Nutrition Expert Forum
How fast should vitamin levels fall and what's normal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

I have a history of being deficient in vitamins. I was just going over some of my blood work.

B-12 is supposed to be stored in the liver and take years to become deficient in? I am 25 btw. I was first diagnosed in 2008. In April of 2010 I had my b12 checked and it was 263. I wasn't treated for it then. I was told everything was normal actually. Though I'm reading now that b12 symptoms can start showing up as soon as levels fall below 400. In December of 2011 my b12 was 156 which is clearly low by any labs standards. Is that the normal time frame for b12 to fall? I'm trying to decide if I need to inquire about getting shots. I eat plenty of meat which is I think where b12 is found most right? So I don't quite understand this and I frankly am tired of feeling so crappy.

With my Vit D I should mention I live in Alaska so just about everyone is deficient here I think. I had blood drawn the beginning of Oct and my level was 17.63. On Dec 17th I had it tested again and it was down to 11. It just seemed like 2 1/2 months was an awfully short time for my level to drop that far. Granted I hadn't taken any supplements but we get vit D from some food too right?

I was also deficient in folate (not the first time) and iron which was the first time anyone has tested me for it. I'm not sure how severe it is. My hemoglobin was fine. Here's the results actually.

iron, serum 28 mcg/dL 40-175
iron binding capacity, total 389 mcg/dL 250-450
iron saturation percent, serum 7 % (CALC) % 15-50
ferritin, serum 24 ng/mL 10-154

I have PCOS and go years w/o a period so I know my low iron levels aren't a result of that. I am baffled though by all these deficiencies. I am on a few medicines; I have GERD and seems like I always have gastritis as well. Frequent nausea. I'm also on some meds for Migraines and depression/anxiety. I can't stop taking any of these meds. How do I know if the vitamin deficiencies are med related or something more serious going on?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'6
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
367
The normal range of Vitamin B12 is from160-950pg/ml. Reason for such wide range is due to Vitamin B12 is in our tissues plus in the blood so it is difficult to have a true reading. There is a factor in our stomach that we need for Vitamin B12 to work. If that is not present, pernicious anemia occurs and we become vitamin B12 deficient. Supplementation is used for mild vitamin B12 deficiency, such as, with chronic alcoholism, therapy for gastric acid inhibitors, vegan vegetarians, autoimmune disorders, or dementia. Vitamin B12 shots are the best method of treatment and normal treatment is once a month. Your blood levels are monitored while you are receiving injections. Some people have low vitamin B12 levels due to folate deficiency. Which you mentioned are low. There are no adverse effects associated with Vitamin B12 intake from food and/ or supplementation. If you are really concerned then Vitamin B12 can be easily consumed from our diet. One egg a day (yes, it does have cholesterol, however, it is the good cholesterol our body needs), ½ chicken breast, and 1 cup low fat milk, to name a few vitamin B12 sources would help increase the vitamin. Folic Acid / Folate normal blood reference is 5-25 ng/ml. Some references may differ depending on the lab test machines that are used. You can get extra folate  by eating the foods high in it, such as, raw spinach, orange, romaine lettuce, peanut butter, nonfat milk, and raisin bran cereal. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means the vitamin goes into our fat cells and the body does not excrete it. It is a required vitamin for our body to stay healthy as all the other vitamins and minerals are necessary. Vitamin D may decrease from certain medications such as certain anti-seizure, corticosteroids, heparin, certain antibiotics, mineral oil, and antacids; or certain disease states such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and Whipple’s disease. 2000 IU is the tolerable upper intake level for adults. Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, and fish oils. Hoped this helped you.