Nutrition Community
Fatty Liver

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Fatty Liver

For about two years I have struggled with a strong case of health anxiety. I got a degree in rehabilitation and sometimes the classes we take tend to inform you about all the bad diseases that can plague your body. I tend to worry about this a lot. Last July while in NYC after eating a greasy meal I got a bad pain on the right upper quadrant of my stomach. My PCP thought it was gallstones so he had an ultrasound of my abdomen ordered.

In turn the technician who completely violated his duties went on to tell me the results and that in fact I did NOT have gallstones but a swollen liver and that I should go to the doctor immediately. Mind you this was on a Saturday. I was frantic, afraid and uneasy. When I got to my doctor on Monday he told me it was just fatty liver. The actual Recommendations from the ultrasound said, "Fatty liver with prominent portal triad markings...hepatitis possible, clinical correlation recommended" Of course with the knowledge I had my health anxiety began to sky rocket. My doctor said just to diet and all would be ok.

The hepatitis aspect of it frightens me horribly. I do have 3 small tattoos that I got in my college years. The last about 4 years ago. I began thinking maybe it was hepatitis. Since August and even before then my doctor has ran tons of blood tests. CBC, platelets, hepatic panel, etc. The rational mind would say they would have caught hepatitis by now but the anxious side of me says that maybe they missed something. Is this possible? Is it possible that they could have done sooooo many blood tests and missed hepatitis? If it was Hep C would I be showing symptoms already? (jaundice, etc) I am so worried. I am only 24 and don't have time to be worried about health issues. Just finished school and at the top of my career. I would appreciate some sincere help. Maybe somebody can interpret those ultrasound results better for me.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Also, I have been on birth control pills for 10 years now could that be correlated to the fatty liver. I had heard about this before. I have STOPPED taking them, begin working out and eating better and am wondering if that was the cause how long before my liver begins to heal.

I am 24, about 5'2 and weight 157lbs overweight I know but I thought my liver would be doing better
Hi!
Liver problems including hepatitis are easily detected by an ultrasound scan and liver enzymes (which are raised). Hepatitis can result in fatty liver, but usually fatty liver is associated with fat rich diet, drinking alcohol, diabetes, obesity and dyslipidemias (high cholesterol and triglycerides). The good thing is that it responds to diet control and exercise. Also, yes, inflammatory bowel disease (which also causes lot of gas and stool problems) can also cause fatty liver. So, since you have had so many tests, chances of hepatitis are pretty less. If you are otherwise healthy, just watch your diet on most days, exercise daily and you should be fine. If you have stopped the contraceptive pills, please consult your gynecologist for alternative contraceptive method. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Madam
I'm Mrs. Swarna Arun. Its been 2 years since i got married and we are planning for pregnancy rite now. I got my periods delayed by 14 days and I took a home pregnancy test which was negative. Post that I took an ultrasound scan which is also negative.
My problem is...
On diagnosis I have a gallstone of 1.9 x .48 cm size. Also I have a fatty liver. I have 2 questions.
1. Will these affect chance of pregnancy.?
2. How to take care of fatty liver. Any diet or food habit to be changed.?

N.B I weigh 98 kgs and I am 27 yrs old. Non vegetarian