Nutrition Community
How toxic is L-Lysine taken daily?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Viewing 201-258 comments:
Hi all, .. When I get herpes on my lip, .. I know something in my emotional body needs attention.. Through the years I learned that  it stands for grief, well for me it does, .. grief and stress. and I take a homeopathic natrium muriaticum to support the process. It is not always easy to  acknowledge the underlying emotions, but The only way out is the way in. When we are ill our body is telling us something needs attention, love and care rather then surpressing and fear thoughts. Ilness can be a good friend, it tells us and we could listen if we have courage and confidence. let us be kind to our beautifull bodies that are our vehicals in life.. wishing you all the best and health and love.and sometimes we just need some help and love from others, that is wonderfull.. let us support and encourage eachother.
You need to search on "BHT for Herpes". It is amazing what is said. BHT is a food preservative and for Herpes it turns out to be a miracle substance. Please read all about it you can. Some say it is dangerous as a food additive yet it is in most people foods and animal foods to help preserve color, taste & spoilage.
then why would you recoment a chemical that 'may' be dangerous? might cause hyperactivity and cancer? http://whatisthatingredient.com/ingredient.php?id=22
thanks,  I read up and it sounds very effective with healing. I am going to do some research for other uses as well.

thanks again
You say you're a female and I believe you, but wonder why you're posting under a male pseudonym.

I suggest you recognize your rebellion against God has already cost you dearly and according to your post, it might shorten your life, which isn't very pleasant right now. Cry out to God for mercy and grace and recognize that our sin (yours is all that should matter to you right now, but we're all in the same boat) is why Jesus died. He gave His life as substitute lamb to take away our sins and give us access to the presence of God.

It should be automatically evident that if Jesus gave His life for you, He must love you very much. Pick up a Bible and ask the Lord to open your eyes to His truth. Not only will God have mercy and forgive your sins, but His sacrifice also paid for your healing and if you come to Him in truth and sincerity, He'll open your eyes to see that healing is just part of His grace to us.

He loves you more than you can possibly imagine and will help you if you'll give your life to Him and trust Him. You need to hear His voice and He is well able to speak to you. Make yourself available to Him.
I have had HSV2 since 1980. Here is what works to prevent and shorten outbreaks:
1. L-Lysine 2000 units per day, everyday.
2. L-Lysine 9000 units per day in 3 doses, during outbreaks.
3.Routine  Exercise is wonderful for relieving and preventing symptoms. Daily Exercise. Running, weights, walking, etc.
4.  Two Books which helped me: Release from Nervous Tension by Dr. Fink. Also, "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living", by Dale Carnegie. Work on reducing Stress and Tension in your Life.
5. Think Positive and You will live a Happy Life!!
I was diagnosed with herpes almost 2 years ago, when i found out i was mortified, i suffered from outbreaks monthly and couldn't figure out anything to do but to get the Valacyclovir or Valtrex which is prescription necessary and about $33 bucks a pop .. Well i started to research holistic medicine and things people did to prevent and control outbreaks.  Here is what i have found that Works.. In the first year it is found that there are more outbreaks, so once the tingling starts i take L-Lysin 500 mg 2 in the morning, and 1 at night, i immediatley check the area out and apply some tea tree oil (found in any drug stores or walmart as a hair or skin moisturizing oil) Once the bump or bumps actually appear , dab the spots with rubbing alcohol, will hurt i know, but this will dry the out break area out and help stop more from appearing, once you have done that apply tea tree oil.  Continue to take L-lysin about twice a day until the out break is gone.  Once it's gone i will admit i get lazy and not to mention the pills are HUGE it gets hard to take them everyday but since i have been taking them every other day , i barely have outbreaks..
Facts that are good to know is that once your skin starts tingling you have 5 days that you are contagious to spread, condom or not- and 5 days after... its important that if you have this you take control of it and get yourself healthy, this is a virus that will live in your body forever, might as well treat it well with healthy food, and excersize.  Drink lots of water and NO Sex while outbreak especially not with someone new.

