Nutrition Community
Can low Folic Acid levels raise ALT levels in the blood?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can low Folic Acid levels raise ALT levels in the blood?

Recently, I did full blood screening and found out that my ALT reading kind of high :
SGOT/AST : 39 U/L (8-37)
SGPT/ALT : 95 U/L (5-44)

No Hepatitis A, B & C.

Can low folic acid levels raise ALT levels in the blood?
http://www.raysahelian.com/alt.html

Can a healthy normal person consume Folic Acid a supplement daily?

Pls advice.
Hi there,
The commonest cause of elevated ALT is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease which is common in people who are obese, in diabetics and those with hypercholesterolemia. Folic acid deficiency can cause diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, weakness, headaches, a sore tongue, heart palpitations, irritability and memory problems and increased risk of cardiovascular disease. There are few studies which do say that folic acid deficiency can give rise to raised ALT.It is important to evaluate a person and all symptoms, sign, physical exam, medical history, results of other tests, etc before arriving at   any diagnosis and starting treatment. Do consult your doctor before starting folic acid. At the meantime you may try reducing weight if you are overweight. Adopt lifestyle changes like include exercise in your daily regime and avoid fried fatty foods. Follow up with your doctor regarding repeat ALT testing. Write to me again.
Best luck and regards!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Nutrition Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank