Nutrition Community
Multivitamin Types/Absorption
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Multivitamin Types/Absorption

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for your consideration of my question.

I know that there is debate over whether multivitamins offer any benefit, and indeed if they cause harm. I have decided to place my bet on the side that they are at least marginally beneficial for a person who does not receive optimal nutrition from diet.

QUESTION: Assuming that multivitamins have at least some value, which kinds of multivitamins are best? MVs are sold as chewable tablets, solid tablets to be swallowed, liquids, softgels, among others. Which of these types is most amenable to high absorption and optimal bioavailability of the nutrients they contain?

My instincts suggest that liquid vitamin elixers would be the best choice (although they seem to be the most difficult to find in retail stores); the hard tablets (bedpan bullets) seem like the worst choice.

I was hoping this discussion would be irrespective of different brands/combinations, and rather focus on the vehicle through which the vitamins are ingested.

Thanks for your thoughts!