. I took 50 mg per day for a year, and had major symptoms. It took me really almost 5 years for 95% of the symptoms to go away, and 8 years later I still have a few of them. This is not to be taken lightly.

That said, there is clearly huge variability in how much B6 different people can handle without becoming toxic. Perhaps you can take 200mg with impunity, but many folks can't. IMHO, doses over 25 mg should not be legal to sell.

By the way, I just the other day read a report saying that vitamin D is also bad in high doses, so it seems to me that all vitamins should be taken with care.
Warning: b6 can be toxic!!!!! Even in lower dose than RDA!!!!!!
Symptoms don't dissapaer quickly, it lasts very long, for over a year, maybe more, to get rid of them.
This is what they told me in University Hospital.
I am doing mentalyl well, but my symptoms are not better. In my 10 month now. Hoping for better days,

Heimen

I couldn't agree more!!  I was only taking 2mg from a children' s chewable vitamin, which I have taken since I was 6 years old. I never had a problem until 2006 when symptoms of neuropathy began. So I was well under the safe limit. I think the common theory is you can only get toxicity if you take B6 in high doses and that is a big misconception.

B12, I believe is important for healing the nerves and I take a sublingual form everyday.
I think it is helping but it is a slow process and for me it is hard to tell if I am making any  progress. Ninamagic, yes, you are correct, we need to be very cautious about taking any vitamin, because they are all chemicals and can potentially be very dangerous.

Hang in there everyone!
After all the pain and suffering that I endured...
Thinking early own, perhaps I was dying...
And feeling better now, but still having uncomfortable symptoms on and off again...
In my second year...
I say with confidence...

B6 is dangerous!

200 mg daily...I would not recommend it for anyone.
The RDA recommendation is MUCH, MUCH lower for a reason.
Eat a balance diet, don't eat typical American food...you will get more b6 if needed.
The widespread belief that "water soluble means excess just gets washed out" is perpetuating this dangerous problem!
And I have even heard large doses of b12 long term can create problems -- potentially addictive.
That is another internet search!
Vitamins are strong and potentially dangerous.
To: All

First I'd like to say that if we were all well, there'd be no need for medications/doctors, except for injuries of course.   But, that will never happen there will always be sickness disease, doctors, and the poison that the FDA is feeding us, not to mention the legal "lethal drugs" that the FDA is approving the pharmaceutical companies to manufacture and sell.   Well guess who benefits from this the most... the government of course.  And who is the government, FDA, FTA, RDA, oh yea, I don't want to leave out our precious PA's, and MD's because they benefit too.     We've been brainwashed since birth, eat healthy, drink plenty of milk, eat vegetables, fruit, etc.   Ever wonder how can we possibly eat healthy with all the additives they put in our foods during processing, not to mention the chemicals that's used on them in the growing process.  And the chemicals that they are feeding the animals we get our meat source from.  Then add in the packaging process, the recycled products they are packaged in, aluminum cans and plastics.   The vegetables and fruits we get from the market have lost over half their nutrition value before they're accessable to us.  Now, tell me how are we supposed to eat healthy, other than organics, and who really knows if it's organic or not, are we supposed to believe it just because the FDA says it is?  or because it reads so on the label, lol~ too funny.   The FDA rules this world, the heirarchy in the Government chain.   The pharmaceutical companies manufacture the poison, FDA approves it.  Then they send their drug pimps, oops, I mean drug reps out to visit our lovely doctors where they leave bundles of "Free Samples".   And we, the poor, sick people visit our doctors, and they say hey, "try this" and I want to see you back in a few weeks.  Oh boy, we don't have to pay for a prescription. So we take it home and it really helps, with let's say arthritis.   So we run back and say hey doc that medicine really helps can I get some more.  He may give u a few more for a few times, during the marketing process.   Then one day you go and he writes the dreaded prescription, more out of our pockets and more for our insurance, for those who have it.  Yea, it works on the same principle that an illegal drug pusher uses on the street.   He has some good stuff, but he'll give his potentials a good sample or two for free, but then when they're hooked, no more freebies, time to pay up for that coke, crack, or whatever they're into.

The FDA racks up from the total sales of the pharmaceutical companies. Also during the marketing process the pharmaceutical companies run those ads you see on TV, the ones that have possible side effect list, longer than the benefits. FDA also pockets, beginning this past January over $1,400.00 per commercial, not per day, but per each time that commercial airs!  Don't believe me, research it!    Then our wonderful doctors, and there are a few really good ones in the world, but very "few".  Oh yea, they're part of this cycle too.  They get a percentage of the overall sales too, after all they're the real dealer, on the frontline working for the FDA.  

So, Nina, you really expect me to believe RDA numbers that's regualted by the FDA, lol~ and I guess you really believe that Cardiovascular, Heart, Diabetes and Arthritis are all hereditary diseases.   No they're not, they are lifestyle diseases.   Sure there are some who are born with birth defects due to genetics.  But guess what, that comes from vitamin malnourishment also, that is, the chromosomal and genetic disorders. Can I prove that? no, but I believe it to be true with 100% certainty.
Do you know how much research is done that is never published?  None of us know, but the government regulates that too.   So what scientists or university is going to risk losing their right to practice or face federal fines and possible incarceration...very few. But there have been some.   In 1973 there was a physician in Germany "CURING" CANCER with intravenous infusions of Vitamin C.  But that was shortlived, and so was he.  Why, because the FDA didn't approve of it.  Why, because they wouldn't benefit from it, and of course we may live too long.  
No, the government doesn't want us to take vitamins to prevent illnesses.  I wouldn't doubt if there aren't some kind of hidden additives in them, if not, there will be if enough people get "too healthy" and start living longer.     Next time you read a newspaper, browse the obituaries and see how many physicians are listed in that section..If there are any there, they've more than likely lived way into there "Very Golden Years".  Wonder why~)   they know things that they can't or won't tell us.

So yes, they want us all to believe that we can overdose on vitamins.  And if you were taking supplemental B6, I'm sure your levels were high, they're supposed to be.   That's the same thing with B12.  After I began my injections, in Sept. , doctor checked my levels again in Oct. , 1200 was my level then,  and it has a range of 211-970, not exact, but something like that.  He told me my levels were better now, so maybe I should discontinue.  I told him I'd gladly find me another doctor, but I will never be without vitamin supplements again.  He agrees to allow me to continue to give myself my monthly injections and I take the sublingual drops in between injections, as well as B1 and B6.  I take 100 mg of b6 daily, and 100 mg of B1 daily, along with folic acid and vitamin C.   I do believe I would be dead had it not been for my research and insistance.

I felt like I was dying a little each day, mental fog, fatigue, shortness of breath.  Carpel tunnel since 06, and 2 nerve conduction studies confirmed it worse in right arm/hand than in left, and was referred to a surgeon.  So glad I put that surgery off, because it's now completely GONE.  Why, I wonder did one of those doctors not suggest taking vitamins to try and help that before recommending surgery.  Oh, yea, I also had the numbness and tingling in my feet and balance problems as well.  That also is gone.  I still have some fatigue, but I believe that's because my Vitamin D was low, as well as my C.

And yes, 100-200 mg of B6 is safe if used for theraputic reasons.
  •Vitamin B-6 (ie, pyridoxine) is found in poultry, fish, pork, grains, and legumes.
◦◦Over time, 300-500 mg/d may be neurotoxic (patients with impaired renal function may be more susceptible). Acute toxic dose generally is not established.
◦Vitamin B-6 functions in protein and amino acid metabolism. Pyridoxine is the treatment of choice for isoniazid overdose. Also, it is used by bodybuilders, as well as, for the treatment of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), carpal tunnel syndrome, schizophrenia, childhood autism, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with variable results .

The above para~is copied from WebMD site~note that it says "Over time", 300-500 mg/daily may be neurotoxic.

If all of you are suffering symptoms, "based on your lab test", and your physicians warning of toxicity, apparantly you were taking way more than you should have been.  Or your body is not "malabsorbent", and therefore doesn't need supplemental doses. How do you know that you were deficient in B12 all along, causing those symptoms? Or, did your doctors numbers add up and he told you that that was well too?
      "There is no documented case, in history of a death from Vitamin Toxicity!~there are some suspected cases, but not proven, and those are only about 10!~ and I got that info from a National Georaphic Program, not on the  internet.
People you can read anything here~ but who and what do you believe.  Well, I for one don't believe anything that comes from The FDA and it's associates!  They're the ones approving the very stuff that's killing us.  
.
I think we all know we each react differently.

