Nutrition Expert Forum
Have been dieting and excersising for a month and...nothing!

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

I have started a weight loss diet and daily excersise for a month and a half now. The problem is that even with a calorie intake between 900-1100 kalories and almost daily high intensity aerobic excersise for at least 30 minutes i have dropped only one kilogram. I cannot understand why, though. In older attempts i would lose up to 1 kilogram per week! My metabolism should be racing, since i eat every three hours, i eat healthy meals, i keep a low fat intake, i drink green tea, i don't eat more than three candies per week (and even those are low in calories.) This time i am not in a "diet" i decided i want to change my eating habits and excersising for ever, but i can't help but feel rather disappointed.

I can't understand what is wrong. What am i doing wrong? What has changed from six months ago? What could i do?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
1.67 meters
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
69 kg
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
21
Measure your waist and hips as a guide for trimming down. As we exercise we build lean body muscle mass which weight more than fat so the scale reflects no weight loss when in fact the body is trimming down fat. The tape measure will measure loss of inches and your clothes will start to feel looser. Suggest you try different exercise methods along with what you are presently doing to help lose weight. Have you tried yoga? It is exercise that tightens the muscle from within slowly. The muscles are stretched by the positions and the whole body is work-out. The positions do not have to be difficult. Your muscle does not 'build' up as if you were working with weights, however, the muscles are strengthened and you do slim down. Hoped this helped you.
Dear mirafps, don't give up. As we get older it takes longer and if you have not exericised much before your body first needs to get good at losing fat again. Also keep in mind it is not all about weight loss. You will also be building muscle (mass=weight) so that will offset the loss in fat. 1kg is ok, keep going.. I am sure the rate of weight loss will accelerate. I do recommend losing fat by doing weighst because it is a more effective and sustainable way of losing fat (you burn fat while you recover / in your sleep ;-)) good luck
Is there a good naturopath/nutritionist in your area that can do a body composition analysis? In my clinic we look at your muscle mass (arms, legs, torso), fat mass (arms, legs, torso) and monitor these. Also, with diet, as oppose to caloric intake, it's more about nutritionally dense food. Eating for health as oppose to eating for calories. Also, ruling out underlying metabolic issues (thyroid) that could be preventing weight loss. Emotional health is also important- healthy relationship with food, etc...