Nutrition Community
Sick after I eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Sick after I eat

Over the past 6 months I have become increasingly ill. It started with chronic hives as an autoimmune disease. They pin pointed it as being triggered by a severe allergy to gluten. During the past month I have developed a severe allergy to dairy as well. Though eliminating both helped relieve the sickness during and after I ate for a while, I have started getting sick again and I don't know why.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
I would advise you to see a primary care physician and get your diagnosis confirmed. Few other conditions which may mimic gluten allergy are irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease, lactose intolerance etc.Once the diagnosis is confirmed you may be advised gluten free foods. Eating gluten-free can lead to deficiencies in iron, vitamin B12, vitamin D, magnesium, fiber, and other nutrients .Products which are gluten free may be high in carbohydrates, fat, and sodium and lower in fiber. Homemade products may be more beneficial. A clinical examination will be helpful. Contact a healthcare professional. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and take care!
I eat completely dairy free and gluten free for a few months now. I take a multivitamin everyday and drink lots of water. I have been to my primary care physician and to a specialist along with the ER and 5 other doctors.
I'm confused about the doctor's answer.  How could eating gluten free cause those particular deficiencies?  B12 is found almost exclusively in animal foods, which don't contain gluten.  Vitamin D is made by the sun.  Magnesium is mostly found in green leafy vegetables, gluten free.  Fiber is everywhere, and many grains exist that don't contain gluten.  Iron is also mostly found in animal organs and green leafy vegetables.  While store bought gluten free products tend to be unhealthy because of the added sugar, there are no more carbs in millet than in wheat and no less fiber if you eat the whole grain.  Gluten free grains are also higher in protein and easier to digest than gluten containing ones, so they're actually quite healthy, just not wheat, which isn't a natural food anyway but one invented by humans.  And no adult mammal eats dairy, and too much dairy leaches magnesium out of the body.  Again, confused.  On the other hand, ciliac disease, the gluten intolerance, is overdiagnosed most likely when what is really going on is an intense overexposure to wheat primarily and dairy secondarily.  Many people supposedly with ciliac, for example, have no problem with spelt, a precursor to wheat, which is high gluten.  Just a thought.
Here's my issue. I've cut the dairy and the gluten and I'm eating 100% organic and balanced diet but I'm still getting very sick and I don't know what else to do