Nutrition Community
Diet after Gall Bladder Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Diet after Gall Bladder Surgery

Hi ,

I was told to keep a low fat diet after gall bladder surgery .
But i understood it is essential to have essential fats to maintain brain health and cardiovascular health .

Can anybody recommend what should be done
There are good fats and bad fats, it is the bad fats they are telling you to avoid. We all need the essential fatty acids to stay healthy, and oils that are high in Omega 3 oils, we get enough Omega 6 oils in our diets. The omega 3 is best obtained from fish, and I take a fish oil supplement for my heart and general brain health, it is in liquid form and not too bad once you get used to it. Flax seed oil is another good oil, it sort of has a "nutty" taste. The fats that are best to cut back on are those that are in dairy products and the red meats, actually, they are not that great for anyone. Eat lots of fresh veggies and fruit, fish and chicken, drink lots of water, avoid the sodas, they can play havoc with a post gall bladder surgery patient.

Hope this help, moderation is the key here. I bet also, if you do a google search on a gall bladder diet, you might find some more help.