For more information:
http://www.smartbodyz.com/cold-sores-lysine-1.htm
Hello. I am 35 (or soon to be) & I was just diagnosed HSV II about 3 weeks ago. I survived my first break which was beyond awful! I have been in a faithful relationship for 7 months, my partner got tested and he is clear so I believe I must’ve gotten it from my ex—is it possible to wait 7 months for a break out? :( Either way-- I have never been big on pharmaceutical meds. I work for the health department I do a lot of research…when necessary it's necessary but for preventative measure I am very interested in natural ways to handle this virus. I realize it is something I will always live with, and I'm not quite over the depression shock part yet but luckily my boyfriend is amazingly supportive.

I did hear WONDERFUL things about lysine, vitamin c and zinc supplements so I purchased them right away- that and Olive tree oil-- which I'm not sure how that is helpful. But I am curious about your alcohol and tee tree oil regiment for break outs. Has anyone tried this? Is this alcohol safe? Of course I was given valtrex and the cream for my sores- but it was so uncomfortable- every 3 hours having to put that weird cream on. Does your regiment (of alcohol and tee tree oil) do you find it gets rid of the sores faster? I'm really curious if anyone else has tried this.

I'm very scared and I want to protect my boyfriend as much as possible. Which leads to my next question is it awful to have unprotected sex? He says if I don't have any breakouts he doesn't see why not. We are a very intimate couple and I think he's afraid- as am I- that we will lose that if we have to go back to condoms. Can he take these supplements too? Also birth control.. I hear the OBs are due to stressful or overly hormonal times… does that mean BC is bad for women with herpes? I take the lowest does of BC- Ortho-trycyclen low. I’ve never had a bad reaction to it… but has any one heard of BC increasing your chances for an OB?

I'm sorry a lot of questions but like I said I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago- and my head is racing ...but at least I'm finally breathing again

