Nutrition Community
Cravings/PICA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Cravings/PICA

Hello, for about 7 years I have been craving and eating petroleum jelly. At my worst, I would consume one of the HUGE containers of Vaseline every two days. I notice that I would turn to Vaseline when I was stressed and it would calm me down. I also started brushing my teeth with baking soda about 4 years ago and could not get enough of the taste, so I would fill my entire mouth with baking soda and chew it for a few minutes then spit it out. At times I would chew it so often that my tongue would start to bleed. I used to go through a 32 oz box in two days. A couple of years ago I would also put Noxema in my mouth, chew it for a few minutes, then spit it out. I would mix it with baking soda then let it sit out so it became hard. I LOVED the smell, taste and texture. Well, I have now tasted WD40. It started out with spraying my baking soda with it, then brushing my teeth and spitting it out. I sprayed some in my mouth and swallowed a tiny bit - it tasted so good as it provides that oily chemical-like taste. I will now spray my mouth for a few seconds then swallow it - seriously, it's like I'm in heaven. If I could do it without getting sick, I would subsist on Vaseline and WD40. About 11 years ago I had gastric bypass surgery and my body has been of of wack ever since. I've had two blood transfusions since, both 6 units each time. First time was 6 years ago during my last pregnancy, and I had one in 2/12. I've been severely anemic, had a lot of surgeries, c sections, and my body has never been the same. Please advise on some more appropriate substitutes as these cravings are so strong that I can't stop thinking about these items until I put some in my mouth and either ingest it, or swish it around and spit it out.
There are two kinds of cravings like this -- the purely obsessive ones, and the ones that indicate a lack of some nutrient you're trying to find.  Have no idea which it is, but bloodwork might show a nutrient deficiency and a psychologist is for the other possibility.  
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
May 25
CamLp uploaded new photos
May 24
Best Multivitamins for Men
May 24 by gymdandee
Track your weight over time