Nutrition Expert Forum
Special diet for kidneys and liver?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Special diet for kidneys and liver?

is there a healthy diet for people with lidney disease and chirrosis (cirrhosis) of the liver?  I know I should be on low sodium and low potassium ( per dr ) and a big list of what not to eat, but what is healthy and fun to eat?
Tags: kidney
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
kidney disease and diet
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
144 lb
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
49
It is important you follow the diet your MD gave you for your kidney, which will help your liver. To help the liver you can eat low fat foods (meats and dairy). Low potassium foods are as follows: Apples, Cherries, Grapes, Pears, Watermelon, Cranberries, Beans (green or wax), Cucumber, Onions, Lettuce, Carrots, Rice, Noodles, Cereal, and Bread & bread products. Almost all food has potassium in it so it is important you consume only the proper serving sizes (a large portion of a low potassium food can become a high potassium food) as indicated on your sheet you received from your MD. From your question, I cannot determine how progressive your kidney disease is at. Has your MD restricted your protein? To help you understand more about the diet/disease, suggest consulting, in person, with a Registered Dietitian (RD) and read about kidney disease. You can find an RD in your area from the American Dietetic Association website, www.eatright.org and find out more information about kidney disease/diet from National Kidney Foundation www.Kidney.org