So we all agree that the FDA doesn't represent the people but the D companies.

But I was on 37.5mg and it feels like it almost killed me.  Years of docs and neuro-less-gists who don't even get the gist when a patient comes in with 30 neuro symptoms.

I talked to one of the most re-known neuro guys in my city, 35 years experience and we sat on several visits as I got worse and worse trying to suggest, can you test for this or that or the other, heavy metals, lime, viruses, fungi, bacteria, MS, vitamins, etc...never once did he say B6.  I feel like putting an advert. in the paper saying if you have neuropathy, do yourself a favor and stop b6 and don't go to this guy.

So taking small amounts is the safest way to go as the others have said.

The doses vary here from 2mg up but most were way below 200mg.

M
If you look on the labels of most of the multi's available, the doses of b6 in them is high.
High to me.
However, if you have friends or family, who need a multi, but are concerned about this b6 issue, I think Dr. Mercola's multi was within safer range then the others.
I'm very happy that your symptoms have subsided and that you're doing well.

I was on 100mg of B6 for about one year and I went toxic.  I've had fairly severe neurological issues for the past two years.  I no longer take pharmaceutical B6.  The only B6 I get now is through the whole foods I eat.  My doc wants me to start supplementing B6 again because my levels are now low.  If I choose to do this, it will only be through food-based supplements.  I have to admit, though, it makes me VERY nervous.

B6 is necessary for your body to function, just as all the other vitamins, minerals, and trace elements.  But please don't bash the good people on this website who know they have serious medical issues, have traced it to B6, and who have already been ridiculed by the medical community.  This forum is to support others with B6 toxicity symptoms and disabilities.  We welcome your advice regarding that.
this is really interesting. I originally started taking a b vitamin complex for different reasons. I was taking on and off anywhere from 100mg to 200 mg a day of b6 (which was in it). More recently i have been experiencing alot of the symptoms you all mention.

If i put any pressure on a join i almost instantaneously get the pins and needles. Sleeping at night is a little more difficult cause i'm getting the pain and itching and such. When i wake up i have headaches, im thinking this could be to improper blood flow. I have numbness in my toes, it was in my fingers but that has gone away. My body feels kind of numb at times. from my understanding is that any nerve damage to the autonomic nerve system can lead inadequate blood flow to areas of the body. thats why im assuming i have very cold hands and feet as a symptom as well.

Also i dont know if anyone has gotten this as well, periodically i have pain in my upper back, sort of like a dullness near the spine, i know nerves run up and down the spine so i'm assuming its that. I have been off the complex for about a week now and i'm hoping things get better. I had done this months back as well, but then more recently had gotten back on it about 5 weeks ago. then i found it can cause neuropathy so i stopped it.

My question is, would it be ok to still take the b vitamin at low doses. I also take zma supplements, it has zinc 30 mg, magnesium and 10 mg b6. Or should i wait a couple weeks, see if things get better and then return to the lower dose.

Like some of you i believed that excess b6 would wasted out of our bodies, but apparently that doesn't seem like the case at all.

Article on B-Complex Vitamins. http://www.acu-cell.com/bx.html.
If you are taking 100+ mg B6 daily, and have the symptoms others have mentioned, why on earth would you still be taking it? If you don't stop now, the symptoms will only get worse and take even longer to repair - if they will at all. If I'd read this site when I was going through it, I'd have stopped a lot earlier, and saved myself a lot of trauma.

And to the person who let loose a diatribe on the state of medicine today, and thinks that 200mg per day of B6 is just fine - you are clearly going to do and believe whatever you want, regardless of evidence, and that's certainly your right. But the other folks on this list have had the opposite experience  (problems with too much B6) - all of them - or they wouldn't be here. Encouraging them to continue/increase B6 is unimaginable.
Sorry, I reread your post, and I was a little too harsh. If you have symptoms, I'd definitely stop B6 completely. I'm 8 years post quitting B5 entirely. If I took 2 mg of B6 during recovery, my symptoms would all come back for a few days. That's after one dose. I can't imagine if I tool 10mg. So my advice, FWIW, is to stop it entirely (no B6 in vitamins, or cereals, or vitamin drinks, or energy bars). When all symptoms are gone, and have been for a month or two, then you can try a regular multivitamin, and see how it goes. Again, just my opinion. ;-)
I have stopped taking the b6. I was just wondering however does anyone have this symptom. I have like a dull pain in my upper back at times, it feels like something in my spine. i know theres nerves around there, so i'm assuming it could be something to do with that. Like if i get nervous or something i'll feel it. Almost like my brain tries to send signals to the rest of the body, but does it like 20 percent less than it used to. I just feel something.

I will say though i've stopped for a little bit now and the symptoms appear to have gotten a bit better.
Yes that is just one pain I had.
Please read this article.
It specifically mentions the upper right back.
Jennifer
I was just wondering with everyone who has symptoms. I think my symptoms are improving slightly although i'm not 100 percent sure. I mentioned some of them above. Originially i had this dull pain in my upper back near the spine. Now that is kind of gone, but still remaining is a kind of dull pain in the mid spine. I had some muscle twitching in my eye which had stopped.

Now i kind of get the symptoms on and off during the day. For example this morning i didn't really feel anything. then a couple hrs ago i started to feel it again, now a couple hours later those symptoms have gone back down again. Its kind of coming and going. Now i'm not sure if its just getting better, or my other theory is that from doing daily activities its alowing more blood to flow to certain areas (from my understanding neuropathy can mess up blood flow a bit).

Again i wasn't really taking the b6 for a year or so, it was for about 7-8 weeks. At the beggining i noticed the brain fog and lack of coordination, sluggishness. then came the pins and needles feelings, and the numbness. sluggishness and brain fog has gone away, i have alot more energy, but still the nerve problems seem to be there, i guess its cause the fine nerves take longer to heal. im no sure.

Also i was wondering, i also have this sort of weakness in my neck at times. like if i get nervous or feel some other body emotion, i can feel it in the back of my neck a bit. Was wondering if anyone else experienced that. Its not like the pain in the mid back, but its just there, at times i can feel something.I believe thats the cervical part of the spine.

All in all though i think things could be improving, but i'm going to see a dr soon anyway.
smorris0312, I used to use Smart Balance and other margerines. But they have soy lecithin in them which causes me tremendous pain. I've had to default to real butter, with all it's real fat, because it at least doesn't cause me pain.

In the past week, I've learned something interesting. I can eat Knotts jelly/jam. As much as I want. But if I even have a tablespoon of Smuckers, any flavor, I'm in severe pain for the next hour. It must be something in their fruit pectin! I haven't tried other brands, so I don't know about those.
I've shared only my experience with vitamin therapy, as well as expressed some of my own personal opinions.  I haven't encouraged anyone to continue taking B6 or any other vitamin.  I stated the "safe theraputic dosages".  I also suggested that perhaps those who experience these problems from "B6" only, may not be malabsorbent of that vitamin, or perhaps may you may be "Deficient" of other vitamins, therefore, meaning the Human Body is complex and needs balance, just as well as vitamins.  B vitamins are essential for proper nerve function~ BUT MUST BE TAKEN IN BALANCED DOSAGES.  Key word is Balanced. I am not a medical doctor, but this theory, was my logical way of reasoning this problem out, when I had my "near death experience".  So, after all the research I have done I was elated to find supporting documented research.

I found the following very insightful, hope you do too.

www.holistichealthtopics

www.doctorsresearch.com

www.nutrientreference.com/Vitamin_​B6.html

www.abcarticledirectory.com/Article/​Signs-and-Symptoms

Warm wishes to everyone for a Wonderful Holiday Season and A Healther New Year!
I just wanted to be more specific with some of my symptoms as i know some of you have had some of the symptoms i've had.

