Nutrition Community
Benefits of red meat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Benefits of red meat?

I know all the bad stuff about red meat, but I cannot help how much I love it.  Iron aside, are there any health benefits to occasionally consuming red meat?

Thank you for your time!
Depends on the red meat -- some are lean, some are just fat, such as corn fed beef from cows.  Buffalo, on the other way, grass fed, has only about 5% body fat.  Deer wildly grazed has even less.  There is a theory that blood type has a role in how beneficial meat is for you, but occasional use shouldn't be harmful.  Vegetarianism is relatively new in human life, and is largely philosophical.  By nature, we were all originally hunter gatherers, and ate whatever we could find.  But that, for most of us, was a long time ago, and we've developed three new blood types since then.
I've heard of that blood-type diet, but I doubt it has any real bearing on how much of what type of meat we should eat.  Also, there's just no way under the sun I'd ever become a vegetarian.  Just look at our teeth.  The incisors and canines are meant for tearing while the back ones are flat and only meant for mashing. http://bit.ly/d4jhyt  If we were meant to be herbivores, we would not have incisors or canines.

I won't be changing the one-serving of meat per day in my diet (which changes slightly by type of meat), but I'm still looking for any specific health benefits of red meat that I do not know about.
That's because, other than the protein, there aren't any.  You can get everything else in healthier foods.  There are minerals, of course.  The iron is mostly in organ meats, which are also where the animal stores all the toxins it took in and couldn't eliminate, so it's better to get that from plant sources.  We eat meat for the protein, basically.  And the taste.  There are no complete proteins in the vegetable world; even soy is light on methionine.  Oh, one other thing in animal food, a big thing -- B12, another nutrient not found much in the plant world.   I'm not saying that the blood type diet is accurate, but there is some sense to it.  For example, after the development of agriculture, people largely stopped eating much meat, and that's when the A bloodtype developed.  B blood type evolved with nomads.  AB is the newest, it's evolving with us now.  So there is something to it, but not as much as claimed.
Wow....I didn't know that about blood types.  I thought they were always there when people first appeared and that variations in breeding brought about different combinations.   Thanks for sharing ....will have to read a bit more about it.  I knew a little about the diets and how they affect different blood types.

I am eating more and more nuts/salads/fruits and finding I am feeling healthier than ever before along with the stretches/exercise I do daily.  I used to eat a lot of meat (red) and my sister told me the negative stuff on it so I thought I should reduce the amount I was eating (over eating).

D.
It's good to learn about this stuff, but the blood type diet is way oversold.  It teaches some very interesting things and gives people ideas why certain foods might not agree with them, but I think the guy just takes it way too far.  He's still generalizing way too much.  But it's good to add it to our understanding of food, something we know so little about it's scary.
Have you tried Ostrich? tastes like beef to me and it's lean. Bison and Buffalo are lean.
http://rawsangha.com/2011/04/13/raw-sangha-154-meat-glue-a-k-a-transglutaminase/

The saddest part of this entire story is that there is no regulation for using these products in the United States. So if you’re a meat eater chances are you’ve already ingested meat glue and didn’t have any opportunity to decline. In the European Union this product has been banned from use along with genetically modified foods in most places, I wonder why it’s taking the United States so long to catch up. I have a guess and it rhymes with money!