Nutrition Community
Restless legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Restless legs

I need help with restless legs, i don't want to be on drugs. Calcium, magnesium, smells, lotions have done nothing

I am on half a milligram of clonozapam which is a small dose but its wearing off

Odds are i will have tried anything mentioned but ive asked over 40 forums with no answers.
It's associated with kidney problems, pregnancy, and iron deficiency. And you don't have to be anemic to be low enough on iron to experience RLS. If you have restless legs, you should have your serum ferritin checked: This is a measure of body iron stores-not just your hemoglobin and hematocrit, which is what doctors test for when they suspect anemia. If it's below 30, supplement with iron for two months.  I like Solgar's Gentle Iron or a tonic from Germany called Floradix Herbs Plus Iron (although this one is pricier) then check levels again in two months. Fixing the iron deficiency will often calm the restless legs.make sure you are getting enough magnesium-at least an extra 400 milligrams a day, preferably magnesium citrate or glycinate, which are absorbed better in the body than the oxide form.
Simple tonic soothes restless legs
If you don't have kidney disease and your ferritin level was okay. And pregnancy obviously wasn't a factor. It could be idiopathic, which literally means "causes itself." (This is a clever way doctors have of saying they don't know what the true cause is.) But try drinking a simple 7-oz. bottle of tonic water every evening it could settle restless legs.
Quinine sulfate, an old malaria drug, is also a time-honored, unofficial "off-label" treatment for restless legs. And good old tonic water has some quinine in it-enough to calm down some folks' symptoms. So in keeping with your desire to try a safe (and in this case cheap) treatment before resorting to a big-gun drug with big-time side effects, give it a shot.
if it's relatively a mild case. You may need more help-or an entirely different approach. If it doesn't work for you, start with the supplements I mentioned earlier. Opt for drugs as a last resort.
One of the most common drug treatments is low dose levodopa, the same drug used for Parkinson's disease. A newer agent for the same thing, Requip, is being pretty heavily promoted right now and may work better for some people. The anti-seizure medication Gabapentin, also known as Neurontin, can work. So can Klonopin, a benzodiazapene tranquilizer from the same class as Valium, but it can be habit forming. If a medication is the only thing that solves the problem, I say fine. But try the natural route first, and let me know how it works for you.

1) Try drinking a small bottle of tonic water in the evening for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

2) If not, have your serum ferritin checked. If it's below 30 ng/ml, invest in a good iron supplement (such as Solgar's Gentle Iron or Floradix Herbs Plus Iron) and take it for two months.

3) Along with the iron, take 400 mg of magnesium citrate or glycinate each day.

4) If the iron doesn't work either, talk to your doctor about one of the drugs that might be able to help: Requip, Neurontin, or Klonopin.
You mentioned that you don't want to be on drugs.  I'm having good success with the Inflammation-Free Diet Plan, by Monica Reinagel.  That's the title of her book.  She also has a website, inflammationfactor.com.  You should also look at www.rlcure.com, which is a website belonging to a different person who is a former sufferer of restless legs.  I know your post was two years ago, so I hope you see this.  This is like throwing out a message in a bottle.  Good luck.