Thanks again!
I've heard that Silver Sol is good for herpes as well as a ton of other health problems! It kills viruses and bacteria! It's an amazing product as I have used the gel form for various reasons. I have recently ordered the double strength in the liquid form. I encourage you and everyone else reading this to do a thorough search of Silver Sol for yourself!! It may just be the answer you're looking for! God Bless and good luck :)
Hi,  this is such an awesome board, I want to add, and found this out years ago about the tea, that if you do that for a bad sunburn that will pull the heat and the hurt out of it and give relief to your skin.  This was in my younger years before I believed in Sunscreen, learned the hardway!
A combination of peanut butter and chocolate can trigger cold sores. So stay away from the Reeses!
hi olivia i to am trying to conceive. i got pregnant at 30 lost it ectopic. 36 now. no baby. i want to do ivf. i know it will work. i would like to chat with you
I was dating this guy and he disappeared after I told time that i have HSV2. I had went to the doctor after a severe case of burning and tingling when i urinated. i thought it was bacterial Vaginosis or Yeast infection or latex allergy. Well, come to find out: this guy gave me herpes and warts. I know its him because I had just went to my doctor in july and here it is november and all this is happening. When I talked to him about it: he was very knowledgable about what i should take and stated that i would be fine. I ended up having a super-double infection...SO PAINFUL! Well, the guy started slowly drifting away. It went from calling me everyday to not calling at all. He won't come see me anymore. He just went ghost. I'm disappointed in myself and him b/c i feel like he wronged me. So like you..i began to read post about herpes which helped alot. I've been taking 1000 mg Vitamin C, 1000 of Lysine, Vatrex 1 pill a day, Probiotics, and One a day women's vitamin.  I been depressed severely. We used condoms: thats the crazy part about this. I feel so void and some days I just feel like going to his job and going off on him but i know it won't make a difference. i realize that he revenge lies in the hand of the beholder. It wasnt me that got him,,, but he will "get-got" one day. I think he should have been upfront and told me he had HSV2. He made it seem like I gave it to him but he refused to meet up to talk about it. I think the reason he didn't want to meet up was because he was having an OB. Its been a month since I've seen him and he texts to see if im okay..but to me that;s not good enough. So now I have this disease I have to pick up the pieces and keep it moving some how..I've completely lost doubt. Im pretty much healed from the herpes family for now..now i have to work on the warts...this is horrible but i know im not alone
Why is that with the virus sometimes you hve random patches anywhere that look like ringworms? Has anyone had that happen? They arent blisters that burn or itch. Just patches that appear maybe on your arm, leg, face etc. and go away.
I'm dealing with that right now!! I've had this for 4 years, and I've never seen these spots before! Totally freaked me out, thinking I had ringworm down there.... It doesn't hurt or itch... Did you find out how to get rid of it? or just regular valtrex cycle?
i understand everyone on this chatting, i have herpes type 2 since i was 30, im now 35. I was always a player but a responsable one, i date this girl once and i just get out of cirgury about 2 weeks ago and i dont know what the heck i was thinking knowing the auto control that i normally had...  we have have unprotected sex and bammm my favor part of my body, mi beautifull pink penis got herpes. That really create me stress and i feel bad and depressed for many years, i was proud to be a Don Juan and i really love girls....Status now? i have relationship for 2 years, we have a beatufill daughter i dont cheat and my life change. The Don juan life that i used to have here in miami is over and sometimes is sad for me, becuase WOW, there is so many beautiful girls here,and i  always used to have this sexy increible power on vested on me :) and thats now over. Good luck .to all, and someone know if there will a cure for this???????????????????? thanks
Hi there, I got diagnosed over 2 years ago. It is a very difficult time and my head was spinning for weeks.
After several outbreaks I looked into remedies to help. Tea tree oil is good and can soothe the pain of an outbreak. I now take vitamin C, zinc and l-lysine daily and with a healthy diet low in l-arginine foods it really helps to suppress the outbreaks. And if I do get one it is very mild and goes quicker than before I took the supplements. I have found no side affects of taking l-lysine and in my opinion is not toxic but quite the opposite.
Now to the issue of unprotected sex with your partner. With the herpes virus it is never 100% safe to have unprotected sex with an uninfected partner. But the virus is normally passed with skin contact to an infected genital area.
Having said that as long as when you feel an outbreak coming(normally a tingle feeling in your genital area) you dont have sex for at least 5 days AFTER the herpes sores have gone. The chances are your partner would NOT catch the virus. But like I said it isnt 100% safe to have unprotected sex even when no outbreaks have occured for a while.
I know its a shock but life is far from over and as Ive found the right diet, exercise and supplementation can really help to suppress the nasty symptoms from this virus that will be in your system for life.
I am so glad to have stumbled upon this community. I have had Herpes HSV-2 since my 20's and am now 60. I have managed outbreaks successfully all these years with varying doses of Valtrex and Zovirax cream. This latest outbreak is the first in 2-3 years and has lasted 5 weeks!
I've read through all these posts back to 2006 and didn't read any comments about shaving or waxing the pubic area as being a cause for an outbreak but am guessing it is. Anyone else share this observation?
I am heading out now to get my L-Lysine and am very encouraged. I also read that Propolis is helpful in treatment to apply to the bumps. Thank you to all for sharing your experience.
Hello, I had my first cold sore break last week and I am afraid it may happen again. I went to a walk in clinic to see a Doctor and he told me not to worry about cold sore as they are very common.

I asked him about Lysine supplements and he said he doesnt recommend them because our body already gets enough Lysine from food.

