Nutrition Expert Forum
Fish skin - eat or not?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fish skin - eat or not?

I did a research that found there are two types of answers:
1) the fish skin is healthy as it contains omega-3 fatty acid.
2) the fish skin is not healthy as it absorbs all the pollutants in the sea.
I am confused and I wanted to know an answers from the experts. Thanks.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
Related Discussions
267079_tn?1195146570
It is not only the skin but the meat as well of the fish that are healthy because fish is a great source of protein, low fat meat, and contains omega 3 fatty acids. It is recommended that fatty fish are eaten twice a week like lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna (chunk light tuna), and salmon which are high in 2 types of omega-3 fatty acids – EPA & DHA. There are concerns of mercury levels in fish. All fish hold in their fatty tissues mercury, however, some have more than others. It is highly recommended that pregnant and breast feeding women and children do not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish due to these fish having the most amount of mercury in their bodies; and to consume 2 times weekly fish/shellfish with the lowest mercury levels are shrimp, canned light chucked tuna (canned white tuna- only once a week), Pollack, and catfish. For the adults use caution with eating the high mercury fish and eat as recommended the fish as above (in both areas mentioned) twice a week for the benefit of good health.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank