Nutrition Expert Forum
High B12 Blood Result & Low Methylmalonic Serum

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Does anyone know how you can have a high vitamin B12 blood result and a low Methylmalonic Acid Serum result? I tried to look them up on the internet and am totally confused. When I type them in they are both vitamin B12 and all the results are for being the other way around (low B12 and high Methylmalonic Acid. What if anything does this mean? I am still waiting for a bunch of blood results to come back and don't see the doctor for 2 or 3 weeks.
  Thanks for any help in explaining this to me.

Erin :)
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5' 7"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
145
Methylmalonic Acid Serum test is being used because it is higher sensitive method to screen Vitamin B12 deficiency then just using Vitamin B12 level alone. In our bodies, Methylmalonic Acid is converted to CoA using Vitamin B12 as a cofactor, so if there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 there will be an increase of Methylmalonic Acid Serum. The normal lab value ratio would be high Vitamin B12 to low Methylmalonic Acid Serum. Hoped that helped you.
Erin,
I feel like I'm repeating myself because I am , I tell everyone   .....

check out labtestsonline.org for understanding your labs.  Plus they have an ask an expert link and they really do answer your questions.  This is a wonderful site to take the mystery out of thos numbers.

my best,
Lu
Lu,

Thank you so much for the website. I checked it out last night because I couldn't sleep and it was fantastic!!! Even I could understand and it was easy to navigate, lol.

Thanks again for repeating yourself and turning me on to this website.

Take care

Hugs,
  Erin :)