Nutrition Expert Forum
Steroid weight gain

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Steroid weight gain

Since the beginning of April I have been on Steroids three times orally and once was given intravenus steroids in the hospital when ITP required that I have a platelet transfusion.  I have been off the last dose for about two months.  Here's the problem, I have gained a total of 25 pounds with the last 10 in the past two months.  My Hematologist tested and says that my thyroid is within normal limits as of a few months ago.  I have been dieting (eating 5 times a day, about 1500 cals) and working out 5 days a week.  I have not lost one single pound and I'm on my fourth week.  This is the first time in my life I have not had control of how my body is responding to diet and exercise.  Do you have any suggestions such as seeing an Endocrinelogists?  Is it possible that my body is battling within itself with the ITP and hanging on to everything it can...including weight?  I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm at a loss what else it can be or what I can do!    
It is difficult to loss weight with steroid therapy because steroids retain fluids in our bodies. I suggest you do go see an Endocrinologist, which will help you with ITP.