I've been experiencing dizziness, some headaches. Numbness in my fingers and my toes. Muscle twitching, once in a while i'd have rapid heartbeat or shortness of breath but only when laying down. My entire body feels numb at different times, on and off. I would assume this has to do with how blood flows differently throughout the day. For example if i do some physical activity i won't feel it as much.

I also had these dull pains in my back near my spine, and weakness in my back and neck. eye floaters and stuff like that have also happened. I also have had pins and needles feelings, especially when laying down.

I think symptoms are improving since i stopped b6 two weeks ago, but there still very annoying and they are there. So i'm hoping with more time they will go away. I recently had a blood test for b6 so i'm going to wait for the results.

One other thing i still have that makes me think the b6 is still in my body. vivid dreaming is still occuring.
im sorry for putting so many post up lately. I actually was just wondering if anyone can answer this simple questions. What type of symtpoms did you experience first. For me a couple weeks ago i starting getting brain fog and headaches, it wasn't until recently (within the past 20 days) that the numbness and such came about. Again the symptoms are kind of off and on.
Hi!
For me, my very first symptoms were tingling across the top of my nose and sensitive teeth. I didn't have any pain in my teeth until around the third month and then not only did I have teeth pain, I had burning mouth, (gums, tongue and cheek areas). It is chronic and severe. It has never subsided.

I do have head aches and head pains. They developed a few years later.
Explain what you mean by brain fog?
My problem is not with b6, it is with b12 – but after reading through the posts here I can't help noticing similarities in the symptoms. I read here that b6 can be kind of addictive as after taking it symptoms subside for a bit, but then return even worse – and this can be confusing. That is exactly what happened to me with b12 – and I kept taking it for 6 months – thinking I needed more and more (yet I was getting iller and iller). I took about 2000-3000mcg a day for 6 months, and 5 months after stopping them I am still ill and so worried about what is happening to me. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone else who has been through this and apparently b12 seems to be quite safe. I find it strange how a lot of my symptoms and the way they come and go sounds so like what is described by others here. I wonder if there is any relation in the mechanism of toxicity?

I got skin rashes which have left me with hyperpigmentation all over my face (which is not fading), broken blood vessels and rough red cheeks. My other symptoms have included: symmetrical joint pain which seemed to come from the nerves in the joints and migrated from joint to joint, buzzing in my ankle, burning and numbness in toes, itching, prickling sensation randomly in different areas, muscle twitching all over, twitching eye, strange nerve sensations where it feels as though something is touching me, lack of appetite and worse of all terrible constant pulsating pain in my arms and legs - seems to be in veins and pain in the elbow joints which worsens in the morning and they can't be straightened they are so stiff. My veins have become prominent all over my body and I've never had such painful periods which have also become irregular. New symptoms come and go all the time, things flare up and then calm down a bit.

Has anyone noticed an increase in autoantibodies? Interestingly my autoantibodies (ANA) were zero before taking b12, went up to 1:80 after 5 months on b12 and went down to 1:40 two months after stopping b12 and my brother may have got anti-smooth muscle antibodies from taking b12. I'm scared I have an autoimmune disease possibly triggered by the b12
I think we all have most of these symptoms so you are not alone.  The veins and all indescribable myriad of pains and arthritic type pain and soreness plus all the neuropathy.

I am pretty sure we have autoimmune reactions as you suggested but they cannot be measured.  All of my inflammation markers were normal, SED, RF, ANA etc. and the docs are puzzled.  All we can do is wait it out.  I think we can heal and  I also noticed the body pains and stiffness the day after I stopped the B6 were horrific and today they still are (2 months now since last vitamin).

Also, neuro degeneration I can feel when it flares up.  I think the flares are lessening but every time I say that I have a bad one.

Take care,
M
I found why i lost all my senses. In my Dorsal Root Ganglion(spinal cord) there is an axonal degeneretion so there is numbness every part of my body.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15473987

Is there no one to know any treatment about this stiation?
I find Pubmed mention about GLP-1 for treatment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1850958/figure/F6/

Please respond my message if you know something, i need your help...

vardic
Hi Vardic,

I just read your post. Did the dr who diagnosed this condition offer any kind of treatment for you? Have you researched anything about axonal degeneration? Was the dr a neurologist?
Maybe it is worth trying the GLP-1 treatment. What are the risks? Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Try to get answers to those questions before you do anything that could potentially cause more problems.

If anyone can help Vardic, please reply, I don't know what to tell him........

Sending prayers. Hang in there!

Susan
I found this informations from Pubmed. I showed Turkish doctors. Doctors still don't believe me. They claim that if you have this diease, heat and touchness didn't return back. My psychiatrist believe me and he is searching also.

What is the GLP-1, actually i don't know, but it is using diabetis metillius causing nerve damage. And also it is using  b6 toxicity for treatment(in pubmed).

I'll try to find new informations.

Thanks for attention Susan.

Vardic
was just wondering as i thought some of you might have mentioned it. Anyone had symtpoms on and off. recently i've had days where i've felt pretty good, but then the next day symptoms kind of come back. I guess maybe things are possibly getting better because symtpoms are getting less frequent, but it plays with my mind a litttle bit.

Also i notice i have this sort of pain in my neck, feels like its a little bit weak. Was wondering if anyone else had that as well, i know one person said they did. For example when i get nervous or something i know the brain sends messages down the spinal cord. Thats when i feel the thing in my neck the most, almost like the signals aren't fully getting to where there supposed to be. Only about 70 percent.
hi, i  think it is due to connective tissue damage and perhaps also magnesium/calcium issues.
Since i have started on D+magnesium supplements again, upped my dose of fishoil and had a session of microcurrent therapy it's settled right down. I have also sworn off proper cappuccinos :( why dosen't the caffeine in tea have the same effect? Must be something xtra in real coffee

I'll post a full list of supplements brands and how  to find microcurrent if you want. Cold laser therapy also works but it's too slow for whole body and my therapist gives extra advice (unlike the doc who owns the laser ahem)

I felt just like you! the pain in the neck ha was actually for me due to a slipped disc so i started on multivitamin as part of plan to heal it - initially fully healed then injured again but the next time arouund the formula in the vitamins had changed to add B6 50mg which took about three months to start causing problems. The neck pain came back and then i noticed the collagen in my hands practically dissolved. My wrists were getting damaged from weeding, walking the dog housework .... as i have a history of vit D defficiency osteoarthritis I thought it was that coming back as it was winter so unfortunately or fortunately I took a magnesium supplement on top of that which had 50mg extra in it so the rapidly resulting neuropathy made the diagnosisof the root cause of the neck pain easy!

So generally speaking anything we put into our bodies that impacts the nervous system can cause symptoms?

I only ask this because i was taking a couple supplements, and after reading some do have an effect on the nervous system. For example one is said to have a relaxing effect on the nervous system. So everytime i take it, i still feel some symptoms, they are mild but they come back for a little bit. Would i be accurate to assume the above. Again i was taking these supplements for almost a year, and not until i started taking high doses of b6, and up until now do i feel something with them.

None of them have b6 in them anymore, this i am sure. I'm just asking about other things in general, even everyday foods. I know caffeine was mentioned above so it made me think.
This is new information about B6 and Niacin (B3) on the web. Seems to answer some of our questions:

"...you may begin to experience pain within other areas of the body. Two of the more common are the side and lower back. You may also notice some joint pain, muscle pain or breast pain from the overuse of these vitamins.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/35965-side-effects-niacin-b6/#ixzz18oYm7FJk"

From:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/35965-side-effects-niacin-b6/

Some of the sites I was looking at online tonight mentioned a lot of skin issues caused by B6, as well. I've had eczema all my life, so I just blame any skin issues on that, and I don't know if any of my skin dryness is related to B6 or not.

--------------------

Vardic, I'm glad that you've gotten a diagnosis. But I hope that somehow you will regain your sense and feeling.

--------------------

Interestingly, a lot of the foods that I am allergic to seem to be the same foods that cause me B6 pain. And many are foods that are also bad for the bladder (I've also been having more and more bladder issues in the past few years, which is probably not related to my B6 issues). I wonder if my body just can't process these foods.

--------------------

Pocketfours, all I know is that since I've been having B6 toxicity issues, and have seen many many doctors, I now know that doctors don't know nearly as much as laymen expect them to. I'm on several medications for several issues now, but I've learned that supplements are very dangerous and not as helpful as I used to assume they were.
I don't know if this affects us too but my B12 was off the chart in all my blood tests.
Of course the docs said "oh, that's ok, this is good".

ARGH...

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/toxicity-of-vitamin-b12.html
I also had blood tests done. I thought they were testing all the b vitamins, but only b12 was tested. the b12 test came back very very high. Doc told me that was a good thing, cause if its low it could cause problems. However i was taking a b vitamin complex, since my b12 is really high i'm gonna assume my b6 is as well. this was about 2 weeks ago.

I also wonder, everytime i work out or something, something that gets my blood pumping i notice an increase of sensations in the body. Like my symptoms go away for a bit. Is it possibly good to continue to do so, increasing blood flow. Maybe it will help. from what i read if neuropathy is the cause then sitting around is not good cause it can cause stiffness.

Right now i will say most of the electrical shock type pain is gone. However i still have this kind of dull pain in the middle of my spine, its making feel like i have a slipped disc almost, maybe pressing on a nerve. Like there is inflammation. From my waist down i'm experiencing slight numbness, what feels like lack of blood flow, cold feet, numbness especially in the toes.

I'm going to soon go to a neurologist so i can rule out maybe a slipped disc or something. If there is some sort of nerve damage will it show up on the MRI?
Hi happy new year everyone! I want to sincerely wish you all a better 2011 and success in healing. Would like to reccomend a few books I've found illuminating. "anti inflamation zone" barRry sears, the curious
man - Hans nieper. Also new yearseve I'll be celebrating  reading the last post for 2010 on this lovely blog as this girl completes her 365" painfree" days - very uplifting http://365painfreedays.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html
On a personal note I've had several completely pain free days recently and feel confident of a full recovery.

I have  the same burning sensation and symptoms and in October, figured out that maybe mine was B6 from sky high B12 and folate tests.  Both of which neurologists said were great.  So I had B6 tested and they screwed up the test and a week passed but I retested and it was still a bit high.

I have the same burning sensations in my legs, feet...feel like icy hot muscle cream is in my veins.

Sore and painful hands, wrists, ankles and feet as well as inner thigh/hip joints.

So frustrated as well. I suspect that you suffer from the B6 as part of the problem.  We'll never know for sure but avoid all supps with it.

I also posted that B12 can be bad at high levels, mine was 1200 I believe when I guessed and tried to check B6 as well.

M
You both mentioned you've had similar symtpoms, and i have as well, however specifically do you have the pain in the upper back. Again it feels almost like a pinched nerve or a slipped disc in my spine. I also notice that i have other symptoms of neuropathy. For example if i do cardio at the gym its supposed to get the blood flowing. However even when i'm done, my hands and feet are still cold, i've been getting headaches, numbness in feet. and loss of sensation a bit in legs.

Its just almost like for whatever reason the blood in my body isn't flowing as well. I used to wake up with really bad headaches and lightheadedness, now that is gone. the symptoms come and go.

About a month ago i stopped all b supplements. about 2-3 weeks ago i took the blood test and b12 was like 1270, and the range limit is 1200. Doc said not to worry to much about it, but i'm assuming if the b12 was high then the b6 had to be really high as well, some of my other supplements contained even more b6 than b12.

So maybe its really early, to be honest if i have to wait a couple months for it to go away i'd be fine, but i just want to know what it is, as with everything else not knowing isn't fun.

Yes, I have all the same troubles...patches on my legs that come and go with a pain on the surface.

Always the same place on my inner quad areas.

We both guessed on the B6 for the same reason,  super high other B's.

Its been 2 months for me and I'm suffering.  I had other neuro stuff from surgical meds before that so the other meds started the trouble and the B6 probably made it so much worse.

When I read your post, I think...I could have written that.

M
thanks for the response. Sorry to keep belaboring the point. So you did have the pain in the back that i had, near the spine? My toes feel numb, and different parts of my body, while they don't feel numb, they just feel like they have lack of sensation. for example i can i pinch my leg really hard and i'll feel it, but only at about 75-80 percent. Its weird.

Again some symptoms have gotten better, but not all. I'm only a month since stopping so i'm hoping things will continue to get better. will keep you posted.
Happy New Year! How is everyone doing? Let me hear from you. Hope you all are making progress. Share with us any ideas you might have...........or just vent if you need to.

And if there is anyone who has made a full or even recovered at least 90%, I'd like to hear from you too!

Blessings to all of you.........hope 2011 is a better one :-)
Hi there, just stumbled across this community.
My situation is very different, yet still very similar.  I started having stabbing pains in my toes late June 2010, sent to see neurologist and after extensive blood tests finally found that B6 was non-existant in me; not absorbing at all!
Dr. put me on 100mg to get started (don't know why I wasn't absorbing). Pain continued, still had horrible burning in toes and bottom of feet, sleep was barely there, even with narcotics! Then late December I felt fantastic for about 5 days, then it slowly started getting worse, pain came back in the feet, but then I started getting the most horrible headaches I had ever had in my entire life. I was still on 100mg B6.  I dropped down to just a B Complex about a week ago and the headaches of disappeared, but I'm concerned that if I give up B6 supplement altogether then the problem will still be there from not being able to absorb it.  Somewhere there has got to be the right amount for me. I know that I developed B6 toxicity while trying to heal from not having B6. I feel rather helpless these days.  I hate being so exhausted from not sleeping.
As you've read here, you definitely don't want to take too much B6. It seems that everyone's body is different and some absorb it more than others. If you haven't tried it already, try taking some digestive enzymes (purchased at a vitamin or health food store) with each meal. Maybe that will help your body metabolize B6 naturally found in foods and then you won't need the supplements.

If you eat foods high in B6 (flax, bananas, potatoes, wheat bread) do you feel better or worse? If you feel worse, you might have B6 toxicity.
my doc. told me, me my blood work came back with high b6 and it would make me burn like i am now. the medication is not helping much. most days i burn BAD,BAD,BAD, i have not had a good day since i got this january 5th, my feet and legs up to my knees and through my chest burn and my tongue. i have never had anything like this. i read on the net when you take Vitamins you can not tell they are hurting you untill they have already caused nerve damage untill it is to late. and it would be permanent. my regular doc, tould me it could be to but lets hope not. but i am thanking it is to late. because this is bad and it is not getting any better let me put a word out there STOP TAKEING VITAMINS YOU GET ENOUGH FROM YOUR FOOD IF YOU EAT GOOD YOU DO NOT NEED V ITAMINS. I DID NOT KNOW THIS. I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOOD FOR YOU. i did not abuse them either. ALL FOOD HAS B6 YOU CAN NOT FIND ANY WITHOUT IT.  
It's so hard to find food that doesn't have B6. What's really annoying is how many things have vitamins added, when you don't need them. I haven't found a good tasting cereal that doesn't have B6 or niacin added.

I searched and finally found some baking flour that wasn't enriched. A few grocery stores in my area carry a brand called Hodgson Mill that just has flour. No preservatives or anything unnecessary. I've been able to get it in white flour and whole-wheat. I've also found bread that's not enriched, but you have to buy organic and because there are no preservatives, a loaf doesn't last more than a week.
Here is a source of B6 free cookies, rye bread, cinnamon raisin bagels etc.

They ship to your house on Monday after an order is placed.

FYI...

http://www.naturalovens.com/

http://www.naturalovens.com/Shop/Bakery/index.html?PHPSESSID=f16277cde16dca0b2720796864cbd1b6
FYI........

There is now a blog set up for B6 toxicity. You can get there by simply typing:
       http://B6toxicity.blogspot.com

A great souce of info, especially regarding foods high and low in B6.
Hope you find this helpful...........

