Nutrition Expert Forum
Hair Loss/Thinning

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Hair Loss/Thinning

I was wondering if genetic alopecia is the only cause for the shrinking of hair follicles or if being malnourished can also cause your hair follicles to shrink? I understand that being anemic and having other deficiencies can cause hair *loss*, but I want to know specifically if they contribute to the follicle shrinking, in a manner similar to pattern baldness.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
If a person is malnourished, their hair may fall out due to lack of protein. Baldness mainly occurs genetically and as most people age their hair does thin, some more than others. Hoped that answered your question.