NUTRITION
FORUM
High Iron Levels?
by Help21, Jan 12, 2011
I am a 27 year old white male who is 6' 1" and weighs 150 lbs. I recently had some blood tests done and found the following:

"Iron                      183 mcg/dL High
TIBC                    306 mcg/dL
TIBC Calculated    306 mcg/dL
Iron Saturation       60% NA              "

I know the Iron level is above the normal range but the range wasn't listed so I'm not sure how high it is. Also, from what I've read the Iron Saturation seems pretty high. How do these numbers look to you? Should I call the doctor back and have this checked out? Thanks for your time.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?:
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?:
6' 1"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?:
150 lbs
Answer:
by Renee RadenbergBlank, Jan 16, 2011
The general Iron levels for adults is 65-150mcg/dl, however, it depends on the individual lab machines that run the test. You may have eaten a food very high in iron the day before or day of the blood work. Suggest have it drawn again and see what the results are. If you are taking an iron supplement and the levels remain high, then suggest stop taking the supplement and get iron from food sources only. Hoped this helped you.
Member Comments (1)