I am totally confused. Maybe I should see  a different doctor.
Do you think this is herpes, a boil, in grown hair, or...?
I'm 36 years old and have had cold sores since I was about 3 years old, not sure where I got them, I am the only one in my family with them. They always show up at the worst times: important meetings, important function, wedding, vacation, etc. Have been with the same partner for 13 years, he does not get them. Is it possible I gave myself herpes "down there"? I always wash my hands when I have the cold sores outbreaks, but I have been having many outbreaks lately (stress from work) and eating the wrong things (namely chocolate, etc).
About 5 days ago, I noticed a bump on the outside of my girl "parts". I dont want to go into much detail, but its clearly one big, pimple-like bump. Never had anything like this ever. I noticed because I started wearing new underwear, and they are way too tight...they have a seam sort of across the front lower area and was hitting me right in that spot and was itchy, anyways I tried wearing these 5 pair of underwear all week (hoping they would loosen up), and on the final day thats when I noticed this bump. I did a search on Wiki and the picture of gen. herpes doesnt look anything like this thing. It almost looks like a boil, which I have never gotten, but my partner however has suffered from them all his life. Is it even possible to get a boil "down there?". I have helped him get rid of them before, but I certainly dont ever remember touching my body right after and always wash my hands.

Is it possible I washed my hands but didnt do a good enough job, or spread it when I was in the shower?
This thing is one bump, no clusters or blisters at all, has a head today and I popped it and pus came out. I am freaking out. It almost looks like an in-grown hair, but I've never had an in-grown in this area, right on the outside of my parts. If I did transfer my cold sores virus to myself down there, does this mean now I will forever get them down there? :(
How many mg of Lysine do you recommend to start off taking daily? I bought a jar and they are 500 mg capsules. It says take 2 capsues 3 times a day so 3000 mg, this sounds like a lot. I'm 36 years and 150 pounds lady.
found this post.  Good info, pop a bonus lysine when eating more choc.  I found in the last 10 of the 25 yrs. I have been "blessed" that things are migrating and sensations too.  I used to dial in on early warning signs and beat it, however the feelings are spreading and painfully lasting longer.  has me bewildered.  sorebob
i think this is one of those things the billionaire pharmaceutical corporations don't want people to know about. An $11. natural "herbal" type remedy that can almost "cure". Lysine was the miracle i was praying for. It reversed my outbreak back to normal skin state, and did it FAST. i know it might not work for everyone, because all people respond differently. But i'll share my secret with you to try... Besides taking 3 pills of 1000mg per day, while doing so, crush one into a glass of a small amount of hot water. Make a paste. Apply it directly to the blisters with a Qtip and you can practically watch them shrink over the next couple days. Clean the area with alcohol first. This cut my usual outbreak course to less than half the time. Google the properties and effects of Lysine and you'll understand why this works.
Note: Get "free form" L-Lysine (because it doesn't have the clear-coat or any additional additives). They sell it at the "Feel-Rite" store. Also, eat some chewable Vitamin C tablets too.
i wonder what other naturals work better than we think, which the "drug" manufacturers don't want the public to know...
I take 1000 mg of lysine everyday to help with cold soars which is working great but is anyone having sharp chest pains? I only get them about once every to weeks I was just wondering if I am getting to much lysine and if I should cut back to just 500mg a day

Thanks chuck0897
I read that Valtrex is horrible for us and effects even out DNA...so to not take it is in the best interest to all. L-Lysine works from all I have studied best for any herpes virus, I use it for shingles(herpes zoster)
Tomatoes for sure..maybe pineapple, the acid from them. I use one tsp.of hydrogen peroxide rinse in my mouth for one minute and they are gone the next day...same with any herpes sore except shingles, those won't go away but can atleast be dried up
Yes I did notice real sharp chest pains...a heart attack isn't sharp pain I heard...not sure if its a nerve thing as that is where my shingles are (close to it) that I am treating?  Funny you noticed it too...hmmm
Will do more research for sure
allot of foods have arginine in them, if you google a list of foods high in lysine low in arginine it will give you a list of the ratios, its hard to find foods that have none, The higher the Lysin and lower the Arginine the better for herpes. Peanuts, peanut butter , choclate, breads, and gelatin and orange juice are high in Arginine!!!! BUT yogurt, cheese, and allot of dairy is high in lysine low in arginine. Id search in .orgs for truth not .coms
Question for the ladies who are reading this....do you take L- lysine?

