Nutrition Expert Forum
Iron Supplements

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Iron Supplements

I'm taking Floradix iron tablets three times a day. They are great, they don't cause constipation and give me a lot of energy, as they also supply me with B vitamins. Anyway, I'm underweight and I'm desperate to gain weight and the methods I've been trying aren't too healthy nor have they been successful. I've read that iron supplements do not cause weight gain, but can they cause weight gain if you are underweight? Could the anemia itself be the very reason why I have been underweight for so long? I definitely do not "under-eat", most pepole are actually surprised by how much I can eat for my size, I just don't like red meat. I'm not a vegetarian, I've just never been a big fan of it, so I'm guessing I've been anemic for quite some time now. I've been taking the pills for a couple weeks and I have managed to gain a few pounds and was just wondering if the pills could be the reason (hoping so).
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'3
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
98 lbs
Our bodies need iron to function properly and when it is not available over long periods of time you become anemic. Iron pills do not make people gain weight, however, as the iron increases in the body, it is able to perform normal functions such as increased absorption of foods and oxygen to all the cells. The increased absorption of nutrients allows the body to process food correctly which may inadvertently cause weight gain. Women have a higher demand for iron then men due to monthly menstrual flow. There are 2 types of iron in our food sources, Heme iron and Non-Heme iron. Heme iron is from animal sources and Non-Heme is plant sources. Non-Heme iron has more iron then Heme iron , however, it does not absorbed well into our bodies so it is important to eat foods with Vitamin C and Heme iron foods to enhance absorption. For example, chicken with beans and a fresh orange; drink orange juice with the iron supplement; or have mashed potatoes with meat at a meal. High Iron food sources are all meats, fish, dark green vegetables, beans, enriched rice (cooked), enriched pastas (cooked), and whole wheat breads. Thank you for your question.