Nutrition Expert Forum
High Folate

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

High Folate

My recent blood results indicate my folate level is greater than 24 and is shown as "out of range".  (My doctor did not go over that result.)  The lab work indicates that normal is greater than 5.4.  Other results are:  B12 434, high cholesterol at 260, low CPK at 25.  (I don't know how "iron" is indicated on the test results or I would include that.)
I am being treated for hypothyroidism and have a high T3 at 462 and low TSH at .03.   I am experiencing extreme body pain and am trying to determine what is going on.

My question:   is my folate level of 24 "bad" and if so, what can I do to counteract it?  

Tags: folate
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'4"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
150 lbs
Folate is good for your body and you may have eaten food high in folate the night before the test which may have caused the blood results to be above normal. You need to concern if the folate results were below normal. You do have high cholesterol results. I suggest you ask your MD to do another test for cholesterol that breakdown are the cholesterols (good and bad) so you can see which cholesterol is high and be treated correctly. Recommend you follow a moderate fat diet to lower the fat content of your foods and increase ‘good’ fats to benefit your body. Moderate fat diet means = use polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), substitute dairy products (low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). It will help you lower your cholesterol levels and help keep your weight down which is difficult with hypothyroidism.