Nutrition Community
Coffee...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Coffee...

Okay i know caffeine dehydrates you to a certain extent and coffee and tea are both diaretics.. but i read recently that high intakes of caffeine helps you lose weight? I also read some figure of dubious reliability saying it increases your metabolic rate by 105%

I dont want to lose weight i am very very thin, im ectomorphic and i can lose 6 pounds over 24 hours because my thyroid doesnt work properly.

So i guess im asking is drinking a lot of coffee really making things much worse? Or would i notice a difference in weight if i laxed a bit on it?
  • Coffee and diet (6 replies):
    Sometimes I feel like a little something to eat will giv...[more]
  • CELLULITE!! (11 replies):
    I hate it! Anyone know how to get rid of it without any ...[more]
  • Hungry (4 replies):
    I started the program 3 days ago. Day 1 and Day 2 were ...[more]
  • Coffee (4 replies):
    Hi there, I provide some basic advice on other forums, b...[more]
  • NHW vs Simeons/Trudeau (2 replies):
    I am on day three of the HCG diet thru Natural Healing ...[more]
It's the speed that causes the weight loss -- any speed will do that, including caffeine.  I don't think either coffee or green tea is a strong diuretic, especially considering they're both mostly water in the form we take them in, and that in much of the world tea is drunk much more than plain water and the people aren't dehydrated.  The question would be how much coffee you drink; generally, for weight loss, people take stronger doses of caffeine than what's found in coffee or tea.  But for you, it might be enough.  The worst thing about coffee is it leaches out some nutrients, including calcium.  It's a detox agent, and in natural healing is often used as an enema for that purpose, and so it takes out some beneficial nutrients as it passes through the system.  Nobody ever said it was good for you, it's just a delivery mechanism for speed.  Green and white tea, on  the other hand, are quite good for you, loaded with antioxidants, and so if you need your caffeine fix are a much better source.