Lowering Sodium and Carbs
Hello!

I NEED to lower the sodium and carbohydrates in my diet but I'm unsure how to do this. It seems EVERYTHING I have/can find is either a carbohydrate or has relatively high sodium levels.

What DOESN'T have carbohydrates? How do I go about eating less carbohydrates and maintaining a healthy diet.

I eat oatmeal in the morning, a sandwich for lunch, and have been trying to stick with fish or chicken for dinner.

Thanks in advance!
Glucose is the only fuel normally used by brain cells. Because neurons cannot store glucose, they depend on the bloodstream to deliver a constant supply.  This blood sugar is obtained from carbohydrates: the starches and sugars you eat in the form of grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables.  The only animal foods containing a significant amount of carbohydrates are dairy products.

A recent study showed those who consumed the least salt had a 56% higher risk of death from a heart attack or stroke compared with those who had the highest consumption.

Keep everything in moderation. :)
oh. wow. thanks!
Ditto what redstar said- everything in moderation.. so don't get rid of all your carbs and sodium.

However, maybe it might help you to switch your sandwich to a salad? Or at least double check the ingredients on that bread. Some bread is really high with sugars and low on good grains; some with 5 grams of fat per serve, and I've even seen a lot of generic brands that had high fructose corn syrup in it! Bread can be scary, so make sure you know what's in yours. And if you do switch to a salad, watch those dressings. A Caesar salad could be worse than a McD's hamburger as far as calories and fats go.

As far as sodium goes, watch your canned foods. If something doesn't naturally have a lot of sugar or high acidity (like fruits and tomatoes), the preserving agent is typically salt. So canned peas can have TONS of sodium in it, as can a lot of canned meats and soups. Another huge source of sodium is in broths. If you cook with chicken, beef, or vegetable broth just be cautious and aware of the amount of fats and sodium in them.
Thank you ladies.

I will buy some veggies to make salads for lunch, at least some of the time.