Nutrition Expert Forum
Help - Vitamin Balance

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Help - Vitamin Balance

Hi - I have a very low viatmin D level (4) and have done for many years, although my calcium level is fine (near the high end of normal) and a bone profile blood test result showed no abnormalties. Recently I had a general blood test and my Phosphate level came back slightly lower than it should.

I'm concerned if i take the 1000IU spary under the tongue dose of Vit 3 my doctor has recommended that I will be affecting my levels of calcium/phosphate and especially magnesium in ways i/my doctor cant predict. He says not to take any extra calcium but doesnt seem to know about Magnesium in relation to Vit D and hasnt mentioned the Phosphate level as anythiung to worry about.

Is it right to take it? I am very fair skinned and can't sunbathe but do get 20 minutes a day outside during the summer - I live in England so our winters are not very bright. I have no major illnesses.

Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'5
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
147lb
Insufficiency of vitamin D may cause symptoms, such as bone loss occurs and osteomalacia in adults. Impaired Calcium absorption occurs due to very low levels of the vitamin D. Magnesium (Mg) works with Calcium and there are no issues unless there is Mg depletion due to disease factors or high doses of calcium intake of individuals with poor renal function. Suggest getting your Mg level checked, however, if it is normal suggest not taking supplements due to risk of toxicity. The causes of Vitamin D deficiency could be lack of sunlight, decreased food sources of vitamin D, renal or liver failure, hypoparathyroidism, gastrectomy, and medications (such as anticonvulsants, corticosteroids). Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, fish oils, and the sun. Vitamin D rich foods are also good sources of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Sitting by a window, in the sun will not give you the amounts of vitamin D you need as if you were in the sun without the window, however, the combination of eating Vitamin D rich foods and sitting by a window (helps a little) will give you the Vitamin D your body needs. People who do not get outside or unable to go outdoors, a sunny window is the next best thing for them. It is better than not at all. Hoped that answered your question.