Susan
just want to jump in here and say that this forum has been of great help! I have been taking a muli-vitamin with iron on and off now for about a year, but started taking it much more regularly around the new year, plus started on a b-complex and lots of cereal too at the same time. was feeling very run down and in need of the extra 'help' when i started on all these. i took them for a total of about 7 weeks, tops. had been starting to get suspicious of the b-complex especially as i've taken multis in the past with no problems, but since starting the b-complex my left hand seemed to have developed a shake/tremble after a week or two. 6 weeks down the line, my arms and legs stopped working smoothly, and walking became difficult, very wobbly, my left leg kept hitting the ground wrong like the heel was in front of where it should have been. needless to say, i've since stopped all the supps and cereal. the walking problems cleared up after about 5 days, although going down the stairs is still not back to normal. what shocks me is that i was only on about 5-6mg B6 a day all combined, but from what ive read on here thats still enough to cause problems.

since stopping, i've been getting lots of tingling feeling in arms and legs, mostly on my left side, and tingling on the left side of my face and scalp. the brain fog and confusion are clearing up a little. and yesterday i had cramps in my head, behind my left eye and in my ears. at least from what you all say, nerves can regenerate from b6 tox much better than they do from b12 deficiency. I've been to the dr, but my GP on the NHS will only test for b-vits if thyroid tests come back abnormal, but my thyroid tests all come back fine. might get referred to a neuro in the next few weeks, but that can take about 6 weeks, by which time it sounds like the b6 blood levels will be back to normal. so looks like i'm on my own with this for the time being...

thank you again everyone, this forum makes me feel less alone.
Its ridiculous to say that the damage from B6 toxicty is permanent.  Once the supplement is stopped, according to my research, it is mostly likley totally reversible.  Most sites will say it can take up to 6 months for recovery.  Some sites say that "some" may never fully recovery.  But to me, "some" is the small minority.  I talked to my ENT doc about the ringing in my ears.  He stated that with nerve dmage in general, as long as the nerve cell has not been killed, but only damaged, you will recover.  My neuro, who actually wrote a paper on vitamin toxicty, stated that for me full recovery should occur after the supplement is stopped.  I had a level over 140 and took the supplement for maybe 8 weeks.  Here is hoping that we all recover ASAP.  
I hope it's not permanent, but I don't hold my breath.  I took b-complex for over two years, had tingling symptoms for almost two years before the docs figured it out.  I'm now a year and a half off of b6 with normal levels, but still have most of my symptoms.  So - it seems that recovery might have something to do with the length of time prior to diagnosis or still on the supplement.  I praise God that I am not in pain, just annoyed by my symptoms.

Can you find the paper that your neuro wrote?  Would you post a link here?
fruitcake, hope you dont mind me asking but have you had your b12 levels tested? am sure you have, but as your nerves heal from the b6 tox, your body will use up its b12 reserves, and low b12 can cause nerve damage too. damned if we do, damned if we dont it seems.

gary, its good to hear someone mention ringing ears. mine have been ringing since just before i got toxic (prob from the flu), but since getting toxic the sound has changed, but is still there. am hoping that getting toxic while recovering from flu won't have damaged my ear nerves, its one thing that really scares me :(

it sounds like, on the whole, no matter your dose or length of time being toxic, it takes 6 months for the body to remove the toxic levels of b6 completely, and after that it can take another year or so for the body to heal itself and re-grow nerves. the longer you were toxic/higher levels, the longer healing takes.
Yes.  Very high levels of B12 in this body.  Thanks for asking and caring!
I am so glad I read these postings.  I was very low in all my vitamins and started taking several things.  I took a good liquid multi-vitamin, green pills, a blood glucose aid (I thought I may be diabetic but am not) thyroid blend, amino acid blend, omega 3-6-9.  At first I felt great, then I felt quite unwell.  Dizziness and a sense of disconnect was the worst, along with fatigue.  Then tingling and almost a "puffy" feeling in my left thumb, index and ring fingers even though they all looked fine.  Headaches.  Facial warmth and tingling.  Insomia came as well.  I eventually noticed that I consistently felt worse after taking vitamins.  I experimented a bit and found some made me feel worse, others didn't.  The one consistency in most of these blends was high b vitamins.  Finally I saw that my symptoms match B6 toxicity.  I've only been doing this heavy dose of vitamins for a month and a half so being off them for a couple days has helped.  I have waves of symptoms come and go but they're not all day.  I was taking 4000%-6000% of my daily B6, often twice a day.  Thank you all so much for sharing your stories.  Hopefully my detox won't be too rough since I didn't overdose for too long a period.
Fruitcake: no problem! i have every sympathy for you and everyone else going through this, we all need to stand together.

fitzgerald: here's hoping you figured it all out in time, sounds like you did. but be prepared for some discomfort as you detox and your nerves heal. detoxing will take about 6 months, with nerve healing starting after that. i was on ~6mg a day for about 7 weeks and thought i had caught it in time. have you had your levels checked? mine haven't so can't tell how badly i was toxified before stopping. make sure to stop all supplemental b6, and cut out as much natural b6 as possible for a while.

now as i start my 2nd month of detox i am noticing more sensations. buzzing and pulsing in nerves (arms, legs, face), can feel my pulse in all my muscles, prickling/stabbling in hands and feet, numbness in face and toes, fatigue, muscle tension, aches/pains in muscles and joints, joint popping. things get worse as the day goes on, but all manageable so far. thankfully the brainfog and confusion are much better (but get worse, along with the trembling, when going toxic again). just have to keep reminding myself that these are all signs of healing.
This is my first post, but I have found the information very helpful on this website.  I started having tingling in my legs back in January following taking antiboitics for ear and sinus infections. I do have the tingling in my back and sometimes a burning sensation in my arms, but the legs are the primary place.  Was referred to a neuro who has done blood work and EMG's, all of which were normal...still waiting on MRI results.   Unfortunatley because of an error in the lab, my B6 was not done until I caught it on the lab report.  To make a long story short, my B6 level is 575. Also, my B12 is high, but he didn't seem worried about that.  He told me to stop all B6, which I have....this was a week ago.  I was only taking a total of 35mg daily in my regular vitamins, so for some reason I do not absorb the B6 and it stays in my system.  Another doctor I see told me that I should have been taking the B6 Phosphate which is the active form of B6 and not the Pyridoxine HCI that is in most multis as some people have problems with absorbtion. I was told to drink lots of water and exercise as much as possible to get the B6 out of my muscles.  I am unclear about this whole thing and not sure what to do next.  I have heard that it is okay to eat foods that naturally contain B6 and then read other places that it is not.  Like all of you, I just want this to stop.  Are there other things I need to do to speed up the detox process?   Thanks so much.
From my experience and from what I've read, there's no way to speed up the healing. There are only ways to deal with it. Nerve medication, like Lyrica, can reduce the symptoms. Of course, medications generally have side-effects.

I started taking vitamin B6 four years ago. I've been off the B6 supplements (including multi-vitamins) completely for a year and a half now. If I eat foods high in B6 (flax, potatoes, soy, bananas), I will get pain for a few hours. I'd say that I'm about 50% better. So maybe I have a few more years until I'm close to normal without pain. Hopefully, I will eventually get back to normal.
I've found avoiding sugar has helped a little, i seem to get a few problems with low blood sugar now since getting toxic, makes me feel very low and depressed, sometimes get black 'sparkles' in my peripheral vision. drink plenty too, as the b6 will be flushed out in urine. don't overdo the exercise, as your body will has been through a lot and will find too much excersise very tiring. i find just going up the stairs gets my heart racing now! and avoid taking any vitamins, i tried taking a sublingual B12 about a week into detox and the tingling was the worst i ever had, all over my left side head to toe. have avoided them since. just give your body a break, and it will heal itself in its own time.
Thanks to both Meganamy and helz-belz.   I have been drinking LOTS of water and will recheck blood level this week.  I have stopped all B vitamins, but still take calcium, Vitamin D, Omega 3 and Co -Q10.  But not taking the multiple vitamin that had the B's in it.  Some days are not as bad as others and I think it must be the food I have eaten.  You may be on to something about the sugar...I did have sugar Friday evening and again some Sunday morning and by that afternoon, it was worse.  I do keep a food diary so if I notice the tingling worse after a certain food, I make a note and try not to eat it again.
It would be interesting to find out why certain people do not absorb the B6.  I was on only 35mg a day. It's no telling how long it had been building up in my system...never had it checked till the tingling started.

