Nutrition Community
LDL Cholesterol Reducing Diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

LDL Cholesterol Reducing Diet

I'm a 31 year old male in otherwise perfect health who learned while taking a life insurance blood test that my LDL cholesterol was 171 (triglycerides and HDL are normal).  Admittedly, for years (since high school/college), I ate way too much fat (red meat, eggs, etc.).  I am 5'11 and 170 lbs, and my resulting BMI (24.9) does not indicate that I am clinically overweight.  I mean until now I never ate fruit or the right kind of grains.

Since learning of this high LDL cholesterol level in early Jan. 2005, I've literally cut out red meat (substituted ground turkey), fried food, and any processed foods (cookies, etc.).  I now drink skim milk and when I have cheese it is low fat.  I check the nutritional content of everything.  I eat real oatmeal everyday, drink 100% concord grape juice daily, have an apple and a serving of strawberries everyday (sometimes more than once), and I've eliminated diet soft drinks and reduced coffee intake.  I also eat 1-2 servings of walnuts daily.  Eggs, when eaten, are only the whites.  I've basically given up processed meat (sausage, pepperoni, etc.).

I have just commenced an exercise regime of 3 days of weights and 3 days of cardio/aerobic per week.  I am only a social drinker and don't smoke.

Can you suggest other cholesterol reducing diets?  Can I expect it to lower after six months of dieting and three months of exercise?

I really, really want to avoid cholesterol medication at my age.  Thanks-I know that this is not the heart forum.    

What is your LP(a) blood value?  Have you had any diagnostic tests to see if your LDH has presented you with any problems?  I have been alerted as to my "bad" blood values, as well...and am now going through all the tests....but the one thing I have been told is that the LP(a) value is the important one (for me)
I have been trying to lower my LDL Cholesterol too.
For my health I take,
1- 500mg Green Tea Extract (in pill form)
2- 500mg Vitamim C
3- 1200 mg Omega 3 (fish oil)
4- 650 mg Bee Propolis
5- Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate
6- 5.25mg Hawthorn Berries (in pill form)
7- 620mg Fenugreek Seed (in pill form)
8- Bio E Gamma Plex
9- 300mg Apple Pectin
10- B Complex Vitamins
11- 200mg Niacin (twice a day)
.
In 2003 January, I had two stents put in one
of my main valves to my heart,
one blockage was 95% and the other 50 %.
And was put on two blood pressue medicines and
Lipitor,Plavix and aspirin.
I have my Cholesterol checked every month
to see how I am doing.
I eat foods to lower my Cholesterol,
that I had never even previously heard of before.
LUCKIE KAT.