Nutrition Expert Forum
Possible low magnesium, potassium; what to do?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

I think I have low potassium or magnesium levels.  My chest becomes tight normally along with arm and leg muscles and the albuterol doesn’t help breathing.  I also get extremely tired and like today and end up dozing in bed for most of the bed, getting more stressed out because I have a paper due that I need to work on but don’t have the energy.  

The symptoms have got much more severe in the last couple of months and the only thing that has changed is that I got diagnosed with reactive airways, although the symptoms have been going on since the summer.  Thus, now I am on 400mcg of inhaled steroids and albuterol before exercise and one lecture due to allergy flare-ups in the class.  I know both medications can lower potassium levels and many of the days, I do notice worse symptoms when I have taken the rescue inhaler.  

I was wondering if I should start a supplement of both or just try one for now.  I try to eat the foods high in the minerals but being here in Calgary most fruits and vegetables are very expensive in the winter and I just can't afford them. How long does it take to have a decrease in symptoms once I start taking them?
The symptoms you described are not the usual symptoms of low potassium or magnesium. When we have problems breathing it takes huge amount of energy to breath and the body does get easily fatigued. Suggest you get blood work done to check your vitamin and mineral levels. Then you would know if you were low in potassium or magnesium or any other vitamin or mineral, plus you would get proper treatment.