Nutrition Community
Five year old son will not stop eating.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Five year old son will not stop eating.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a child who talks about food 24/7, steals food, eats too fast, and eats out of the trash can?  My son is five years old and weighs 47 pounds and is 45" tall.  He currently eats three meals a day and he gets two snacks sent to school with him.  We feed him organic, soy, and healthy food.  He doesn't have fruit snacks, ice cream, soda except maybe once a month.  When he was in pre-school we learned that they were giving him thirds and fourths because he said he was hungry.  Then when he started kindergarten, we were sending him with lunch and two snacks.  However, he would eat breakfast at home, get breakfast at school, steal other people's snacks, eat out of the trash can or off the ground, eat two lunches, etc.  He went to the doctor and they can't pinpoint what may be causing this.  He is currently on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist.  If he sees someone with food he will just stare at them.  He is very intelligent, receives a lot of attention, and plays sports.  After two months in kindergarten he had gained 12 pounds.  The school has helped in watching him more and making sure he is not given breakfast.  He still continues to ask other kids for their snacks at school.  I am at a loss at what to do.  He has since lost the weight he gained in those first two months of kindergarten because the doctor wanted him on a low fat diet at school and for the school to have someone sit with him during meals.  Now when he is with his grandparents, they over feed him.  He has thrown up from eating too much and gets very lethargic.  His most fond memories are around food, what we should have for the next holiday, etc.  Does anyone have any other advice?  Thanks for your time in advance.
My daughter's son is like this.  He is 7 and is hungry all the time.  A nutrition specialist in our area recommended giving him coconut oil and it fixed him.  He ate it on toast, mixed in yogurt, etc. but it is expensive so she stopped giving it to him and he got hungry again.  She is trying other saturated fats right now but may go back to the coconut oil.  She also feeds her kids very healthily.  You can get coconut oil at any healthfood store.  Hope it helps!
Care_at_home
Thank you for the response and idea of coconut oil.  I will check out the local healthfood store where we shop, to see if they carry it.  He actually had a really bad week at school with getting caught asking others for food, etc.  He talked about it all day long this past weekend.  If you have any other tips or ideas, let me know.  Thanks again.