Nutrition Expert Forum
Comet Cleanser

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Comet Cleanser
Since the age of 13, I've been addicted to eating comet cleanser, so for about 18 years off and on. I was wondering if you could tell me, what it's possibly doing to my insides? I know I need to get help, but it's so hard, I'm also anemic and I eat tray after tray of ice...
There is an eating disorder called 'Pica' which children and adults eat non-food objects. Pica occurs more frequently with children. The causes of Pica are unknown, however, certain situations may increase the risk to it such as nutritional deficiencies of iron or zinc (the nonfood items craved usually do not supple the minerals lacking in the body), malnutrition (seen in underdeveloped countries where people will eat clay or soil), development problems (mental disabilities, and autism) and mental health conditions (obsessive-compulsive disorder and schizophrenia). Consumption of some non-food object may be harmless, however, Pica is considered a serious eating disorder that may result in serious health issues such as lead poisoning and iron deficiency anemia. I am not saying you have Pica, but I do suggest you go to your MD and get checked.
I know a little something about Pica, I think it's related to Pica because I know that when I take my iron tablets and vitamins like I'm supposed to, which is daily, then the cravings for comet cleanser start to wear off. I started taking my iron tablets today, and I just need to stick with it this time...but thank you for responding to my question...
Glad to see you are taking your supplements. Recommend you go and get some help, too. With this disorder you need more then yourself to combat it. Best of luck.
I CONSUME LARGE AMOUNTS OF COMET AND THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON 8YEARS AND I TRY TO STP BUT I CANT I REALLY NEED HELP BUT I WANT TO KNOW THE MEDICAL EFFECTS OF THIS ADDICTION
Please ask your question separately in the forum. Thank you.
A related discussion, Could craving for smell of comet be related to plasma donation was started.