I started taking it about a month or so ago to help prevent cold sores. About 2 weeks after I begen taking it, I noticed a slight change in my body's discahrge (sorry, I will try not to go into too much detail). It was just thicker than normal....no smell or anything. I'm about a month into taking it, and my discharge on some days is so thick, and it sticky and sort of, well, clumpy almost.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal or should I be worried and stop taking L-lysine. I am taking between 1000 mg and 2000 mg a day. Thanks.
Eating a high intake of immune system building foods will help avoid the cold sores. Eliminateing high acid foods and caffeine helps too. Keeping the immune system up, stress down is the key to good health and cold sores is just an outward sore telling a person they haven't been eating properly.. I am only stating this from my own experiences.
I came across this forum and came across your post. I got HSV I from natural human contact. Just so happens that one day I hit a 103.5 F fever and fever blisters opened everywhere in my mouth. My partner at the time, we were both young (21 n 22), supported me throughout it. They lasted three weeks and through my own research I found out I had Herpes I. After that episode I got STD/HIV testing, as it was my quarterly checkup, and the doctor told me I was infected with HSV I. (from the fever blisters outbreak)... About one year later the HSV I migrated and turned into HSV II. There was no helping it. I used protection I had few partners in that year. Now here I am 3 years later from that diagnosis, 25. It's my birthday today.

My suggestion is the same one that my nurse practitioner told me when she gave me my HSV II results. DONT TELL A SOUL, at least until you know you are serious about dating them. Yes It sounds shady  but ultimately as men we are despicable. We are horrible vain creatures. Try not to beat yourself up about it and do some stress relieving activities. Like bikram yoga. This is tied to stress, diet, and immune function. Start the lysine and start the yoga. Outbreaks will decrease and eventually you will feel better about it. Over the last 2 years, I have told only 4 of my partners (the serious ones) and all of them were cool with it. One thing I learned about herpes is that it is great for testing the character of the person you are dating. A friend who has it told me it was the kiss from cupid, because it will keep those who want you for you, stick around for you. Those 4 partners understood but its only after I told them when we had been dating for a while. I tried telling one after a month of dating and he backed off, after this I learned to keep it to myself. If you flare-up just back off till they go away. The sad thing is that you could have eventually caught this regardless of who you dated yesterday, today, tomorrow as so many people have herpes and you don't even know or can tell. So don't beat yourself up about it. I just barely found out my mother had it and thats only because I found her Abreva tube lmao!... Just Keep the stress off, eat the pills, maintain your sanity haha good luck my friend and know there are others out there. This isn't your burden of society to bear alone.
-Joe
yes! shaving does cause break outs that's why i stick to trimming with a small scissors:)
Ya I have this too. It was lichen sceloris I'm starting to think it's from taking too much lysine.
And sharp chest pains dead center of my chest almost like my chest has been cracked. I'll tone down my instake. I was taking 1-3 capsules daily, for 2 years now.

I haven't had a single cold sore since tho :)
If you are taking vitamins please DO NOT take with L-Lysine.  When taken together L-Lysine seems to work less or not at all.
I've been taking L-Lysine over 10 years and it boost my energy level and able to function with only 5-6 hours sleep.  Before taking this, I was always tired and low energy even with 10 hours of sleep.  

During 10 years of taking it, I have found how best it works for me.
I take vitamins in the morning and L-Lysine before I go to bed.  Also, only take 500mg a day unless you are stressed out and feeling tired or getting sick then take 1000mg.  Go back to 500mg a day when you are well.  
I share this supplement information and direction how to take it to family and friends and to almost everyone who wants to listen.   Wal-Mart in my town cannot keep up with demand.  As soon as it is stocked, it's gone, they say.

I found that Spring Valley brand works best for me.  You can find it at Wal-Mart.  250 tablets for $5.39.

About Tea (any kind)
If you are tea or ice tea drinker (female), only intake 2 cups or glasses or less a day.  Tea will reduce iron from your blood.   If you are a man, drink at least 2 cups or glasses a day.

Good luck, everyone.
Thank you for posting. This has been very helpful for me!
Franny
Yes, buy some Boric Acid (powder), use this as you would Monistat but only twice a week it works wonders for you secretions, you will feel some cramping (mild)....I hope this helps
First of all you must take L-Lysine not Lysine as it does make a difference.  I usually take (5) capsules of 1000 mg each at the first tingle of a new outbreak.
Watch your diet too much arginine in your food compared to the amount of L-Lysine is a catalyst.  Hope this helps you.
Sounds like angina which is a stress related condition usually but could also lead up to a heart attack.  I would research angina more specifically.
I have had the same problem but not while taking L-Lysine which I only take as needed.  I have found I have your problem when I drink coffee.  For some reason the caffine in coffee affects my joints and causes pain (even my stomach had pain)  i have been off the coffee now for years...but I find I can and do drink all the tea I want without any ill effects!  For some reason it is a milder type of caffine than coffee...or perhaps it is in the processing of the two.
Another thing is when the weather is damp and cold haven't you noticed the joint pain more then?
I'm from India. I wanted to ask you, as to where can I get L-Lysine from, here. I've been having throat ulcers for the longest time & I'd want to explore the Lysine treatment.
Thanks in advance.
Some HPV is aggressive and they told me the aggressive ones are usually lethal. Betamannan from Dr Joe Glickman, Jr. M. D.(go to alotek *******) completely cured a friend of mine who was suddenly faced with a horrendous pap after her second child. She was told to go into hospital immediately for surgery, but chose to research instead, and found this item and told me aobut it. The entire situation was healed in 6 months - clean pap. Eleven years later, still clean.  I have tried it, too, for an aggressive HPV and have had clear paps for four years since taking it regularly.
I have had cold sores since I was about 21 or so I am now 42 and it wasnt until recently March this year ) I started to look at other ways to treat them other than the prescription creams. My Son has them on his lips too and most certainly because of me. Currently he is 5 and started to get them when he was 2.5 and it is far worse and more frequent than myself. I use to get them 4 to 5 times a year for 20 years or so but for him it was constantly for the first year and a half. I began to read alot about Lysine and its effect on snuffing the replecation process of the virus and stumbled across a company called Quantum Health and ordered a bottle of their Super Lysine Plus that contains more than just Lysine and lists Vit C, Echinacea, Licorice, Propolis, and Garlic as its ingredients. I have wore facial hair in the form of an outdated goatee so that I didnt have to shave which always seems to launch an outbreak but back to the Lysine. I started using the Super Lysine in March and made it thru the whole Spring, Summer, and now Fall without an outbreak. I feel it tingling on my hot spots