Thanks for responding.  
the impression i get from reading all the posts here, blood levels seem to return to normal after 2 months, irrespective of levels (at least as far as i can tell). after the blood levels are normalised, thats when the B6 that gets stored in our muscles and tissues starts to leach out. the muscle-stored B6 is what causes a lot of problems of its own (for me, seriously tight muscles in my shoulders and back). excersise really helps with the leaching process! but leaching cannot begin until the blood levels are normal (i think).

you're right, it seems some people cannot digest/absorb B6 as well as others. I was on 6-7mg a day, much less than the UK legal over-the-counter upper limit of 10mg. my problems started when i was taking a b-complex from Tesco, the multi from Boots didnt seem to affect me at all (or at least not to the same extent, maybe it was building up slowly, been using it for about a year). maybe they used different versions of B6?
You are right about exercise. A doctor I know who is into holistic treatment told me to drink lots of water and exercise as much as possible.  The exercise helps to get the b6 out of the muscles.
I know since I stopped b6 a few weeks ago that the tingling has changed...just different sensations and on different parts of my body and some days are worse than others...I am keeping track of what I eat and trying to see what I have eaten on the days it is worse.  I do not know how long after you eat something that is a "trigger" food until the symptoms are worse...perhaps it is different with each person.

I have read that acetyl l-carnitine can help, but not sure of the dosage...does anyone know?

Thanks.
i found the same thing about the tingling! just before/after stopping supps i had proper pins and needles tingling in my left side, now it is more of a buzzing/vibrating feeling, along with numbness in new areas and sensations in areas which were numb, plus some joint pain. even as i type the left corner of my lip which has been numb since before finishing the supps is buzzing slightly, maybe the feeling is coming back!

am not sure how long it takes for a trigger food to show its affects, but dont think its long, probably within 2 hours. for me, i know i'm going toxic again when i can hear the TV on standby (odd!) but that usually comes on around half hour after eating b6 high foods like potatoes, but is happening less often now and less severely.

not persoanlly using acetyl l-carnitine or any other supps, but have read on here in previous posts that others have found it useful. would be good if some of the previous posters could come back and tell us what helped in the long run.
I believe i have b6 toxicity. I have been taking b6 since January. I started taking it because its helps with nausea during pregnancy. I started taking 100mg a day because that was the dosage of the pills. Then i up it to 400mg and sometimes more because i was still feeling nauseated. About a month ago. I started having tingling and numbness and brain fog along with some coordination issues. I was so scared. I am also a nursing student, so i knew that all of these sx were related to MS. I just knew I had it. this as lead to me having panic attacks and severe anxiety. I have had 2 MRI and lots of blood work done. Everything is perfect, but I was still not convinced. Then one day i decided not see the RDA for b6 and that was when I found out about b6 toxicity. I am so relieved that I have found this forum and that i know what is going on with me. I know also have muscle twitches along with the tingling. I made a BIG mistake last week, I started taking my prenatal vit again thinking it shouldnt cause any harm and boy was I wrong. I was also drinking lots of powerade. So I have to start my detox over. I just want everything to go back to normal. I cant see any light right now. Oh I have my first appt with a neurolgist friday, i pray that he has heard of this condition.
Hopefully the neurologist can help you, but from what I have read on this forum, most doctors do not know about this.  In fact, I saw my neurologist last week and he knew very little, but I am thankful he had the brains to test me when no one else would. I have been off b6 since 4/5/11.  Since stopping I have weird symptoms I never had before...the tingling has changed, my ears ring more than they ever did, tingling sometimes feels more like buzzing or vibrations, weird feelings in my head..not really a headache, but similar...the past week I have been having spells that are similar to dizziness.  My doctor for some reason checked my b6 level after only 3 weeks from the first test and the level dropped drastically from 575 to 98.  The normal range for this test was 30-125. I do not know if such a drastic drop is normal...maybe someone who has been on this forum and knows more than me can answer that. I was fasting for the 2nd blood test and for the first test I had taken b6 within a few hours of the test.
Bottom line, this is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced...some days I feel fairly good, then the next I feel awful.  I have noticed like most on here that certain foods make the symptoms worse..soy is really bad for me.
Perhaps others can give you advise.  I am still looking for answers myself.
Good luck and hang in here.
Hi, I'm new here.  I had a 2nd MRI come back with "suggested demyelination."  I read up on it and the 2 things that came to me were: could be thyroid disease and could be too much B6.  I counted up the amount I took in 2 different supplements and it came to 200 mgm.  I stopped taking it for a couple of days and then went back (advice of a doctor!!!) and took 100 mgm for one day only and the symptoms became worse immediately.
I have odd sensations in my feet and my balance is off.  This has gone on for some time, but didn't really look at it until I had the MRI results being abnormal.  I have been to 2 physicians this past week, and both said B6 is water soluble, no problem with the amounts I took.

Guess again!!!  I will see a neurologist in July.  In the meantime the info on this forum has helped me immensely.  I have asked to have blood levels of B6 done but both drs said they don't do that.  (?)  I'm taking B12 sublingual spray twice daily, and the blood level came back normal on it.
Not sure how long this has gone on, since I have been diagnosed 10 yrs ago with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.  Wondering now if the extreme tiredness and abnormal sleep/daytime nap studies were due to vitamin B6 levels being too high.
I already sleep better, just being off B6 for a week or 10 days.  Incredible.
My tingling is also a a buzzing/vibration feeling now. this just started a few days ago, Hopefully its apart of healing. I also have the funny feeling, its more like a brain fog. Sometimes i feel like I am  "in the days". Ive never had ringing in my ears, that will probably be the next thing. ugh! I really wish I would have gotten my levels check now. I wish some of the other people would come back and give us updates. I want some reassurance that this will go away.
hey how long were you taking b6? was it a vitamin or just straight b6? i was taking straight b6.
  I ended up with B6 Toxicity for the same reasons. I was taking vitamin B6 supplements in pregnancy to reduce nausea. Plus, I was taking a prenatal vitamin. But my symptoms were different. I knew the typical B6 Toxicity symptoms and what to look out for, but I didn't have them. I ended up with tingling in my breasts instead. Like the kind of pain you get when your foot falls alseep and you move again. Pins and needles. So I didn't know that it was B6 Toxicity and kept taking the vitamin B6... for another year. From January 2007 - April 2008. And I'm *still* detoxing now in 2011. I've had setbacks, because other medications and foods end up having B6 in them and I don't know about it until I start feeling pain again. I'm glad you figured it out earlier than I did.
thank u so much for replying! Man i hate to hear that you are still detoxing. I dont wish this on anyone and you have had it for so long. So did you continue to take the pills even with your breast feeling tingly? I was also taking a prenatal vitamin...UGH! my ob/gyn said she has never heard of b6 toxicity either. She said she was going to look into. Did you get your b6 levels checked?
I have been taking a multiple vitamin for many years that had 25mg of B6.  I started having tingling in January of this year and went to a neorologist who checked my B6.  I also was on Levaquin in January which can also cause neurological symptoms, so mine could be a combo of both...who knows.  He is sending me to another neuro for a 2nd opinion next week.  I can deal with the tingling, but the weird sensation in my head is not good...it is very hard to describe...kinda like a feeling of my head being heavy with pressure inside.  I do feel dizzy occasionally, but thank God it does not last.  It sometimes moves around or can involve my whole head.  Has anyone else ever had symptoms like this?
yeah i think my brain fog has a different feeling then you are describing. I am also getting over bells palsy, i have had this for 2 months. that could be causing the brain fog as well, who knows. I just want to go back to normal so bad. i want my neuro to test my b6 but im sure they are probably in normal range from reading some of the other post, the go down within 3wks.
I started detox 3 years and 5 months ago.  I had taken B50 complex for many years.
--The blood level of B6 goes back to normal in a matter of days after you stop the  supplements.  The blood sample must be collected in the dark and processed immediately and the plasma frozen.
--I had symptoms beyond comprehension; tingling, vibration as if I stuck my finger in a light socket, off balance, heavy heaf, brain fog, blurred vision, eyes very sensitive to light, feet problems, and etc.

