Nutrition Community
Random Itching and small skin bumps whilst and after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Hi over the last month I have experienced random itching and hives on 4 different occasions whilst and after eating different foods as shown below:

1st - Rice, lentils mixed with Greek yogurt
2nd - Yogurt based soup
3rd - Sandwich consisting of a seed bread roll, houmous, tomatoes, lettuce and onions
4th - Vegetarian Sausages, backed beans, chips and tomato ketchup

Its starts with itchy palms, soles of my feet and inside the ear. Then the itching spreads across my whole body followed by tiny "bite-like" bumps appearing on some parts of my body, i.e. back of my legs, neck and face. Once I have then taken an antihistamine, the itching cools down and the tiny bumps eventually disappear.

Therefore my question is why this has suddenly started to occur, especially since I have always eaten all the above foods without ever experiencing any problems. Also if this is a food allergy, what particular food is it due to, since I cannot see any trend between the above meals.

I appreciate any help I can obtain with my above issue.

Dips
The easiest thing to try is to cut out wheat and dairy.  They are two of the most common food allergens and foods people have intolerances with.  The first two meals contained dairy, the second two most likely wheat (in the rolls, and then in the ketchup there could have been all kinds of hidden ingredients if it's not from a health food brand and possibly wheat gluten in the vegetarian sausages).  The soup also probably contained a lot of ingredients other than yogurt.  Hard to figure from that list, though.  And it could be from any number of things, not from anything you ate.  Could be from something you drank, or what you ate or drank from, or, because it's winter and your house is sealed, even something coming from the heating ducts.  Tough one.