alot but IT DOES NOT FORM ANYMORE!!! I use to get it on the end of my nose, under my left nostril, and 2 spots on my upper lips and while although my lip spots are darker than the non launch pad spots the usual tingling, bubbling, and hamburger size blisters havent formed yet. I went so far as to start shaving again for ahwhile but pulled back on it because I didnt want to push my luck. Now here 2 more things about this type I take for I take no other meds ot vits. I havent been sick, allergy season has come and gone without an infection, and I also have had warts down below and on my hands that are gone too. For 20 years I would get the warts removed twicw a year and noticed that the ones down below are completly gone...NO BS!!! I take the recomended dosage of three pills a day at 1500MG total and I do have a couple of pains that I havent had prior to usage. My left elbow and foreamr muscle feels as if it had been torn and wont heal for 4 months or so and the arch of my right foot feels the samr as if something was torn. I dont know if it is the Lysine or not and as of now will not stop using it because of the 2 pains. I cant seem to find a reliable source on what kind of dosage is safe for a toddler and wont ever give him any until I find out. Our derm just seems as if he could care less about what I have learned and wont bother trying to see what type of dose a toddler can take of Lysine. Either way if you stumble across this post you have nothing to lose GO GET SOME SUPER LYSINE PLUS FROM QUANTUM HEATH!!! Sorry for the caps but this stuff is for real!
Omg sounds like my story. Are you from N.O.?
While acyclovir is rather inexpensive, the zovirax is  VERY expensive.   That's the ointment that works.  IT has acyclovir in it.  After discussing with my GYN (I'm 62 and have had HSV & HPV for 30+ yrs), I asked her, what if I crush  my acyclovir tabs to a powder and add  it to plain shea butter.  She said- hmmm...try it(she's into alternative too). So instead of spending $70 per tube after insurance cost I made this and IT WORKS!!
I also started in L- lysine daily, started at 1000mg , decided to UP it too, just preventative.  I usually only get outbreaks under stress but also under heat, like SUMMER time.  My body cannot handle heat so it's a HEAT stress..hence the outbreak.  I've learned now what triggers the outbreaks, caffeine, stress, heat, did I say stress?  Stress is a biggie.
good luck everyone!  GYN said 70% of the population as a WHOLE has HSV!  ugh...
Hi.
I know you posted this last year- and maybe you know by now that there are foods that will trigger the herpes virus: peanuts, popcorn, grape juice, (and lots more), also excessive drinking (partying=not enough sleep=lower immune system). Trying Googling: What foods trigger herpes? and you will find lists of foods to avoid.
It has to do with the amount of L-Arginine in a food. I use protein powder after my work out but make sure I buy the one with the most L-Lysine and least L-Arginine. Always try to offset high arginine foods with lysine food or supplement so that the balance is towards lysine.
Doctors a not schooled in nutrition to the level of good and bad supplements. They only get a few hours of basic nutrition throughout all their years of schooling. Unless you find a doctor that uses supplements and holistic health care, you will not find the answers you need. I have many friends in the medical field I had taught about supplements.

