Nutrition Expert Forum
Iron count

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Iron count
Was told by the doctor after a blood test that I have very low blood count of 3. He also told me the average should be above 9 and I should take iron supplements . Although he doesn't seem to be particularly worried as my thyroid, liver and all other vitamin readings seems to be fine.

Q: is the iron count of 3 very low and should I be concerned? And what is the level I should get it up to... I've tried to research it on the Internet but nothing seems to correlate to the "9" that the doctor said.. :-/

Women normal levels are 10-150ng/mL or what your MD lab testing equipment states. Women have a higher demand for iron then men due to monthly menstrual flow. You need to replenish Iron through your food sources. There are 2 types of iron in our food sources, Heme iron and Non-Heme iron. Heme iron is from animal sources and Non-Heme is plant sources. Non-Heme iron has more iron then Heme iron , however, it does not absorbed well into our bodies so it is important to eat foods with Vitamin C and Heme iron foods to enhance absorption. For example, chicken with beans and a fresh orange; drink orange juice with the iron supplement; or have mashed potatoes with meat at a meal. High Iron food sources are all meats, fish, dark green vegetables, beans, enriched rice (cooked), enriched pastas (cooked), and whole wheat breads. Did your Doctor look at folate or Vitamin B12 levels for possible other types of anemia? If not ask him to do a total Iron profile which includes them. Hoped this helped you.