Nutrition Expert Forum
Neuropathy & Magnesium

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Neuropathy & Magnesium

My friend has diabetes.  She suffers great pain in both her ankles and feet almost rendering her cripple.  Her doctors seem to not have any answers.  Her health has deteriorated so much from inactivity since she's had neuropathy with weight gain and depression that I'm very concerned and want some answers for her.

Potassium and Magnesium somehow relate to leg pain and I'm wondering what dosage is recommended for diabetics to take and if it is dangerous to take too high a dose of either.  She takes the 90 mg Potassium with Magnesium.  CAN SHE TAKE A HIGHER DOSE TO SEE IF SHE GETS SOME RELIEF???

Clydene

Potassium and Magnesium would not help her pain. If she has neuropathy, as you stated, it is from the diabetes. Research has proven that people who suffer from diabetes need to keep their blood sugar levels as close to normal as much as possible, at all times, to help lower incidents of further complications and possibly help with the ones they had developed. Diet, exercise, and medication help keep the blood sugar levels within normal range. You stated she is inactive due to pain in her legs. She can exercise her upper body by swinging her arms around and over her head, move her torso back and forth, and bend over, hands touching the knees or feet. I suggest she see a dietitian to help her with diet. There are new approaches to controlling diet with diabetes now.
Thank you for your question.
Thanks for answering.  My friend has gone to see a diatician and keeps her blood sugar levels within the normal range but the neuropathy pain continues to increase.  I am so concerned for her and have suggested she diet to keep the weight off since she's not able to walk or do normal exercises.  On top of the pain, she is now losing her sight from the results of the diabetes and is having lazer surgery.  She takes Neurontin for the pain.  Now you can see why I'm concerned to see a fairly healthy functioning individual become so disabled and inactive with pain.

I fell and damaged my breacheal plexus (sp) and have some neuropathy in my right arm so I can understand the pain she is having in her feet and legs.  I have suggested accupuncture to her but she is so down from her pain that she feels nothing will help her.

It's just so sad to watch loved ones suffer and it was so sudden.  Clydene
Sorry to hear about your friend and it is sad. Diabetes is a disease we have made great progress with, however, people do have complications that can be life threatening. Thank you again for your question and concern.
Clydene,

My sister is a Type 2 diabetic & has peripheral neuropathy pain & she takes  Supplemental Alpha-Lipoic Acid 1200 mg/ day.
She says if she runs out of it she can tell within a week  because the pain returns.  I've looked up some info regarding the
Alpha-Lipoic Acid  ,info is from Oregon State University, for you to read yourself....It's got lots of info so here's the spot your
looking for... http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/la/#dmneurop
Diabetes Mellitus & Diabetic Neuropathy. They are quite aways down on the page. A short-term study of 24 patients with
type 2 DM found that the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy were improved in those who took 1800 mg/day of oral racemic
LA for 3 weeks compared to those who took a placebo.

Motor and sensory deficits were also somewhat improved at the end of 6 months of oral LA therapy, but the trend did not
reach statistical significance. In the longest controlled trial of oral LA therapy, 299 patients with diabetic peripheral
neuropathy were randomly assigned to treatment with 1200 mg/day of racemic LA, 600 mg/day of racemic LA or a placebo.
However, after 2 years of treatment, only 65 of the original participants were included in the final analysis. In that subgroup,
those who took either 1200 mg/day or 600 mg/day of LA showed significant improvement in electrophysiological tests of
nerve conduction compared to those who took the placebo.

It helped my sister alot faster than this study & states.  She orders hers off the internet.that's the best price she could find.
I have seen it at Walmart though in the vitamin section.

God Bless You & Merry Christmas,
TJ

Here's more info maybe a little easier to understand http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/96legacy/releases.96/14316.html
Here's another one sorry, I guess I should have looked better at my search engine. I hope it helps... http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2003-rst/1733.html