Nutrition Expert Forum
High folic acid [folate] risk
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High folic acid [folate] risk

My doc is out of town and unable to answer questions on my last lab. My folic acid results was >24 with a range of 4-17 ng/ml.
1. What risk am I facing with continued high levels?
2. I do not consume high folic acid foods. What can I do to lower my level below 17 ng/ml?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'7"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
138 lbs
Related Discussions
267079_tn?1195146570
Folic Acid / Folate normal blood reference is 5-25 ng/ml. Some references may differ depending on the lab test machines that are used. Folate is good for your body and you may have eaten food high in folate the night before the test which may have caused the blood results to be above normal. You are not at any risk. You need to concern if the folate results were below normal. What was your Vitamin B12 level? If you did not have that measured, then suggest getting that done. There is a relationship between Folate and vitamin B12. Studies show that if the Folate is elevated it may be due to a vitamin B12 decreased. Suggest getting your vitamin B12 levels just to rule out any issues.
2 Comments
Blank
559053_tn?1274916974
Thanks for your reply. I'll retest the folic acid /folate in a month while watching my food intake the night b4. My B12 results was >1000 with a range of >200 pg/ml so everything appears normal.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank