Nutrition Expert Forum
Nutrition after colectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Nutrition after colectomy

I am 49 yrs old (female) , had my colon removed and resection of small intestine to rectum 1 1/2 yr. ago . I am starting to have issues with bloating , hunger , indigestion, until now I have been doing ok except constantly dealing with staying hydrated . I had mine removed due to polyps (familial polyposis). Kinda frustrated with "food issues", one Dr. says eat high fiber,another said "no" . Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... oh, also why is it recommended to avoid caffeine, sugary foods and nuts ?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
nutrition after colectomy
The recommended diet for a colostomy is a diet with some fiber, however, excess fiber should be avoid. You should eat your food slowly and chew it well. 5-6 small meals daily would help instead of 3 large meals. As you stated you need to hydrate yourself (6-8 glasses of water or fluid) and a multi-vitamin supplement is needed. Lower the fat content of your diet and avoid sugary foods to help prevent osmolarity. It is okay to consume large amounts of fruit and vegetables but avoid gas-forming types (beans, barley, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, nuts, figs and soybeans). If dairy products (milk, cheese, puddings) are not tolerated, then omit and/or substitute them. Hoped this helped you.