I too have this issue at hand. I have contracted the virus from being raped. As if the rape wasn't bad enough I now live as a single woman battling this disease. After 13 years of this it still comes. Even after several years of taking antiviral drugs, red marine algae, Lysine, the list goes on. I do know my trigger is stress.  But recently it's been frequent.
Someone posted a question about what looks like ring worms on other parts of the body. I have that also. I showed this to a doctor and she brushed it of stating it was from dry skin. Today during my research I found an article by a person promoting her book, it was from the toxic level of the drug in her system. (Why would someone try to profit from information to help other is a shame). We are all in this together. Right?
Another person asked about using rubbing alcohol and tea tree oil I didn't find this helpful.
Hi, I do feel bad for you. I have herpes simplex too and warts. I found I got the warts burnt off and they have never come back. With the herpes, if I stress too much I get them. So all I can say is try not to stress Hun. The stastistics show that 80% of Australians have herpes simplex this it's quite common. As you said you used protection what more can you do.
Eventually the whole world will get this virus, it's enevadbul!
He is immature for not meeting up with you to discuss it but I guess he feels guilty and might think you'll tell people. ( not that you would because then you would be saying you have it too)
Remember try not to get worked up/ stressed out. It only makes thing worse.
I have a partner that I've had for 4 years now and I got it just before we got together but I didn't know either, he has never caught it! It is hard starting a relationship knowing how to tell them. I'm not sure if you don't have the symptoms while having intercourse can they get it?
Good luck :)
What a great community. I just spent the last few hours reading all 250 posts. I've had HSV-2 nearly my whole life. I am now 58 years old and contracted it in my late teens. I had outbreaks sporadically for years. Someone here mentioned purchasing the book "Never An Outbreak," by William Fahrel. I purchased the book years ago and found it to be somewhat helpful, but only because I somewhat followed the instructions. I noticed, though, that even with the minimal effort, my herpes sores migrated from my vagina to my upper buttocks. Rarely do I get a vaginal outbreak, but for the last year, I seemed to have a perpetual sore on my butt. No sooner would one sore heal and I'd start feeling the beginning bumps of a new sore. I knew my heaviest triggers were chocolate, nuts, and stress, and even though I cut out eating chocolate and nuts months before, I was still having outbreaks.
Last month, I contracted a very bad yeast and UTI infection. Because sugar is a catalyst for yeast, I cut out all sugar consumption. Lo and behold, the herpes sores cleared up in three days. When my yeast infection cleared up, I started eating sweets again. The very next day, my sores came back. Having wanting to cut sweets out for some time, I finally had the perfect reason to do so.
I started taking vitamins again, including 500 mg of L-lysine per day. I cut out all sweets and drastically reduced my wheat consumption. I also picked up Mr. Fahrel's book again and started putting DMSO on my scabbed sores. The speed at which the sores healed was no less than miraculous.
It has been about a week now with minimal sugar consumption. I am trying to eat more fresh fruits and veggies and am also eating more low-fat yogurt. I am thinking of keeping a diary of my L-lysine-to-L-Arginine consumption as I would really like to again have some chocolate or a handful of nuts once in awhile.
Yes marlo. Let your pubic hair be. Shaving and waxing (oh god!) are too harsh for skin areas that have herpes sores returning to their same former locations.
Thank you Jeff.  I suffered a painful eyebrow rash for almost a year and was treated badly by a few doctors.  I've been doing my own research trying desperately to get answers.  Now I know it was/is shingles.  Unfortunately now I have post herpetic neuralgia.  I'm just now finding out about the lysine connection.  Thanks for the info.  I also had breast cancer surgery yesterday.  I'm trying to get everything sorted out this year and move on!  No more nuts, chocolate or arginine rich foods for me.
If you have been sick with a virus or over stressed your immune system gets weak and the Herpes virus shows up. When I am, in one or both illness or over stressed I start taking 1000mg of l-lysine morning and night for at least 2 weeks and then once a day for a week or so if no symptoms are present. I have had herpes 2 cold sores on my upper lip since I was 7yrs old--I am 65.  I have not had a break put for over 10 years. Also, long exposures to sun or tanning bed can trigger facial herpes. Yes find a naturopathic clinician which have more of a preventive approach rather than just treating the outbreaks.
Peace
Jeff147 - have you ever had to worry about gallstones with your increased lysine intake?
I was 55 years old and dating a man who said he thought I was the one. I had a primary episode, which means the first major herpes outbreak, after having sex with him. He made it sound like I gave it to him. That was 13 years ago. I hated him for years for giving me this curse.  He also gave me HPV which has caused problems with PAP smears. I recently had a hysterectomy.  I'm hoping that took care of that problem. I can't give you advice because it's happened to you already. But I know how you feel.
try olive leaf extract from Barlean's.  you can give it to your toddler ages 2 and up.  read about it.  good stuff.  recommended to me by my pediatrician.
I have had Herpes 2 since 1971, first case at stanford dermatology, classes came to see "the next great STD", very uch, experience. I have given 3 people this awful desease. My ex after 13 years of marriage and two children were safely delivered. we were angry and I was careless, shortly divorced for other reasons. She has had no problems for over a year. With two lovers in 15 years-I was careless with one and after repeated warnings the other a PHD was out of control-still my fault. Just got married after 3 years of no relationships and 2 years with new wife. We are very careful-few outbreaks-3000 L lysine every day-Famvir- 3 day treatment-it works-wife douches after sex. outbreaks only during stress--ex.Wedding. well I'm 72 and going strong, good luck, hang in there. Bill
Viewing 201-258 comments: