Nutrition Community
Cravings

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Cravings

Here lately I have been having cravings for dirt!!!  I know that sounds weird but I actually want to eat dirt.  Just the smell of dirt.  I was wondering if this is my body needing some kind of vitamin?  Also, along with these weird cravings, (not pregnant, had a tubal in 1991) I have been having broken blood vessels in my fingers.  Just the least amount of pressure and it ruptures blood vessels in my fingers?  Can anyone please advise on this?  Just curious if this has happened to anyone else?
What you have is a condition called pica or the craving for non edible items like paint chips or dirt.  I would suggest googling the term pica to find some more info on it.
Just to add one more thing there is some evidence that there may be a nutrtional defencicy it isn't known if the pica causes the defenciy or the defenciy causes the pica.

In any case go to your doctor as soon as possible because if you start eating dirt or clay you may develope severe GI symptoms and condtions and the consumption of paint may lead to lead poisoning.
Wow, I just posted here about the similar feelings I get when I encounter airborne concrete dust!  It's MADDENING, I feel like could eat my own tongue.  It's the weirdest thing.  Glad I'm not alone...I think it has to be mineral deficiency.

Do you have a special diet or specifically avoid some foods?  I haven't eaten red meat in ten years, and I have a feeling this could be the cause of my weird concrete/metal craving...
I sure would like to know more about your broken blood vessels in your fingers.  I have some tick-borne ilnesses and have recently been breaking blood vessels in my hands and fingers on a daily basis.  I can pick up a glass and break one.  It doesn't take much pressure to break them and just normal usage causes them for me.  It's crazy!  I do hope that someone else knows what causes this.  I believe that I also have something going on with my red blood cells due to one of the co-infections I have.  I hope someone else has some ideas!
I crave ice very bad. I eat about 3 tray fulls of ice during the day. I sometimes eat so much of it I get full and eat nothing but that rather than food. Any comments?
I have had the craving of dirt for years....it started as a child. Finally I went to a homiapathic Dr and he told me it was ok to eat dirt just send it through the microwave before you eat it.
I know it sounds strange, but I have heard craving ice is a symptom of anemia.  Look up, "symptoms of anemia" or "chewing ice and anemia" on google to find out more.  
I feel to ashamed to tell anyone i like to eat dirt,like the buildup on cars i like the taste and the gritty feeling on my teeth. i want help i need help
Wow I thought theses things happened because u were crazy!pheu! I have always had craving for paper and string I don't know why but wen I feel like they are ready to swallow I remember what I'm doing a spit it out. Its so weird itjust the satisfaction of the string slipping on my tounge but what is the weirdest thing is that I just can't stop and know it like a habbit and my only cure is gum or water or any thing that resembles what I want hope my experience helps