The recovery is like a yoyo, forward and backwards.  At this point I am still a little off in the head with blurred vision at times.  The biggest thing for me at this point is total body ache with physical activity and sensitive joints (it move around from joint to joint).
WOW I have all of those sx, the blurred vision, which i did not know was related to the b6, my eyes are very sensitive to light. I am constantly having to take of my glasses because of all the glare and putting on sunglasses. The brain fog is horrible its like im in the twlight zone sometimes. I remember when I called anylabtestnow to get my b6 levels checked, she asked me to bring in some aluminum foil because they were out and she was the only on there, she needed the foil because the test was light sensitive. I was just online doing some eye exercises that are suppose to help with your vision. I guess i dont have blurred vision as much, its more like I lose focus when I look at things that are bright, like the computer or my cell phone. Im glad to hear that you are recovering. I just wish it wasnt so long. maybe your healing takes longer than most because you were on the b50 complex for so long. I pray that one day you can wake up pain free, i really do. today was pretty good for me, not as much tingling or pain I also slept very well last night. I have only been drinking water and paying attention to what I eat. OH and I brought some apples and apple juice today. I read theyre a good source to get rid of the b6. When a person detoxifies their liver they have to fast on apples and apple juice for about three days in the beginning of the detoxifying. the b6 is stored in the liver and the liver is only able to get rid of 50mg per day, by eating the apples it can absorb more.
I can relate to the head pressure thing, like my brain is bigger and pressing inside my skull/behind my ears. Am sure its not actually swollen or anything, but it feels like it is. Am well into month three of detox, and the tingling is GONE. now have a lot of buzzing/vibrating feelings in feet, and some numbness in toes and face (mostly lips), prickling too in hands and feet, ringing/whistling ears too. have some eye problems too, lots of after images, and blue sparks that appear in my vision, not sure if these are b6 or anxiety related though...

saw a programme last night that was looking at facial surgery, and they had to reattach a cheek nerve into a patient who had half their face paralised/numbed through injury. the doctors said as the nerve was 280mm long, it would take 280 days for healing to work from one end to the other. so thats 1mm a day that we will be healing. motor nerves will show healing by twitching apparently
I went to the neurologist today and thank god she knew about b6 toxicity. She tested more losts of things. MS was ruled out. She tested my b6 levels and also lots of other things. I should have my results early next week. I am also going to have a EMG June 10th. they said my left hip reflexes were not as strong. they are still active, but their just weak. my left leg and arm reflexes are strong. they told me it this was also normal with b6 toxicity.
i got my lab results today and everything looked great!! they believe it is definitely b6 toxicity. I have not had much tingling for about a week now. I have been very careful about what i eat and drink and have not taken any vitamins. my next neurologist appt is next tuesday and that is when i get the emg...i will keep you all updated. GOOD LUCK!
Ask the neurologist what the point of the EMG is???

If it shows demylenation, what happens to the treatment you are on?

If it shows NO demylenation, does that treatment change??

They will be shocked you asked such a simple question!

If they can't give you a change in treatment options, then you will suffer for no reason during the test like I did and after the pain you will say " gee, I wonder why the hell I did that??"

Just a thought.
not directly B6 related, but intersting none-the-less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13536479

Denmark has banned the sale of Marmite, on the grounds that foods added/enriched with vitamins can be harmful to health. Sounds to me like Denmark have got it right, these things are not good for you! They've also banned foods like Rice Crispies and Ovaltine for the same reasons. I've posted about the dangers of B6 toxicity in the comments section of the article, but this being the UK, most of the comments are about the madness of the EU/Danes/jokes about bacon etc etc, nobody seems to be taking it seriously :(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13544886

little interview from the breakfast news about the Danish Marmite-ban. I've no idea who this nutritionist is, but she doesn't seem to have a clue about b vitamin toxicity. Yes, mention the vitamin A 'scare', but Marmite is not fortified with A, only Bs. THAT is why the Danes have banned it. It scares me a little that B6 toxicity is so little known in the UK (i was told it was my thyroid, a virus, anxiety and psychosomatic by various doctors, not once was vit tox even mentioned). many people might be suffering needlessly from this problem here because the nutritionists all think that supplemental b vits are essential. its so frustrating!
I have had 5 months of right foot and hand severe paresthesia, pins and needles, electrical shock sensations. I stopped the excessive B6 in late February, 2011. Last month, I added magnesium and sublingual B12. I exercise vigorously. I am eager to try anything else that will help heal my B6 neurotoxicity. Can anyone post what has helped them, if anything. If we do nothing but stop the B6, will the nerves regenerate? I tried Thorne Neurochondria, that someone suggested in this forum, but it caused rapid heartbeat and anxiety, wired feeling, which, if you look at the ingredients, L carnitine and lipoic acid, it can definitely cause those side-effects, so I had to stop that supplement. Any suggestions from "survivirs" would be greatly appreciated.
I read your post and was wondering what kind of apples? Does it matter? I have heard that granny smith apples are usually the best. How do you know they are a good source to absorb the B6? Just curious...........

FYI..........Be sure you read all labels, even labels on bottled water.
Apparently some flavored bottled water have B6, so BE CAREFUL. (Dsanti is one)
It would be better to drink just plain bottled water in the most purest form.
sorry i havent been on the forum for awhile. But for the person that is wondering about the apples, I believe, if i remember correctly, someone from either this forum or another one the discusses b6 toxicity and when I read on there I did some indepth research on the web and confirmed it. I remember I had googled the topic and I didnt get a straight forward answer until I was on page 6 or 7 on the google results. I found about 3 or 4 websites that confirmed that apples helped the liver get rid of b6. If I come across the site I will definitely post the url.

I got the EMG done two weeks ago and my neuro said everything was normal. He also checked my reflexes again and they were all strong and normal. So yes I will have to agree with mappel02, I really did the test for nothing. He told me there was nothing he could do, my body has to heal on its own. I believe that if the test did or didnt show demylenation there wouls be no change in the treatment, because according to him there isnt any treatment. UGH so frustrating! I have my follow up appt friday, Im thinking about not going and keeping my $30 copay.

Also PLEASE WATCH WHAT U EAT.  I know this is something that we all know. But eventhough I know this, I really messed up. For about 2 weeks I was very cautious on what I was eating and drinking and then I became very lazy because I was feeling so well. HORRIBLE idea just horrible. I have had another relapse. This is the most depressing thing ever. I really want to get better and I know its going to take along time but i keep on messing up and everytime I relapse I make the healing process longer. I would like to say that I have noticed the potatoes, onions, and beef are HUGE triggers for the parathesis. Oh and also grains and rice. And really messed up two days ago. I was out running errands and became really thirsty and I ended up buying a SOBE water. I get home and as I drink the rest of the water my fiancee brings it to my attention that SOBE water is just like Vitamin Water....its full of b6. I just wanted to cry. So please be careful; check labels, do research, we have to stay away from these products. I no it ***** and its not fair that we have to suffer, but if we dont we will never get well. I wish you all the best of luck. We can get through this. I know for me, its really hard to see the light right now.
what are some symptoms have you all noticed during the detox/ healing process. I am having alot of abdominal pain. Ive read others comments that have said the same thing. Also what other kind of pain do u all have? what does it feel like? is it off and on or consistently?
Wow. I'm just amazed. I had B6 toxicity a very long time ago - over 8 years now. At the time, virtually no one believed me. Luckily my neurologist, though he never tested for it, believed me when I suggested it. But no other doctors did. Anyway, I was taking 50mg per day for about a year, and ended up with virtually all the symptoms people have noted above. I'd just like to tell you all that it took a very long time to heal - something like 5 years really, but that things were much better in a year or two. I think I'm pretty stable now. Nothing I eat has a noticeable effect, but I still don't take a multi-vitamin, nor drink vitamin water, nor eat those snack bars that are vitamin fortified. Occasionally a toe or two feels asleep, but I'm used to it, and it doesn't bother me enough to try to track it down to a particular food. Otherwise, no real symptoms any more.

I just wanted you all to know that you're not wrong that B6 toxicity can cause all these symptoms, and most importantly, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there!

