Nutrition Community
High B12 level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

High B12 level

I am an active 69 year old female. Recent bloodwork revealed a B12 level of 1694 and a folic acid level of 20.My  homocysteine level is 10.7.
    My internist has no explanation for the high B12 level and does not seem concerned.I am.Do you have an explanation?
     Thank you.

I'm not a doc or medical researcher, but the only concern I have ever come across in respect to there being any type of danger relating to a high B12 level might involve an opinion by a limited few that it may put one at slightly higher risk for developing certain leukemias. However, there is great debate when it comes to that argument, and there isn't a great deal of evidence to prove the theory at this point, not whatsoever.

If you're taking a multi vitamin, that's likely the cause of your high B12 level. I had one come back at nearly 1900. A family member's was at 1600. After quitting the Centrum for just two weeks, a follow up test had her level back down to just under 800.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, although, like you, I'm probably one of those people that like to know that my vitamin levels are sitting right where they need to be, too-not too high, not too low.
Dear Fulmegavin,
  Thank you for your comments.
  I am, indeed, a "need to know" person.
    Avoir
According to a book by Kilmer and Martha McCully (Heart Revolution) there is no danger posed by excessive vitamin B12.  Furthermore, the information in their book should help you to discern whether your homocysteine level is too high, which if it is, would require additional B6 supplementation.
That's a good point. Pyridoxine and Metafolin (Co-enzymated Folic Acid) contribute to maintaining the B12 level.
I have a B12 of 1600. I was taking daily shots for treatment of menopause symptoms.
I have stopped the treatments and have gone to once monthly.
However, I am very fatigued and would like to take my Floradix Iron and herbs but it contains B12. I don't know what to do?
Hi, I had a high B12 level and then was told my PA to stop taking every vitamin and come in a get blood tested again. I crashed and went to the ER and they diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism. My TSH level was 5 times the normal rate. I'm on Synthroid (been a month) and still haven't taken any vitamins. I plan to. I also have had bad insomnia. Hope that helps!
Hi i just got my lab results and i am so worried my B12 is 1700.and my thyroid is in reange.i am taking vitamins and i injected myself vitamin B12 cus i have been feeling very dizzy and weak.my results also say that i have high CPR my tri's are hight too i am so stressed out also my RWD is high i dont know my doc has not gotten back to me .Any advice help.
high B-12 is good usually, and the older one is, if their level is lower, that
can lead to dementia that is often misdiagnosed as other ailments.
my B-12 is over 1750, no big deal.  as long as you ingest a decent amount of
folate in either food or supplements or both.  

frootbar C.N.
I too have been concerned with my B12 levels and was very low (below 150). My doctor started me on monthly injections and now I am at 2000. My TSH is .20 but my T4 is 1.08. I am always tired and have major soreness throughout my body. I'm afraid that if I stop taking the B12 injections that I will crash and burn. I've had major ulcer issues and have recently been told I have Barretts. Could this all be related or am I just sad to say: GETTING OLD?
I  HAVE HIGH b-12 LEVELS AND LOW IRON LEVELS IAM VERY TIRED AND HAVE A LOT OF LEG CRAMPS SO SEVERE THAT I FALL MY DOCTOR DOES NOT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG. I HAVE SEEN A HEMOTOLIST  AND SAID NO BLOOD DISEASES. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY OF THESE SYMPTONS ?
B-12 is better high than low. What your body does not need, it excretes in the urine. The original posters homeocysteine level was very high, that would worry me, it should be no higher than 6, a high homeocysteine level is not healthy for the heart, and the vitamin B-12, along with Folic acid and B-6 are needed.

Trujillo~I would add more green, leafy veggies to your diet, this will help the iron level and also give you more energy.
For the leg cramps, I would add a good calcium/ magnesium supplement to your diet, make sure there is 1000 mg of calcium and 500 mg of magnesium, also, soak in a hot bath with a cup or two of Epsom salts, this should also help the cramps.
hello   my B12 level is over 2000 and I also have Crohn's disease and am on daily multivitamin plus folic acid. Could this be the cause of my high B12.  My other bloodwork is perfectly normal better than it has been in along time. Internist is not worried but I am concerned with high level.
I researched high B12 blood levels as mine is very high
There is no established UL for B12 as it has a very low potential for toxicity-IOM states -no-adverse side effects have been associated from food or supplements, in healthy individuals & recommends adults over 50 get B12 from supplements or fortified food as there is a high incidence of impaired absorption in this age group of B12 from foods that come from animals.
-source : http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminB12_pf.asp (7 pages!)

I can't help but wonder if the blood level is high as it is not being used by the body.
I have been taking Salmon oil capsules to get the Omega oils & my practitioner has suggested that I reduce these capsules from 2 to 2 per day & I will have blood re- checked.
have recently found that low magnesium levels can be the cause of leg cramps as the ratio of it to calcim should be higher than it is in many Supps.& low magnesium can also contribute to osteoporosis. Ther is a lot of info out there. Do not have source of my research but can look it up later Will be away for a week
my 15 year old daughter has very high level of b12 (2300) all bloodwork is better then normal, she take no vitamins at all, but to me she complains about tingling and some dizziness sounds like anaemia any thoughts, we have seen about 4 doctors last resort is a bone marrow test.
Just wandering if 950 was high for b 12, of course I looked on internet and freaked myself out.  Trying not to obsess about it until Wednesday when I see doctor.  I have hypothyroid and it is high right now too, 7, and may have Celiacs, not sure but I see how gluten affects me.  I have every symptom of b12 defficiancy so that is confusing.  Tingling and etc.  I thought for sure I would show a lack of B 12, I am taking a supplement, just over 100mg a day, plus i get plenty in my food and I do eat seaweed occassionaly.  Anyway any insight?
Interesting!  I have high B12 levels, low iron, and am constantly tired.  My sister and mom were both diagnosed with hypothyroid but my hypothyroid tests have turned up negative.  I feel like I have all the symptoms for b12 deficiency too and yet my levels are so high.  It's weird that these sort of symptoms go with high b12 levels!
I was diagnosed with b12 anemia a year ago and my level was 210. They started me on shots once a week for a month and it was 410 and I was feeling much better.  Then my insurance dropped so I started taking the b12 pills, after I started taking them I started to get symptoms of b12 anemia back. I recently got insurance again and had bloodwork done. My bloodwork came back normal but my b12 was high above 2,000! I was always told that having a high b12 was not bad for you because any of it that your body doesnt use is passed through your urine. I am just confused as to why I also feel so tired all the time like I am still anemic. Does anyone knw if having high levels has the same symptoms as low levels?
Hello. I am 40yrs and have weird bi lateral debilitating joint pain in my knees, and wrists. Is so bad I can hardly walk or move my joints as it feels like they are torn, been hit with a hammer and dislocated! It often kins in from 9.30pm at night to 10.30am the next day, then 80% of the time during the day I am perfectly normal! I had scans done and bloody work and my B12 came in a at a high 1476, Zinc came in fairly high at 22, Vit D high at 219, Anti Thyroidal fairly high at 56 and my ANA Anti Nuclear Antibodies high at 1:640

Does anyone know if this is all auto immune inflammation related?

Thanks in advnce
Shannon
Please note that the phrase "there is no danger posed by excessive vitamin B12" refers to the INGESTION of B12, NOT the amount in your blood.

Conditions that can increase B12 levels include liver disease (such as cirrhosis or hepatitis)
and myeloproliferative disorders (for example, polycythemia vera and chronic myelocytic leukemia).
If you are on Synthroid that is the worst med for Hypo for you. You should switch to dessicated thyroid such as Armour Thyroid.  You are only getting T4 with what my support group calls Synthcrap.
You need T3 also.  
Go to ************************* and you will have a whole new world open up to you.  ANything you need to know about it and the adrenal glands you will have in front of you.
Research and read until you can't stand it anymore.  
Bek
I have a high vitamin B12 level (1250).  I have been diagnosed and treated for Hashimoto's (autoimmune) thyroiditis and vitamin D deficiency.  I have one copy of the Celiac gene, but tested negative for antibodies. I tested positive for previous Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), had abnormal adrenal/cortisol patterns, and low progesterone.  My remaining symptoms are insomnia (waking during the night), fatigue, difficulty remembering and concentrating, low body temperature, and low blood pressure.  
I read elsewhere that high vitamin B12 may be caused by overgrowth of intestinal bacteria which produces excessive B12 in the GI tract which is later absorbed in the large intestine.
I'm hearing a lot of other people with high B12 paired with thyroid problems.  I wonder if the high B12 is just a symptom of a problem caused by thyroid, adrenal, or celiac problems.  Or perhaps there is a pattern of problems that appear together?
My liver tests, CBC and TSH are all normal. I have a bit higher B12 of 1143 and do take a multivitamin along with a complex B which might mean I'm a bit zealous with the vitamins. I have celiac disease and because I went through many tests with low results, I went totally gluten free, loaded up on vitamins and now think I'm normal.
hi shanPeta
I have auto immune inflamatory disease and those are some of the symptoms that you would get with inflamation (inflammation).  It will only get worse if something is not done,  you need to get your C-reactive Protein tested and it should range under 5, if it is above 5 then there is inflamation (inflammation) present, you should also get your ""sedimentation rate tested, the range should be between 0-20 above 20 shows the presence of inflamation (inflammation).  I got so bad before then discovered what it was, I was confined to a wheelchair and could not pick up so much as a pencil, nothing worked and the pain was incredible.  hopefully you will get something done before it comes to that, the usual solution is Prednasone, a steroid, but it works well===good luck
patricia
"At least six neurological and psychiatric papers, in top medical journals, have shown that the normal range should be regarded as at least 500-1,300 pg/ml (rather than 200-1,100), since the cerebrospinal fluid level can be deficient when the serum level drops below 500, and neuropsychiatric symptoms often occur at serum levels between 200 and 500 pg/ml (VanTiggelen et al, Lindenbaum et al, Mitsuyama/Kogoh, Nijst et al, Ikeda et al, Regland)."

