Nutrition Expert Forum
Blending nutritional meals

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Blending nutritional meals

I need to blend all my meals and try to keep my diet at the RDA% for recommended protein, fats and carbohydrates, but it seems I need to consume over 3,000 calories a day just to maintain my weight. That causes me to make thicker than normal blends to keep the volume down to a manageable size for each meal. My blends are as thick as a McDonalds shake which I continue to add liquid to so that I can push bolus feed it through a PEG G tube. However I have to remove the Y-Port adapter even then to get the blend to move through the tube. Making the blend where it can be pushed bolus feed or gravity feed through the tube means adding substantial volume, way too much to take at one sitting. Is there any special secret to a lower volume higher calorie blend, or can I blend something different to allow me to maintain my weight on a lower calorie diet so I can thin down my blends and still keep the volume manageable 24 to a maximin 32 oz of blend per meal. Ron
Tags: npo
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5ft 11 1/2 inches
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
184.5 lbs
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
61
There are tube feed formulas that have the right consistency and are high calorie. Using tube feed formulas would be easier to administer and you would not have to prepare it. Suggest you see a Registered Dietitian to help determine the type of formula and the amount you would need daily to maintain your weight. You can find a Dietitian in your area if you go to Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at eatright.org. Hoped this helped you.