Nutrition Community
Low iron

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Low iron

I was told I have almost no iron in my  blood.  I also have a very low white blood count.  I have had several test done and still have no answer to why my iron is so low.  I am taking iron now, but have not had my level checked yet.  Any ideas?  Also does low iron cause tingling in hands and feet?
Thank you for your help.
Dietary iron is generally eaten in red meats, organ meats, and vitamin supplements. Other sources include raisins and almonds. Eating or drinking a food/drink high in vitamin C at the time iron is consumed can help in absorbtion of iron by the body.  The general reasons for low iron is 1) not eating foods high in iron, 2) low B12/folic acid and 3) lack of absorption. Hope this helps
Yes, thank you.  Also I have heard that low iron can cause tingling in hands and feet, which I have had since the birth of my baby 3 years ago.  Do you know if that is accurate?
Hey -- just posted above to someone with similar issues - I'll let you know my story.

I became anemic about 7 years ago, and no matter how much iron I took or how much red meat/veggies - no change!  Anyway, about 3 months ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease (cannot eat wheat or gluten) and my gastro doc said my unexplained anemia was my main symptom -- I had blood tested at the beginning and levels were 17 (normal is 40-160 or something) so with just the gluten free diet alone, levels went up! Now I'm on 325 mg a day until my next blood test in a month. But i certainly feel better!  Anyway, this could be a possibility... good luck! Keep us posted!

oh, and yes, i think the tingling is a side effect, my hands got shaky though.