Nutrition Expert Forum
Normal iron level

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Normal iron level
My current iron level is 11 and my doctor tells me it is still low. Another doctor. when inquired, told me that she'd expect that my iron level was 50.
What is considered a normal iron level?
The normal range for a female is 50-70 ug/dL, however, depending on the testing lab your MD had the test done may have another range. When a MD has blood work done the labs will return the test results with a range of normal for the testing equipment they use so the MD can see if the value are within normal limits or not. Women normally have lower iron due to menstruation. If you do have iron deficiency anemia suggest the following: Eat high iron food sources which are all meats, fish, dark green vegetables, beans, enriched rice (cooked), enriched pastas (cooked), and whole wheat breads. Vitamin C helps absorb Iron in the gut so it is good to have a vitamin C food with an iron food. For example, drink orange juice with the iron supplement or have mashed potatoes with meat at a meal. Hoped that helped you.