Nutrition Community
Should I continue taking B12?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should I continue taking B12?

For the past few years I have had a lot of stomach problems. In November of last year I started getting really sick with not only stomach problems but other symptoms as well. I started getting dizzy spells, shortness of breath, heart palpations, vision changes, feeling faint, and I even lost a lot of weight over it. After a month of loseing a lot of weight and being really sick my doctor figured out that from my stomach problems I had a b12 defficancy. So she said I needed to start getting B12 shots probably for the rest of my life unless my stomach problems got fixed since I couldnt absorb b12 properly. I started getting the shots and It helped me a lot. Shortly after i started getting the b12 shots my GI doctor did a hida scan on my gallbladder and said my gallbladder didnt function correctly so I had it removed in Feb. Since then my stomach has gotten a lot better. I have gained weight and I deffinatly have a good appitite now. Im still not 100% better, I think my stomach still produces to much acid or maybe I still have Gasteritis but Im a lot better then I was. I still continue taking the b12 but I take the pills that dissolve instead of the shots. My question is do I still need to take the B12 since my stomach has gotten better? and does anyone know if b12 can cause weight gain? I dont want to gain all my weight back but I also dont want to get real sick again if I do need to continue taking b12. Any advice or ideas is greatly apprecated.