Nutrition Expert Forum
Low Ferritin level
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low Ferritin level

My ferritin level has been low - I had a CBC that lead my Dr. to check Ferritin which was >3.  Tested about a month later, by a different lab, it was 9.  In the interim I'd been eating red meat (which I normally do infrequently) and trying to find a form of iron I can tolerate without nausea - to no avail.  I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy that showed no bleeding.  Had another Ferritin level done following that, by the same lab that had found 9, and it was up to 11.  I had discovered I can take Ferrous Gluconate, 1, at night.  It's not much, but it's something.  My periods are getting further apart, and they haven't gotten heavier overall, maybe for one of the days, but not dramatically.  I've been given mixed messages about how concerned I should be about this level.  My questions:  do you think I should see a hematologist?  Is a very gradual increase in the Ferritin level going to be sufficient?  I am eating as many iron-rich foods as I can, with vitamin C.  The Ferrous gluconate = about 25 mg of iron.  Any suggestions?  Thanks so much for your help.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'5"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
: