Nutrition Expert Forum
How fast should vitamin levels fall and what's normal?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How fast should vitamin levels fall and what's normal?

I have a history of being deficient in vitamins. I was just going over some of my blood work.

B-12 is supposed to be stored in the liver and take years to become deficient in? I am 25 btw. I was first diagnosed in 2008. In April of 2010 I had my b12 checked and it was 263. I wasn't treated for it then. I was told everything was normal actually. Though I'm reading now that b12 symptoms can start showing up as soon as levels fall below 400. In December of 2011 my b12 was 156 which is clearly low by any labs standards. Is that the normal time frame for b12 to fall? I'm trying to decide if I need to inquire about getting shots. I eat plenty of meat which is I think where b12 is found most right? So I don't quite understand this and I frankly am tired of feeling so crappy.

With my Vit D I should mention I live in Alaska so just about everyone is deficient here I think. I had blood drawn the beginning of Oct and my level was 17.63. On Dec 17th I had it tested again and it was down to 11. It just seemed like 2 1/2 months was an awfully short time for my level to drop that far. Granted I hadn't taken any supplements but we get vit D from some food too right?

I was also deficient in folate (not the first time) and iron which was the first time anyone has tested me for it. I'm not sure how severe it is. My hemoglobin was fine. Here's the results actually.

iron, serum 28 mcg/dL 40-175
iron binding capacity, total 389 mcg/dL 250-450
iron saturation percent, serum 7 % (CALC) % 15-50
ferritin, serum 24 ng/mL 10-154

I have PCOS and go years w/o a period so I know my low iron levels aren't a result of that. I am baffled though by all these deficiencies. I am on a few medicines; I have GERD and seems like I always have gastritis as well. Frequent nausea. I'm also on some meds for Migraines and depression/anxiety. I can't stop taking any of these meds. How do I know if the vitamin deficiencies are med related or something more serious going on?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'6
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
: