Nutrition Community
Dairy products and arthritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Dairy products and arthritis

I have been reading conflicting information that dairy products contribute to arthritis. Does anyone have a good research source on this?
I believe that cow milk is bad for you unless it is organic
I believe all milk and dairy (except for organic yogurt that has live active cultures) is bad for you, unless it is raw, grass fed, organic dairy.
If you need calcium, almonds are a great sourse, almond milk is good and almond cheese. My children DON'T get milk products, they like almond milk and it is a GREAT source for calcium and they also take a great organic vit.
That is an interesting question. The general conclusion of many is that milk is inappropriate. The catch is you require calcium and vitamin D to utilize the calcium. Milk products should be minimized for adults, according to many naturopathic physicians. On the other hand my little 102 year old al loves milk and I hate to deprive her. You have to avoid nightshaes at all costs. Nightshades include eggplants tomatoes and potatoes, but primarily the skins. Mother nature developed powerful natural insecticides to kill insiects that try to burrow into the night-shade family. These are all powerful inflammatory agents. That is why in many recipes the tomatoes are always skinned before making the sauce. Tomatos several centuries ago had higher quantities of these inflamatories than the modern tomato. They have been "bred out". Incidentally, potato skins cause birth defects. On a farm, if you feed livestock potato skins, particuliarly sheep, this can result in the deformity known as "sheeps eye".
A friend of mine doesn't take milk but she still get arthritis.
Milk and calcium supplements actually have a net effect of calcium leaving your bones!

The latest research shows that you need more magnesium than calcium in your diet, and you need enough Vitamin D in your body for calcium homeostasis to be maintained.

Google it!

PS- Dairy makes my bones hurt really bad, and I am currently diagnosed as Vitamin D deficient and supplementing D3 4400IU daily + 200-400mg magnesium.