Nutrition Expert Forum
High Folate Level and Normal B12

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

High Folate Level and Normal B12

I have symptoms of B12 deficiency but my blood test turned out normal for B12 but high for folate. My B12 is 409 but Folate is 21.90 (normal range is 3.00-16.00). Does that mean that I shouldn't worry about B12 deficiency any more?  
You stated you have symptoms of B12 deficiency. How do you know? Did an MD test you and diagnosed that you were Vitamin B12 deficient?
My MD didn't diagnose me. I didn't have one because I moved from a different state. I had a Lhermitte's back in July and I went straight to a neurologist who told me right away I had MS. My MRI showed 1 lesion in the spinal cord and other test were good. She never ran B12 test at that moment but she wanted me to start taking Tysabri right away. I decided to go to see another doctor and he told me that because I didn't have any other symptoms of MS, I should wait and see. Recently I was reading about Lhermitte's sign and read that B12 deficiency could cause it. I asked my new family doctor to run a B12 test and he said it came out normal. I asked to give me a copy of the results and I saw my folate was high. I am trying to find out why now myself. I got misdiagnosed by several doctors in the past that's why I learned to research  everything myself....I am sorry if I confused you. Thank you for taking time to read my story.
You need to be tested for vitamin B12 the correct way in order to determine if you are deficient or not. Having high folate does not mean you are vitamin B12 deficient. If you are worried, I suggest you have a complete Iron profile blood-work done. That will determine if you are anemic or deficient, or not.
A related discussion, Question about Folate & PTH Intact was started.