Nutrition Expert Forum
Gluten Free and Vitamin Deficiency

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Gluten Free and Vitamin Deficiency
I have a question ... Recently I had a DNA test done for Celiac / Gluten Intolerance (because blood tests were repeatedly negative, but my symptoms heavily correspond with a digestion problem). The DNA test revealed that I have 2 genes positive for Gluten Intolerance. Is this test significant enough that I should begin eating Gluten Free, since I have an ongoing digestion problem and a terrible, chronic skin rash? If so, can going Gluten Free cause a Vitamin B Deficiency from the removal of the fortified wheat?  Or what ideas do you have or what should I do?  And, how long, if you recommend Gluten Free eating, will it be before I see improvement, especially in my skin?
To properly be diagnosed for Celiac disease your doctor will do antibody blood tests to detect antitissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTGA) or anti-endomysium antibodies (EMA). If the tests are positive, an upper endoscopy is performed with a biopsy from the first part of the small intestine.  The biopsy may reveal  a flattening of the villi in the parts of the intestine which is Celiac disease. Celiac disease affects the "villi" on the small intestine walls. The villi are small finger shaped projections on the intestine walls to increase absorption of nutrients into our body. The villi become shortened from intake of gluten. Celiac disease cannot be cured and a gluten-free diet is the treatment. Gluten is in numerous products that are not "starches" because wheat is used as a thickener. Food labels have to be read for ALL products regardless if you think it does not have wheat in it or not. www.celiac.org is an excellent resource for information of the disease and food products with gluten. Vitamin Bs are in other food sources besides wheat products so supplementation is not always needed. Hoped this helped you.