Cravings/PICA
Hello, for about 7 years I have been craving and eating petroleum jelly. At my worst, I would consume one of the HUGE containers of Vaseline every two days. I notice that I would turn to Vaseline when I was stressed and it would calm me down. I also started brushing my teeth with baking soda about 4 years ago and could not get enough of the taste, so I would fill my entire mouth with baking soda and chew it for a few minutes then spit it out. At times I would chew it so often that my tongue would start to bleed. I used to go through a 32 oz box in two days. A couple of years ago I would also put Noxema in my mouth, chew it for a few minutes, then spit it out. I would mix it with baking soda then let it sit out so it became hard. I LOVED the smell, taste and texture. Well, I have now tasted WD40. It started out with spraying my baking soda with it, then brushing my teeth and spitting it out. I sprayed some in my mouth and swallowed a tiny bit - it tasted so good as it provides that oily chemical-like taste. I will now spray my mouth for a few seconds then swallow it - seriously, it's like I'm in heaven. If I could do it without getting sick, I would subsist on Vaseline and WD40. About 11 years ago I had gastric bypass surgery and my body has been of of wack ever since. I've had two blood transfusions since, both 6 units each time. First time was 6 years ago during my last pregnancy, and I had one in 2/12. I've been severely anemic, had a lot of surgeries, c sections, and my body has never been the same. Please advise on some more appropriate substitutes as these cravings are so strong that I can't stop thinking about these items until I put some in my mouth and either ingest it, or swish it around and spit it out.
There are two kinds of cravings like this -- the purely obsessive ones, and the ones that indicate a lack of some nutrient you're trying to find.  Have no idea which it is, but bloodwork might show a nutrient deficiency and a psychologist is for the other possibility.