Nutrition Community
Feeling flushed after eating.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Feeling flushed after eating.

I'm going to be direct so you can understand me a great deal.

Most of the time, I don't eat. Sometimes I go hours or days without food. Which happens to be a problem to others. I fast sometimes, depending on my mood or not.

When I don't eat, I get lightheaded and have to slowly get up so I won't feel dizzy. Sometimes I feel like passing out and my face feels completely hot. The room also spins fast.

I didn't eat anything all day but one bowl of cereal. Which was about 110 calories. I don't go over 500 at the most. I know you need about 1750 but I won't go that high. Once I ate the bowl I got completely sick. The room started spin and I felt like puking. Which I have been told from others that I have an ED because I do try to make myself puke.  

I tried to eat something else because I didn't have anything to eat for a good 14 hours. I got the sick feeling again. But I also smoke, which I don't know if that is causing it or not. It's only when I eat something. And it can be fruit or something like a bowl of cereal to chicken.

Is this normal or not?
sounds like a stomach problem
You need to seek help with this. You definately should not be experiencing things like this. Smoking definately does not help. Your body is not getting enough nutrients to function correctly. Please go see a doctor.
This is going to be hard. You have an eating disorder. It is not a stomach problem. When you deprive your body of food and nutrients for extended periods of time, your body has to readjust to getting nourishment (which is why you got sick without making yourself purge). Not to mention that by eating cereal, you were only putting carbs and sugar, not substance, into your body. By eating 500c/day (as opposed to the recommended 2000c/day) you are depriving your body of essential vitamins, minerals, energy, proteins... the things you need to live.

This is not "normal". But it is a very common unhealthy coping mechanism. A lot of people do exactly what you are doing and don't realize that they have an eating disorder. You don't have to make yourself throw up to have an eating disorder, you also don't have to only fast. Many people with eating disorders have Eating Disorder NOS, which indicates that the person goes through periods of fasting, binging, and purging.

I'd encourage you, with all sincerity and seriousness, to find a nutritionist and a psychiatrist. Keep an open mind and feel better.