Nina
Oops, forgot to say why I am amazed. I'm amazed that so many people are affected by this problem, and that it's still not very well known. But we're all so lucky to have each other's support.
Has anyone ever heard of B6 toxicity causing problems with the tongue? I have been told I have geographic tongue which I never had before.  Have seen 2 doctors who say GT is no big deal...easy for them to say.  My tongue stays a little swollen and tender.  I have noticed that when I eat certain foods, it gets worse.  This could be be food allergy, but just wondering if anyone has had this problem.
Thanks.
I would like to make a comment to the person who inquired about pain in the tongue.
That is ONE of my symptoms. A painful, burning, stinging tongue. The pain is persistent and occasionally subsides, but is ever present. It was one of the first of many symptoms to develop and I have been suffering for 5 1/2 years with this. My teeth pain and muscles that control movement of my mouth feel like razors blades slicing my nerves. I have been detoxing for 14 months now and can say I think things are settling down a bit. My hands and feet have symptoms of numbness, burning, stinging and walking is difficult at times.
On the advice of Dr Andrew Weil, a world renown physician of integrative medicine told me to take fish oil-DHA, acetyl L carnitine and methyl B12 as well as eating whole foods, water in the purest form ( no fruit flavored waters) and that I should see improvement anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. I have good days and bad days and when they are bad, they are very,very bad. I try to watch my diet, but I like to eat healthy and the most healthy foods are rich in B6. Be care with smart balance butter......it has 35% B6!!! Good grief! As far as I know, time is on our side and healing takes time. Someone inquired how much acetyl L carnitine to take: I just take it once a day, but you might want to take it twice a day for a few months, then go to just once a day.
We will make it! Hang in there everyone. Keep me posted on your recovery.....I am praying for all of you :-)
Thanks for inspiring hope! I keep having relapses because I'll have an unrelated medical condition and then get prescription medications which end up having B6 in them or some starches or fillers that set me back. Now, I'm even starting to suspect my allergy medication. I know some of my medications for my bladder condition make my B6 pain worse. Or I'll take Lyrica for the B6 pain, and feel better, but it'll cause another side effect and then I'll take something because of that side effect and my B6 pain is worse. I've finally just stopped all medications except for one antihistamine and my thyroid medication.
  hey guys I hope you all had a good day. My neuro called me this morning. He says he wants to do a MRI of my neck and spine. He said he wants to make sure I dont have any  pinched nerves. Has anyone else had this issue? He says he wants to rule out everything. I dont think he understands that relapses are normal in the healing process. I told him that I was eating food that were high in b6 and that was what cause these feelings to return. He also told me that he has not dealt with too many b6 cases and he plans on doing alot of research. He thinks that my symptoms should get better instead of getting worse. He told me to stay away from grains but veggies and fruit that have b6 are okay...WRONG lol everything with B6 is bad right now. I can only respect is honesty and desire to make me feel better he really is a wonderful doctor that actually shows that he cares. But since we talked today I will not be going to my appt Friday. I will just see him when the results from my MRI get back.
sorry my last post was all not me
recieved my MRI results...everything looks good. He wants to see me if my symptoms get worse or in 3wks. I also had my levels rechecked and they are now at a 13 he said that is in normal range but they like to see if between a 2 and 5. I have only been detoxing for 2 and half months so I have along way to go. my neuro believes we should see lots of improvement when I get to the six month mark...we shall see.

just to let everyone know that it seems like month 4 is when things start to get going with healing. in the last few weeks the numb part of my lip has started to get twinges, like its being poked. this part of my lip has not had feeling since january, when was still on the multis. am well into month 4 of detox now, and the feelings in my lip give me hope. the brain fog is terrible like i'm floating around and nothing is going into my brain. also getting a lot of facial prickling, and electric feelings in hands and feet, and some small shocks that make my leg jump. does anyone else get these things?

what is everyones opinion of SL b12? now am into month 4, I've started taking a very small crumb of SL b12 (Lifeplan brand, about the only one in the UK) once a week, prob about 250ug, am hoping it's doing good, at least to keep my b12 levels stable during healing. what does anyone else think?
I am now going to meet with a well-respected homeopathy MD, and see if he can help me with the B6 toxicity symptoms. It is a rather expensive trip to fly out and meet with him in his clinic, but if it will be helpful, it will be worth it. I'll let you know. Homeopathy seems to be well known as a useful treatment for peripheral neuropathy. We'll see how this goes.
yes please let us know if he is any help. i hope he is. good luck!
I am really scared to take any kind of vitamins. But if you find out that B12 will help let me know because I will take it too. As a matter of fact I will call my neuro tomorrow to see what he thinks. I will let you know.
from what i read on here, lots of people seemed to take b12 after about month 4, so i tried with about a quater of a b12 tablet on the last 2 sunday evenings. for me, i felt better for the first day (brain fog cleared up no end!), but by thursday on each week I had terrible migraines, heavy aches in the areas i'm most affected by (left side of face, left arm, feet), and my ears were ringing and whistling much worse than usual. OK, so these might not be caused by the b12, just the withdrawal as it left my system later in the week, or a bad reaction to the brand i used, am not sure. but for me, b12 makes me feel much worse, so i won't be taking it again. I've probably buggered about with my body enough with the b6 tox, so shouldnt keep buggering about with it anymore. I've learnt my lesson, so personally I'm going to keep off as many b-vits as possible and let my body heal itself on its own.

thats not to say it won't work for you though, this was just my experience.

I'd love to know what your neuro has to say on the matter though. I'm doing this blind as it were, no dr believed me said it was a virus or psychosomatic, thankfully this forum is helping no end! and apart from the b12 hiccup, healing seems to be following the right path, no more tingling but more buzzing, pricks etc etc. the body is an amazing thing, it can heal itself if we just give it time and space (at least, thats my theory).
Hi all, I am new to this great community and maybe this already been dealt with, but... has anyone of you experienced any hearing problems related to B6 toxicity? Apart from the same symptoms you guys have with numbness, tingling, head pressure etc. I get sudden high-frequency hearing loss from time to time, which I haven't had before and the pressure in my head is causing me to not hear anything above 1000 cycles in my left ear. I have extremely high levels of B6 in my blood according to my doc.
hi keol, welcome to the group! hearing problems don't seem to be common from what I've learnt, although some people get ringing in the ears from b6. I've had mild ringing/hissing ears for years, but the b6 has caused it to get much worse, and my left ear started whistling while i was getting toxic, which am sure is b6 related, as it went away for a while after i stopped taking the multis. its back now though, but that it went away for a while i think is a good sign. i get the sudden piercing whistles more often than i used to. and the hearing in my left ear doesnt feel as clear, like its stuffed up especially if i turn my head to the right, like its pulling inside, is that similar to how you feel? am wondering if its related to very tense muscles which can also be a b6 symptom.
My experience was that B12 was necessary for healing from the B6 toxicity. The toxicity kills the myelin sheaths on the nerve endings and B12 is what helps rebuild them! At first I didn't take B12, but then my body used so much to recover that I got seriously deficient in B12...which actually has similar symptoms to the B6 toxicity :( So, I got B12 shots and took Jarrow brand B12 sublinguals and while it took a long time to recover (over a year) I am convinced that was an important part of the healing. If you do take B12, be sure to take the methyl versus the cyno.

Sav
Yes, I have had similar issues with whistling sounds in my left ear. I did have surgery a yr and a half ago to correct a problem in my ear and the whistling started around five or six months ago. I was diagnosed with hearing loss (high frequency), so I don't know how much is B6 related. My whistling in the ear is constant but does subside and intensifies if I am under stress. I did not have this symptom at the onset of my B6 problems, if I did, then I would think it is definately related to the B6. I take a supplement called Tinusol for the ear ringing and it helps a little. My ears also feel a little stuffed up too. I have numbness in my left ear as well, probably due to the surgery.
All of this is very frustrating.
Savmay is right.........taking methyl B12 is important in the healing process. It has made a difference for me. I take it every other day.
Has anyone every heard of oxygen therapy for the treatment of B6? My dr is looking into it as a possibility that it might help speed up the healing process.
If anyone on the forum has tried it, let us know if it works or not.
Thanks!
Hi I lefted a message with my Neuro on Friday about the B12 I'm hoping to hear from him tomorrow.
Just checking in.
Hope there is lots of healing going on.
Jennifer

Did your neuro ever get back to you on the B12 question?

Thanks a bunch!