Nutrition Expert Forum
Iron Supplement, How Much?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Iron Supplement, How Much?

I'm a 37 year old woman and I just started my period right on time a few days ago.  A couple of days before I started I began to feel light headed and shaky.  Food didn't help.  Calcium is the only thing I've been taking.  I have had low potassium attacks in the recent past and have just started taking potassium again.  I snack on a lot of fruit and nuts, so I don't know what's causing this light headedness and shaky behavior.  I did a little reading and decided to see if I was iron deficient and today took one 50mg iron supplement.  It's a slow release iron.  I've also done reading on iron over dosing so now I'm wondering how much is too much.  I'm already paranoid with taking meds as I'm rather supseptable to their affects and had a very bad reaction last year.  I'd nearly gone toxic from the prescriptions.  So I am a little anxious about this iron thing.  I don't even know if this is the reason for my continued light headedness.  I just applied for health insurance so that wont kick in until the first of next month, so I would like to hear an opinion of what this may be, please, and if I should stop taking the iron.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'5"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
155lb