Nutrition Community
Low Ferritin and High Iron

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Low Ferritin and High Iron

My  hair has been falling out for the past year, I just found out Ferritin is very low (16) ad my iron levels tested normal, over 100.  What can I do to get my Ferritin level up?  If I take Iron supplements, will it make my iron levels too high?
Hello there,

Ferritin is a compound of proteins that stores iron inside cells. When your levels of ferritin are low, this is a sign that your iron levels are low but in your case your not critical on iron ( critical iron level is 60-80 ). If the ferritin level is low, there is a risk for lack of iron, which could lead to anemia.

I recommend you take iron supplements and a iron rich diet. The excess of iron is excreted in the stools but too much iron is not good. A healthy person will be able to take 75mg a day without any problem. An iron rich diet is meats ( especially kidney, heart and liver ), lean red meats, beans and other legumes, nuts and seeds, dried fruits from natural food supplement stores.

To help the iron absorption you should consider taking a good vitamin C ( 1,000mg ) this good vitamin C  can be bough at your local food supplement store. Also consider buying a vitamin B complex ( it is critical you get a good vitamin B complex from the food supplement store ) which also helps the absorption of iron and general increase in your metabolism functions and cells and in your case we are interested in red blood cells that help prevent anemia which can be increased with vitamins B. Also avoid excesses of zinc,calcium, cadmium, nickel, magnesium, chromium, phosphorus and manganese.

After some time on a proper diet and vitamins and supplements you should see your ferritin and iron levels considerably good. So basically getting your iron up will increases the ferritin and lower the transferritin.

Best regards,
M4

Would only add that I wouldn't overdo the organ meats -- they are where bodies store toxins.  Iron is readily available in many vegetables, including beets, parsley, watercress, dandelion greens, and the like.  Most supplements are not very well absorbed and can cause constipation; one of the best is Floradix herbal iron, all plant derived, liquid, and doesn't constipate generally.
Also, one must get sufficient vitamin c to absorb iron.
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
CamLp uploaded new photos
May 02
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
May 02
Track your weight over time