Nutrition Expert Forum
Is my one year old underweight?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Is my one year old underweight?
I am concerned that my one year old is underweight.  She was not a large baby at birth(5lbs.,11 oz.). She is one and only weights 17lbs.  She is very active a strong(can pick up a gallon of water).  Me and husband both were slim babies. Grandmother on father's side is small(70 years old, 5 feet and about 115 pounds).Should I be concerned or is this how my baby is menat to be?.  She likes to eat and always gained weight just not much.
Her weight is on the 5th percentile and her height is just below the 90th percentile for her age. She is tall so she appears even thinner. What is important is that she has steadily increased in weight and height, over the year, even if the increases have been in small increments. If you are concerned then suggest giving her nutrient dense drinks for extra calories and protein to help gain weight. You can buy Pediasure or make your own which is cheaper - milkshakes (ice cream, fresh fruit or frozen fruit, milk blended together) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, ice cream, and frozen fruit). Hoped this helped you.