Nutrition Expert Forum
Cooking with olive oil

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Cooking with olive oil
Hi there,

I had early stage pre-menopausal breast cancer (hormone positive).  I always hear of all the positive effects on your heart with olive oil.  I have also heard heard it is good for preventative cancer nutrition.  Rumors were circulating that olive oil loses it's healthy configuration at high temperatures and is actually a carcinogen then.   Can you shed some light on this and the best way to keep it's nutritional content.  Thanks!
Any oils heated at very high temperatures may cause it to break down. Some oils can withstand higher temperatures then others and the oils that can are the oils we should not be eating, saturated fat oils. That is one of the reasons it is recommended not to eat fried foods plus when deep frying foods the oils go into the food and you have additional calories from the oil. Use olive oil in salad dressing and cooking at lower temperatures, not frying. Hope that helped you.