Excerpt from the article "Vitamin B12, signs, symptoms and optimal treatment" - John Dommisse MD.
Levels of serum vitamin B12 may be raised in:

* Frequent consumption of foods high in vitamin B12

* Vitamin B12 supplements/injections, B complex, or multivitamins

* Polycythaemia Rubra Vera  

* Leukaemia:
- Chronic myelogenous leukaemia aka chronic granulocytic leukaemia
- Acute myeloblastic leukaemia
- Acute promyelocytic leukaemia

* Hypereosinophilic syndrome

* Myelosclerosis

* Carcinomatosis

* Liver disease:
- Acute hepatitis
- Cirrhosis
- Chronic liver disease
- Hepatic coma

* Non-leukaemic leucocytosis

* Chloral Hydrate

* Lab error
Kidney disease has those symptoms, not to freak you out, but my mother had the same problem. Please get yourself checked!
Kidney disease has those symptoms, not to freak you out. http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Signs-your-Kidneys-May-be-Failing/
jUST WANT TO KNOW HOW YOUR DAUGHTER IS AND WHA WERE THE RESULTS AFTER AFTER THE BONE MARROW TESTING IS SHE ALRIGHT sINCE OF LATE i Have een researching aout  everything, y the way it is summer in australia and since the last three months m son has een having nose BLEEDS his 12 is 725 slightly high y 25 could this e the issue God less you all
hg
My blood test results indicated High B12, High RBC, Low RDW and High M Spike. I am kind of worried since my mom died of Multiple Myoloma.   Maybe I am freaking out because of that.

Hello
I've been diagnosed with Hashimotos, Vit D deficiency and High B12...Did you find out anything?
Another listed cause of high vitamin B12 serum is functional (active) vitamin B12 deficiency.

Excerpt from Chris Kresser's article: What Everyone (Especially Vegetarians) Should Know About B12 Deficiency:

"...be aware that a high serum B12 does not necessarily rule out functional/active B12 deficiency. In fact, I have come to view a high serum B12 in the absence of supplementation as a potential red flag for active B12 deficiency."

Excerpt from The New England Journal Of Medicine - Spurious Elevations of Vitamin B12 with Pernicious Anemia:

"Within a 3-week period, two women, 46 and 48 years of age, presented with peripheral neuropathy and associated pancytopenia with macrocytic anemia. Clinical suspicion for pernicious anemia was high, but vitamin B12 levels were 1644 pg per milliliter (1228 pmol per liter) and 1321 pg per milliliter (975 pmol per liter), respectively (reference range, 246 to 1320 pg per milliliter [181 to 974 pmol per liter]).

On subsequent bone-marrow evaluation, specimens from both patients showed profound megaloblastic features. Additional findings on laboratory tests included elevated levels of homocysteine and methylmalonic acid combined with detection of intrinsic factor–blocking antibodies and antiparietal-cell antibodies, which further supported the diagnosis of pernicious anemia."
last time i had my bloodwork done my b12 was over 8500, that was about a year ago...im going for a test in two days and interested to see the results. i was just wondering if anyone else with high levels has experienced any adverse effects.my blood pressure is 111/50 p62...but i take lots of antioxidants eat fresh and exercise