Nutrition Expert Forum
Possible low magnesium, potassium; what to do?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible low magnesium, potassium; what to do?

I think I have low potassium or magnesium levels.  My chest becomes tight normally along with arm and leg muscles and the albuterol doesn’t help breathing.  I also get extremely tired and like today and end up dozing in bed for most of the bed, getting more stressed out because I have a paper due that I need to work on but don’t have the energy.  

The symptoms have got much more severe in the last couple of months and the only thing that has changed is that I got diagnosed with reactive airways, although the symptoms have been going on since the summer.  Thus, now I am on 400mcg of inhaled steroids and albuterol before exercise and one lecture due to allergy flare-ups in the class.  I know both medications can lower potassium levels and many of the days, I do notice worse symptoms when I have taken the rescue inhaler.  

I was wondering if I should start a supplement of both or just try one for now.  I try to eat the foods high in the minerals but being here in Calgary most fruits and vegetables are very expensive in the winter and I just can't afford them. How long does it take to have a decrease in symptoms once I start taking them?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'2"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
90 ibs
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
: